Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 450 Bushmaster versus 458 SOCOM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71 View Post
    I haven't shot mine with subs yet but with supers it makes a huge difference but Im also running a 9.5" barrel.

I went with the bowers because its a much larger can and with how much powder the socom uses I just don't think a 6.5" can has the volume to take care of that and Im not a fan of the higher pitch titanium cans make along with the sparking. Ive got one ti can and that was enough. Ill deal with the couple extra ounces of weight.
    Would you say the supersonics are "hearing safe" with the Bowers?
    I undetstand that's a very subjective question & I understand the cumulative affect that noise has on hearing loss. I'm not trying to build a rifle I can shoot without muffs - I'm just looking for any information I can find (subjective or otherwise) regarding how "quiet" one can make a 458s. Without any objective test data, I'm looking for opinions based on personal experience. ("Louder than a .22", "Sounds like a 20 gauge", whatever)

Thanks

Sent from mobile device (please excuse typos)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes the bowers vers50 is a hoss of a can but its only 3oz heavier than the much smaller volume wilson. Since mine is an SBR it has a lot of bark. With the can off it rattles the tin roof and shoots about a 2' fireball visible in broad daylight so on my setup the bowers can has a rough job to begin with. Id say its comparable to my 24" 308 with my recce 7 can. Its a relatively small for 308 can so its got some bark to it still but it doesnt hurt your ears and is a deep tone. I believe it is money well spent and Bowers stands behind their products 100%. The thread adapter I got had a slight ridge to it that caused a cold bore POI shift. I called Bowers and spike directly with Tom. He didnt make any excuses or try to blame the issue kn the barrel or me, simply said he was sending out a new one and a wrench. All he asked was that I let him know if that fixed the problem. I understand shit happens and knowing that I can make a phone call and talk to the owner if I have a problem and hes going to stand behind his product 100% will make merecommend them to others. It also helps that his product performs well and has a really nice fit and finish. I shouldbbe testing the new thread insert this weekend.
    Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone

Feedback Score
    Thanks, 1slow.
    That's the kind of feedback I was looking for.

I'm building a 14.5-inch and want to put a permanent muzzle device on it to avoid the SBR tax. Consequently I'm looking for a muzzle device that will accept a suppressor directly. The Wilson package seems like the a good way to get both but I can't find any real-world experience with the Whisper suppressor on a 458S. I'm hoping Suwannee Tim will chime in with his experience.

In the meantime, I've sent an email to see if I can get a Bowers VersAdapt built with 24mmx1.5 threads to fit the Wilson "Rapid Thread". I've already got an affirmative from QSM on that for their 450 suppressor (which they say is bored large enough for .458) but it's an even bigger package than the Bowers in every respect (1.9"x12", 41 oz, and $2100) - but I'll bet it's pretty good at quieting down just about anything short of a BMG.

Any other ideas on a muzzle device I can permanently attach that will accept the Bowers?

Thanks
    Last edited by tylojuky; 07-23-14 at 22:12.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tylojuky View Post
    Thanks, 1slow.
    That's the kind of feedback I was looking for.

I'm building a 14.5-inch and want to put a permanent muzzle device on it to avoid the SBR tax. Consequently I'm looking for a muzzle device that will accept a suppressor directly. The Wilson package seems like the a good way to get both but I can't find any real-world experience with the Whisper suppressor on a 458S. I'm hoping Suwannee Tim will chime in with his experience.

In the meantime, I've sent an email to see if I can get a Bowers VersAdapt built with 24mmx1.5 threads to fit the Wilson "Rapid Thread". I've already got an affirmative from QSM on that for their 450 suppressor (which they say is bored large enough for .458) but it's an even bigger package than the Bowers in every respect (1.9"x12", 41 oz, and $2100) - but I'll bet it's pretty good at quieting down just about anything short of a BMG.

Any other ideas on a muzzle device I can permanently attach that will accept the Bowers?

Thanks
    I can tell you that they can NOT build a VersAdapt in that thread pitch. I called Tom directly with that same question. While on the phone, he went down to his shop to confirm that there is not enough meat on the threads to be able to build one with that pitch. Therefore, I ended up filing a form 1 to build my own. I didn't feel like paying 1200 for the Wilson and their cans aren't known for performance anyway. Not to mention, I called them and they quote a ONE YEAR lead time to build one in 458....ridiculous. I may end up buying another Wilson barrel without the rapid thread brake and getting a Bowers for that pitch (don't recall what it is off the top of my head.)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    To answer the question about the effectiveness of the Wilson with the 458, with the 500 grain bullets it is pretty effective, not covert effective but hearing safe, I would say so. With 405 grain bullets, less so, with 350 grain bullets even less so. Not surprising as the lighter bullets require more powder and are less efficient in extracting energy from the expanding gasses leaving a good bit more energy to make a "boom". I am hampered by my circumstances, I shoot on a range with a roof and downrange baffles which reflect the sound back and there are usually other people banging away and then I have to wear earpro. I will eventually take them to an open area with no competition and hopefully I will get some better impressions. I will say that my impression, additionally hampered by lack of experience and exposure to cans, I am not that impressed by the Wilson.

Feedback Score
    Are the .450 Bushmaster and the .458 Socom interchangeable?
    Could you shot a 458 Socom out of a 450 Bushmaster rifle, or vise versa?
    "Among the men who fought on Iwo Jima, uncommon valor was a common virtue."
    - Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, US Navy, 16 March 1945.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by whitecoyote View Post
    Are the .450 Bushmaster and the .458 Socom interchangeable?
    Could you shot a 458 Socom out of a 450 Bushmaster rifle, or vise versa?
    No way jose.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    No way jose.
    Ok thanks
    "Among the men who fought on Iwo Jima, uncommon valor was a common virtue."
    - Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, US Navy, 16 March 1945.

Feedback Score
    Here is what I recently posted on another forum.

I wanted to see if they could use the same bolt, purely out of boredom.
    They are not the same, aside from the obvious differences in chambers.
    I've had both (sold the 458).
    The 458 will have mild slop in the 450 AR-bolt face and the extractor wont fully seat, slightly deceiving as it clears the case body at the groove.
    And I wasn't able to seat the 450 into a 458 bolt.

Base of the 450: .473
    Base of the 458: .471
    Rim of the 450: .054
    Rim of the 458: .048
    Extractor groove of the 450: .409 x .040
    Extractor groove of the 458: .393 x .055

Feedback Score
    Doesn't the 450 BM use .451" pistol bullets, and the 458 SOCOM use .458" rifle bullets?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast