Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: educate me on compact or subcompact DA/SA guns

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

educate me on compact or subcompact DA/SA guns

I am looking for a compact or subcompact 9mm carry weapon and would like to keep the DA/SA trigger. I shoot it much better and my competition/training/home defense guns are all 9mm DA/SA.

S&W 3913 - heard this is a really good gun, but the fact that it's discontinued makes me nervous about spare parts and magazine availability.

Beretta PX4 subcompact - ??

what else is out there?
    Last edited by GrandPooba; 08-14-11 at 20:13.

Feedback Score
    Sig P239
    Hk P2000sk
    Beretta 92 compact

Smith used to offer other models of compacts but not sure what is in production at this time. There may be others as well but these are the first that came to mind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandPooba View Post
    I shoot it much better and my competition/training/home defense guns are all 9mm DA/SA.
    And what guns are those?

A lot of people like having a different gun for every day of the week, but it makes most sense for your carry gun to be as similar as possible to the gun(s) you use most often outside of carry.
    "I have your number. Consider yourself warned."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opmike View Post
    And what guns are those?

A lot of people like having a different gun for every day of the week, but it makes most sense for your carry gun to be as similar as possible to the gun(s) you use most often outside of carry.
    +1

You'll be a much better shooter/gun fighter if you stick with one platform and NOT have several different models. "Fear the man who decides to only have one gun......he'll know how to use it."

I feel that the best DA/SA guns out there right now are the H&K series. Full sized models would be the P30/P30L or HK 45, compact models would be the P2000 and HK45c, and subcompact would be the P2000SK. Variant #3 is DA/SA with decocker which is usually the standard trigger configuration.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opmike View Post
    And what guns are those?

yes, hence the fact that I specified that they all be DA/SA instead of a mix of striker fired, single action, and DA/SA stuff.

All my shooting right now is done on the Beretta 92FS.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    ...... would like to keep the DA/SA trigger. I shoot it much better........
    While I own and carry a 3913, and it is an excellent carry choice, my experience with DA/SA is you will not be as accurate as you like with that first shot compared to an action like a Glock unless you are very close. Empirical data observed in a pistol class tells me the same thing. Lot's of first shot misses from the DA/SA shooters. Training will definitely help.

The 3913 is a very good choice and I would not hesitate to buy one for carry if you are a DA/SA guy. The mags are limited to 7 rounds, but that is why I like it. The single stack allows for a very slim grip.

Feedback Score
    CDNN has used S&W 6906's for cheap right now, and some retailers like Academy and Cabelas have Beretta 92 compacts, the first to be imported in about ten years. If you shoot mostly Beretta, it's worth giving them a look.
    Cyril: Oh now that's a breach of trust!

Lana: Do you really want to open this can of trust-breachy worms after I just found you and my ex-boyfriend with a dead hooker in the trunk?

Cyril: ...I do not.

A Dream of the Dark Continent

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    are all these S&W third gen semiautos like the 3913 and 6906 discontinued? The 92 compact would be great though though it apparently is quite difficult to find

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    are all these S&W third gen semiautos like the 3913 and 6906 discontinued? The 92 compact would be great though though it apparently is quite difficult to find
    The Smith's are discontiued, but some may still be made for large LEO contracts like NYPD (but theirs are DAO).
    The 92C is $568 at Bud's...http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/75958
    Last edited by cathellsk; 08-15-11 at 10:17.
    "When you go home, Tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, We gave our today."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Berettas are not what they used to be. Just like with Sig Sauer, the company cannot keep a high enough profit margin by producing expensive alloy frames while having a DA/SA mechanism and still compete in the polymer framed market. Sig and Beretta have outsourced many small parts, and they have started using cheaper quality aluminum alloy for frames in order to keep the prices down. The concequence is guns that have a shorter lifespan, and are more likely to break parts. M9 contracts are still using the high quality specifications, but those are not available to the public......just as contract M11s are not available to the public. The days of high quality alloy framed pistols that are priced under $1500 are over. Times change, and the competition has found a much more cost effective method of producing firearms that are equal or better to alloy framed pistols. Alloy framed guns cannot compete at the same price level and still be of high quality.

The PX4 is a "so-so" gun. New Orleans PD has had a number of issues with them as far as long term reliability goes. By no means is the PX4 in the same realm as the Glock, M&P, or H&K series. I'll say it again......H&K at present offers the best overall DA/SA pistol platform in all calibers, variants, and sizes. They have also never experienced a "slump" in quality as S&W, Beretta, Sig Sauer, and Glock have. Decade after decade, H&K firearms are top of the line.

This coming from a guy who has used nothing but Sigs for the last 12 years. If Beretta, or some other alloy/steel framed pistol is what you have your heart set on, most of those designs were at their peak in the early to mid 1990s. Try to find something in that time frame. My best Sigs range from 1988-1995, and the quality degraded after that as the market forces changed.
    Last edited by KhanRad; 08-15-11 at 10:44.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast