Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Larue, BCM, or White Oak 16" barrel?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    these are very nice. I have the clamp version but with three screws, it's not going anywhere. that said, if I could pin this FSB, I would...

I know GG&G doesn't get the respect that some of the top stuff does but in my experience, their stuff is very well designed and sturdy.
    +1 GG&G makes solid products
    I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns - Mark Wahlberg "Shooter"

Once you are able to kill mentally, the physical part will be easy. The difficult part... is learning how to turn it off. - Tommy Lee Jones "The Hunted"

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - George Orwell

Feedback Score
    Does anyone know if the VLTOR VIS will work with a barrel with a Wylde chamber?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theoak View Post
    Does anyone know if the VLTOR VIS will work with a barrel with a Wylde chamber?
    unless I've lost my senses, the chamber is on the inside of the barrel. why would this affect the receiver?

eta: OK, a less smart-ass remark - I don't believe there would be a problem. a Wylde chamber is only a modification of the chamber. it's most often used on competition guns. it's sometimes described as a cross between a .223 and 5.56 chambers but that's not really accurate as far as it goes.

nonetheless, what have you heard that might make you think this would affect the receiver?
    Last edited by ra2bach; 01-12-11 at 00:41.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This seems like the opportune time to ask this question...

The LaRue, WOA, Rainier, and Compass Lake offerings all have Wylde chambers, however I've heard that Wylde chambers may be too tight for true 5.56 ammo, such as MK262, and this is what causes many failures to extract on RRA rifles. This is why Noveske came up with their NMm0 chambers in the first place.

Is this simply a myth, or is it a legitimate problem? If it is legitimate, I would stick to the Noveske, Centurion, and BCM offerings.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Once in a great great while I see guns with .223 Wylde chambers have issues with 5.56mm NATO ammo. They shoot .223Rem and 5.56mm NATO a little more accurately than 5.56mm NATO chambers.

I have had no issues shooting 5.56mm NATO ammo out of BCMs SS410 barrels with their USMC SAM-R chamber.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robb Jensen View Post
    Once in a great great while I see guns with .223 Wylde chambers have issues with 5.56mm NATO ammo. They shoot .223Rem and 5.56mm NATO a little more accurately than 5.56mm NATO chambers.

I have had no issues shooting 5.56mm NATO ammo out of BCMs SS410 barrels with their USMC SAM-R chamber.
    Very interesting! Just for my own education, may I ask what the difference is between the SAM-R and 5.56 chambers are in comparison to the Wylde?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_247 View Post
    Very interesting! Just for my own education, may I ask what the difference is between the SAM-R and 5.56 chambers are in comparison to the Wylde?

Thanks.
    SAM-R is the USMCs version of the .223 Wylde. I have many more rounds through Wylde chambers FWIW. Both are tighter in the neck and throat.
    If one will ever use the gun heavily suppressed I'd suggest getting a 5.56mm NATO chamber.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_247 View Post

Thanks.
    Edit: Robb fielded the question effectively.

As it pertains to the tactical community, if you're not using match-grade rounds anyways, the Wylde aint gonna do much for ya. So IMO it has little if any place among the tactical community and belongs in the competition world. I also question the use of any unnecessary, competition-inspired barrel on a defensive weapon if, as Robb has just brought to my attention, it could cause any type of stoppage or malfunction.
    Last edited by Pax; 01-12-11 at 06:17.

Feedback Score
    All your choices are gtg. You could also look into Kreiger.

Feedback Score
    I just wanted to make sure the BCM 16" mid-length 1/8 SS410 with NATO match chamber is just as accurate as White Oak, Bartlein, Krieger, Noveske, Larue, etc.

Instead of the 16", I'm almost tempted to order a 20" BCM SS410 barrel, a rifle length VLTOR VIS, and a VLTOR A5 stock.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast