Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering the Snub Nose Reload - Spares Carry

Feedback Score
    Nickle plated cases have been a bit slicker coming out of my 442, but look at the videos and go smooth and slow 'till you them all falling straight down. It was surprisingly easy for me to block one with the thumb of the gun hand.
    Last edited by PriseDeFer; 03-21-16 at 10:05.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    A few notes on MdB:

1. That is the most serious I have ever seen Michael. He is something of a joker. (Michael once introduced a fellow instructor by saying that the instructor would demonstrate a technique for one-handed, off-hand revolver reloading. The poor guy had no such technique in mind. To his credit, he was game and ad libbed one on the spot. It involved a sock.)

Reloading a J Frame using only the support hand takes time, but can be done if you practice a solid technique. I haven't heard about using a sock and would like to hear how that technique works.

2. Michael spent some time finding retired police snub shooters and asking them about their techniques, before they were lost to time and semi-autos. As I recall, the technique he demonstrates in the video is from Canada.

I started competing with revolvers in the 1970's and shot PPC with a revolver for years. I learned a great deal about how to shoot a revolver effective from LEO who worked in the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's. I was amazed at how fast some of them could manipulate both a full size revolver and a small 5 shot wheel gun. I learned a few things from LEO who had to use a j Frame to fight their way out of trouble.

3. Michael has also discussed the "Newhall Incident" in his classes. One alternative method that might have saved at least one officer's life was the "load two, shoot two" technique. I have not been able to get to the OP's speed with any method, so I might have to resort to that to prevent getting rushed. Flexibility is important, even as we search and practice for speedy reloads.

The incident in Newhall (Los Angeles) California is a good incident to study and revealed how training applies in a force on force incident
    I have multiple options for concealed carry, but most often choose a J Frame when leaving the house. If the opportunity presents itself, I wouldn't mind taking a J Frame course taught by Mr. de Bethencourt
    Last edited by T2C; 03-21-16 at 20:31.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    A couple things I've been working on to save reload time using speed strips.

-Drawing speed strips from something other than a pocket will really save time. I need to find a belt pouch that will hold one or two eight-round length speed strips. (maybe just a sunglass case?)

-Loading four rounds and indexing the empty chamber in line with the barrel is still quicker for me than loading all five.
    -Loading four rounds and NOT indexing the empty chamber is faster still.
    -Loading two and indexing so you get a bang on the next trigger pull is fastest, and could be done twice before ejecting brass again.
    -When time counts let cartridges that get loose fall.
    -Learn the proper ways of using your revolver as an impact weapon.

-As we already know, the rounder/pointier the bullet the easier/faster it will get in the chamber. (no more full wadcutters during practice and choose carry reloads accordingly)
    Last edited by Ron3; 02-19-17 at 23:16.

Feedback Score
    Ron3 I do have a 6 round of 38 speed strip pouch from RKBA and it is a great way to carry six 38 rounds, the strip comes out easily, no fuss or muss.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandaz3 View Post
    Ron3 I do have a 6 round of 38 speed strip pouch from RKBA and it is a great way to carry six 38 rounds, the strip comes out easily, no fuss or muss.
    Thanks.

Thats not bad. I was hoping to find/make something that will hold the strips horizontally (Maybe with a buttoned flap/cover) since my strips are pretty long. They hold eight rounds but I normally load them with five. They are easier to grab/handle.

Edited to add: Found this...http://www.dillonprecision.com/ihl-s..._22_25667.html
    Last edited by Ron3; 02-20-17 at 00:49.

Feedback Score
    that looks like it was designed for you.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I should run that drill again...
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score

Time vs reloads

I carry a model S&W model 36 and a backup model 36 as well hard to beat the NY reload for timed fire despite how fast you think you can reload under stress.
    I am the military products manager for Lasermax

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SGTMAJ View Post
    I carry a model S&W model 36 and a backup model 36 as well hard to beat the NY reload for timed fire despite how fast you think you can reload under stress.
    Not to mention if/when one of your guns goes down:

This is a firing pin from my J Frame 442.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was examining my friend's new, unfired 442 and with permission dry fired it. Each time sparks flew from the firing pin hole in the firewall. Obviously friction was the cause. In 47 years of handling Smith's I've never before observed this event and can't help but wonder whether or not it's a real issue.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast