Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Less, More?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Is Less, More?

With all the gadgets there are for the AR rifle is it easy to over do it. What do you guys think about the fine line between necessity and too much. I'm not talking about "mall ninjas" but is it better to get rid of things you don't absolutely "need"? Or is a little coolness ok?

Feedback Score
    Depends on what you're using it for, but I would keep it as simple as you can. For me personally, an RDS, BUIS, VFG, and light are all I like to have on my ARs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Red Dot sight (T-1), Back up sight's, light, and sling attachments are all I have on both of my rifle's.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    For a fun gun, less is more. For SHTF, I like to have my Aimpoint with BUIS, a reliable light, and a sling.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    as said above, mission dictates the equipment. for my general purpose AR's its irons, light, sling.
    "I pity thou, fools who dost not choose BCM" - King Arthur 517 A.D.

.OlllllllO.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    A sling is imperative if you're running any other weapon system (or need to do anything other than hold a carbine).
    A weaponlight is something I consider to be non-optional on serious use guns... even during the day. They don't have to be huge, but it does have to be enough to illuminate stuff indoors or at night.
    Iron Sights - same idea, things break, optics fog; for the cost and weight it's silly not to run some.

An optic isn't required, but a solid red dot (Aimpoint PRO, H1, T1; EOTech EXPS) or low powered variable (Vortex/Trijicon/Nightforce 1-4x; Leupold/TrijiconVCOG/Swaro 1-6x) is a big force multiplying addition since they're easier to shoot especially at night or in awkward positions.

Anything else on a weapon I have to justify to myself as being worth the weight penalty it comes with. Suppressor on my short barreled rifle - yes, but I no longer want to put a heavy optic on it. IR Laser/Illuminator - if I have NODs with me sure, the rest of the time that lives off the rifle. Control accessories - if I shoot quicker with specific stuff it stays. It even applies to barrel mass - if I don't need precision, then I don't want extra barrel mass hanging off the front end of the rifle.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't know what defines a "gadget" but I suspect many of us on M4C have more than just a BUIS, optic, weapon light, and sling. Examples would include QD sling attach points, enlarged trigger guards for those of us in cold climates, upgraded triggers, ambi selector, QD optic mounts, and non-A2 muzzle devices to name a few common upgrades.

It really depends on what you want to do with the rifle and what features your rifle already has as "stock".

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    There's not too many people here who hang stuff on a gun without it having a functional reason. I can't even put my mind in the mode of putting something on my gun for appearance.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    There's not too many people here who hang stuff on a gun without it having a functional reason. I can't even put my mind in the mode of putting something on my gun for appearance.

Come on mark... you know this has your name all over it.

Feedback Score
    An optic and light are minimums. A VFG/AFG and a sling are good too. BUISs are optional, really. Other than that, I can't imagine what one would put on an AR to be "cool". But then, I'm getting old.

Maybe a laser? That's about all I can think of.
    Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC – 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast