Thread: .22 LR conversion kits. Are they safe?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you shoot lead bullets in a barrel fouled by copper it is possible for heavy leading to occur. If you then switch back to jacketed bullets you can damage the barrel when the jacketed bullet runs over the lead. It is a well known fact among cast bullet shooters that copper fouling promotes leading. Users of 22 converters should be aware of this. If I was shooting a 5.56 barrel with 22s, I would run a patch down the bore with a rod, not a bore snake and not an Otis. You can feel heavy leading as well as see it. It looks like gray streaks.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 05-06-11 at 05:58.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Good info here guys. For those of you using a dedicated .22 upper what are you using? I'm trying to decide between a conversion kit and a 15-22 now a dedicated upper might get into the mix.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by austinN4 View Post
    I can see how not cleaning a serious lead build up might, but not just the simple act of using the kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    If you shoot lead bullets in a barrel fouled by copper it is possible for heavy leading to occur.
    I think we are saying the same thing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think if you are diligent in looking for lead and maybe even running a patch down the bore to feel for lead, if you are diligent the chances of damaging your barrel are very remote. Good 22 barrels shooting good ammo don't lead. The risk is in copper fouling that disposes a barrel to lead, then you don't see said lead, go back to 5.56 and OUCH!

Quote Originally Posted by austinN4 View Post
    I think we are saying the same thing.
    Yeah, except I would not shoot a jacketed bullet over any lead. I don't think you really can tell how thick it is by looking and I think even a little bit of lead causes a little bit of damage.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 05-07-11 at 17:39.