Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting Range in Vegas sharing info on what works and what doesn't...

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Shooting Range in Vegas sharing info on what works and what doesn't...

I know most of you have seen Henderson Defenses posts about what guns, optics and mags work. It is pretty telling. I was recently looking at some of his posts on another forum and thought I would grab a couple interesting topics to discuss.

The first one is in regards to the HK MR556:

I purchased a FACTORY brand-new MR556 and it started keyholing after only 10,000 rounds. I was SO pissed because I spent all that money on the gun and it couldn't last 10,000 rounds. I had barrels from before we even opened the range with 1,000's of rounds on them from J&T Distributing (chrome-lined) that didn't keyhole well into the 80,000-100,000 range. I don't know who makes or made the J&T barrels but I was so pissed that actually wasted the money on a MR556 and that's all I got from it.

For those that don't know, the MR556 has a melonited barrel (not Chrome Lined like the 416). From talking to several BIG AR manufacturers, they reported that melonited barrels failed accuracy reqs well under 5,000rds when shot on FA. Apparently on SA, it takes a bit longer to fail (10k). Interesting....

C4

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    The cat's out of the bag.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    That is really good information. Can you post the name of the article so that we can search for the original? I know we can't post links to other places but this way we can find it.

Thanks
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Are you sure the HK MR556's are melonited? I contacted HK to ask about this in 2013 and they told me their MR556 barrels are neither chrome lined nor are they melonited/nitrided. Maybe HK just started meloniting them?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 01-03-17 at 15:45.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    That is really good information. Can you post the name of the article so that we can search for the original? I know we can't post links to other places but this way we can find it.

Thanks
    PM sent.

C4

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post

Thanks
    I hope there's no issue with posting a link to the TFB article:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-rental-range/

It's old (September 8, 2015), but has been pasted to about every major site over the years.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    How about other melonited barrels, I have a personal issue with LWRC based off the upper I bout from them, but are their barrels not forged and melonited? What kind reports on these?

As another poster said, it was my impression the MR556 is not melonited or anything similar.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cane55 View Post
    Are you sure the HK MR556's are melonited? I contacted HK to ask about this in 2013 and they told me their MR556 barrels are neither chrome lined nor are they melonited/nitrided. Maybe HK just started meloniting them?
    Yes. HK USA confirmed they are coated.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    How about other melonited barrels, I have a personal issue with LWRC based off the upper I bout from them, but are their barrels not forged and melonited? What kind reports on these?

As another poster said, it was my impression the MR556 is not melonited or anything similar.
    All the same. 3 of the largest gun companies have tested melonited barrels on their FA guns and decided to not use it.

C4

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast