Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Traveling overseas with ballistic armour.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I have a prediction for your trip to the UK.

At least once you will be stopped by the police, and they may even put you in a car and take you in for questioning. I know that if I saw a person dressed like that in Israel they would be looking at the business end of my Colt commando and even 1 deviation from my commands would result in a head shot. You would be proned out on the hot cement and we would wait for the sappers and a dog to come have a look at you. You would then be taken in for questioning by the Shabak.

Not how I would want to vacation.
    My backpack looks like a regular backpack. You can't tell it has IIIA armor, anyways.

I'm going to pass on the Class IV plate. It's too heavy for practical terms.

I'm with a Children's Choir, singing religious songs, not a political demonstration.

If you're grabbing at peaceful people like that in that setting, I'd never visit your country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    You clearly stated you would be wearing the following "slashproof sleeves/neck guard."

No matter how peaceful you are wearing such equipment in Israel, and I would bet anywhere today in the EU, you are going to end up talking to police. After so many suicide bombings, you will be looking at the business end of the nice police officers weapons.

If the police in the USA can have shootings over misunderstanding here in the USA over simple traffic or criminal matters. How much more on edge do you want cops to be that are dealing with terrorism.

We have no desire to bother peaceful people, but do something or wear something to make you stand out from "normal" and you will get talked to.

I have to tell you that based on 2.5 decades of living with terrorism and chasing terrorist, you can visit Israel and you will not need body armor. Tourist stand out to terrorist and aren't targeted. Tourist get hit in suicide bombings and depending on how close you might be to the terrorist will determine if body armor will do you any good. If you get both legs blown off and a few ball bearings in the head all of which has been laced with HIV positive blood and rat poison, life just sucks and is over.

Feedback Score
    You clearly stated you would be wearing the following "slashproof sleeves/neck guard."

No matter how peaceful you are wearing such equipment in Israel, and I would bet anywhere today in the EU, you are going to end up talking to police. After so many suicide bombings, you will be looking at the business end of the nice police officers weapons.

If the police in the USA can have shootings over misunderstanding here in the USA over simple traffic or criminal matters. How much more on edge do you want cops to be that are dealing with terrorism.

We have no desire to bother peaceful people, but do something or wear something to make you stand out from "normal" and you will get talked to.

I have to tell you that based on 2.5 decades of living with terrorism and chasing terrorist, you can visit Israel and you will not need body armor. Tourist stand out to terrorist and aren't targeted. Tourist get hit in suicide bombings and depending on how close you might be to the terrorist will determine if body armor will do you any good. If you get both legs blown off and a few ball bearings in the head all of which has been laced with HIV positive blood and rat poison, life just sucks and is over.
    I was told that by my friend. He said it's one of the safest countries in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    CDR Gl,

I want you to have the best possible trip you can have. I know that UK police have been getting training by us due to the style of terrorism they are now going through. We are very big on spotting things out of the normal and taking action. I know if I saw someone in the summer wearing something around their neck and with arms covered up in the heat, I would take action. I know as a commander if my men didn't take action and I found out about we would have a long conversation on if they are still up to the fight.

Today 3 Border Police officers were attacked and 2 murdered, 1 wounded in the old city in Jerusalem. Terrorist targeted anti terror para military cops and not tourist.

Feedback Score
    CDR Gl,

I want you to have the best possible trip you can have. I know that UK police have been getting training by us due to the style of terrorism they are now going through. We are very big on spotting things out of the normal and taking action. I know if I saw someone in the summer wearing something around their neck and with arms covered up in the heat, I would take action. I know as a commander if my men didn't take action and I found out about we would have a long conversation on if they are still up to the fight.

Today 3 Border Police officers were attacked and 2 murdered, 1 wounded in the old city in Jerusalem. Terrorist targeted anti terror para military cops and not tourist.
    Understood. But I want to be prepared if some terrorist came at me with a machete. Plus, I would wear a windbreaker so no one would see what I had on. My duty is to watch over the kids.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Paying attention to your surroundings and knowing what you are seeing is your first and best line of defense.

I think Yoni's point is that you should consider a more realistic threat assessment of your possible situation. With my family overseas the primary goals are always to blend in, escape, and evade...

Your questions are making the professionals here ask questions. Take that as a hint and try to enjoy the 99.9% chance you have a failed-school-shooter-lone-wolf-loser free trip and enjoy the UK!

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)

Is this something they really do? I don't doubt it, but this is the first time I have heard of this. If true, that is some nasty ****.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    Is this something they really do? I don't doubt it, but this is the first time I have heard of this. If true, that is some nasty ****.
    They do that in Iraq and Afghanistan, too, with IEDS from my trauma experience treating our military.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    Understood. But I want to be prepared if some terrorist came at me with a machete. Plus, I would wear a windbreaker so no one would see what I had on. My duty is to watch over the kids.

If it is a warm day and all those around you are in shirt sleeves and you are wearing a wind breaker, you will stand out and switched on anti terror cops and soldiers will wonder why.

You need to blend in, not stand out.

Go be a tourist, have fun. But keep your head on a swivel and be aware of everything around you. This will do more to keep you safe and the kids than anything you can wear.

Feedback Score
    Neck wraps and arm sleeves are over the top and are very ill advised in the summertime. That being said there is absolutely nothing wrong with a civilian backpack with a Level 3a insert in it so long as it is legal in whatever jurisdiction OP is traveling. Times are different and international travel is hit or miss depending on the destination. It's a backpack and he's going to look like every other American tourist. It's not like he's walking up to parliament in a plate carrier and full battle rattle.

What is more likely to save you and your family is full situational awareness. Develop a mindset where you are always planning. No matter where I am when I am walking down the side walk I am always looking for points of ingress/egress, cover, concealment, escape routes etc. In an age where just about anyone could clack off a vest or drive a van down a crowded sidewalk awareness is going to be your best friend.
    Worry less, Train more.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast