Thread: EOTech+riser for lower 1/3 + magnifier + BUIS, what to do... (riser mostly...)

Feedback Score

EOTech+riser for lower 1/3 + magnifier + BUIS, what to do... (riser mostly...)

I've been reading, and reading, and I just can't put it together properly

I currently have the EOTech and the magnifier is en route. I'm trying to figure out what else to purchase to make this all work together.

I have seen a few photos of the YHM riser along with a LaRue F2S mount for the magnifier and a folding BUIS of some sort used in conjunction. The few rifles I've seen using the above method have a "monolithic" upper rail, so it's not an issue for them. I'm worried it would be for me. My AR has a MOE forend, and I have no desire to change that now or in the future.

Will the LaRue or ADM risers allow me to fit them all on there? Will the YHM work where I don't think it will?

Failing any other option, I'll just have to learn to tolerate absolute cowittness for the time being.

Thanks for any and all help

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Which model of Eotech do you have?
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    511... got it in a trade. don't judge me

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    No judging here.

Check out Kyle Defoor's blog here:

http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/01/return-of-eotech.html

He's using an XPS model in the link above along with a LaRue riser.

I guess the question in your case is if the front of the 511 (while mounted on the riser) will clear your handguard. I think it will, but I'm not 100% sure.
    Last edited by SteveL; 04-28-13 at 19:24.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, the blog doesn't show me what I need, but was very helpful. I think when it's all said and done I could sell the 511 and buy an EXPS2 for about as much as it would cost to make the 511 work for me here. The difference would be less than one shift of overtime anyway

For anyone accessing this thread otherwise, Using an amalgam of photos gathered from around the net, I have figured out that the YHM riser needs a minimum of 8 rail slots to go from the forward stabilizing post to the actual clamp. the Troy BUIS leaves the T2 slot open and the YHM would cover past T6 from the front leaving T2 through T5 open. I haven't found any info on what flip mounts would fit, but I also haven't looked. This is also presuming that my counting is correct. I'm going to look into the Used EXPS market. Hoping for a 2-2 model.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I run a LaRue riser under the 552 on my duty gun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    I run a LaRue riser under the 552 on my duty gun.
    And? Do you run a magnifier? A rear BUIS? Does it all fit comfortably?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by praharin View Post
    And? Do you run a magnifier? A rear BUIS? Does it all fit comfortably?
    No magnifier, tried one once, found it worthless when compared to a 1-4X or an ACOG, Matech BUIS; plenty of room in my application. You talk about "tolerating" absolute co-witness as if you are sighting through the Eotech, focusing on the FSB. Try putting some tape over the front of the glass on the Eotech after you get it zeroed.
    Last edited by kmrtnsn; 04-29-13 at 08:34.

Feedback Score
    I had a 552 on a YHM riser and a G33 magnifier behind it. (Colt 6920 with Magpul MOE like yours) The YHM riser just barely fit on the receiver rail with the G33 mounted behind it. The front of the YHM riser will fit on about half the Picantinny rail but the set screw portion behind it had a firm grip, so I think it was OK, I shot it with no issues. The magnifier comes with a 7mm riser which I used as well. The G33 clears the Magpul rear BUIS with no issue.

I ended up selling the 552 and bought an Eotech EXPS 3.0 which is shorter and has a built in 7mm riser so now it's not even an issue. I ended up putting a DD Omega X rail on my 6920 so now rail space is plentiful.

The YHM riser and a G33 magnifier will work on a flattop with no extra Picantinny rail in my experience, if just barely.
    Last edited by swinokur; 04-29-13 at 09:18.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    No judging here.

Check out Kyle Defoor's blog here:

http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/01/return-of-eotech.html

He's using an XPS model in the link above along with a LaRue riser.

I guess the question in your case is if the front of the 511 (while mounted on the riser) will clear your handguard. I think it will, but I'm not 100% sure.
    I'm digging Defoor's blog.