Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SIG P226 chipped muzzle crown

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post
    And this is another good example of why you should always carefully inspect the firearm before you fill out any forms for it and take posession of it, and make sure the place you bought it from will accept returns.

A simple field strip would have revealed this, and even that would not have been required to notice these chips on the crown.

Buyer beware.
    Yeah, I was kicking myself for not catching it when I did the FFL transfer. I gave it a once-over and even popped the upper off the frame to check the rails and locking block, but I never got a clear look at the front of the barrel since I was exercising good muzzle discipline, and I didn't see anything that would indicate that something was off--the slide and frame looked better than what I've been seeing in SIGs of late. Doom on me, I guess, and lesson learned. My FFL is going to hate me as I do everything short of detail-stripping and x-raying in the future...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    UPDATE:

Yesterday the SIG rep told me to send in pics, and that they would forward the pics on to the gunsmith for inspection. He made it sound like the gunsmith wouldn't be available until Monday, but when I e-mailed the pics I got an out-of-office reply and it turns out the REP was out today. So I called back and asked to deal with a new rep, who asked me to forward the pics to him so that he could send it on to the gunsmith. I sent them in, and by the time I finished typing the post above I had a new e-mail asking me to confirm my e-mail so that they could get me a shipping label to send my barrel in, and as soon as they got it they would send out a replacement.

The first rep was a tool, but I'm more than happy with how the second one is handling things. I'll keep everyone updated with how everything proceeds.

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jck397 View Post
    I never got a clear look at the front of the barrel since I was exercising good muzzle discipline
    I like to field strip every handgun I buy and inspect it carefully. Lesson learned for next time, no doubt.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    Another example of the SIG dictum?
    European manufacture = Yes
    U.S. Manufacture = NFW

I lived the dictum too.
    The above adds such value, thanks for sharing. Not!
    Last edited by gtmtnbiker98; 09-19-14 at 13:14.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    It's not always so easy to catch something at time of purchase, especially when some guns are coated in what seems like a gallon of grease and oil. Most of the shops I deal with will let you do an inspection but some start to get nervous when things get torn down. In the excitement of the moment it's easy to miss the little things, look at buying a new car only to get home and find the ding that was in the door parked away from you or the one the salesman was leaning against the whole negotiation.

I would have been hard pressed to catch anything on my two Baer pistols as they came shipped in a ziploc bag with what amounted to a bottle of CLP, even after toweling off it was leaking out from everywhere.

I'm sure Sig will make it right, it's only a barrel and should be an easy swap, still sucks though!

Feedback Score
    if it is used have SIG/the seller fix it

if this was used then I would try it out and if it didn't group well I would try to recrown it if SIG wouldn't fix it but there doesn't seem to be much extra barrel length if any

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    UPDATE

Still waiting for SIG to send me my replacement barrel. But...Osage County Guns somehow came across a NIB MK25 replacement barrel with the phosphate finish AND the chrome lining. Couldn't pass that up, so put in the order, and just got it today. Good, tight lockup, and great quality on the barrel. Going to put some rounds downrange next week, and when SIG finally gets around to having some P226 barrels in stock, I figure the one they send will go up on the EE NIB. I will update the thread with a range report of the new gun, but all-in-all I'm very impressed with how the gun handles in dry fire. Racking the slide feels like the SIGs of old, and I hope it shoots as good as it looks. Also installed an SRT kit, replaced the pinchy short trigger with a standard trigger, and threw on a set of G-10 grips with stainless hex screws. All that is missing now is a set of Ameriglo Spartan Tactical sights and a Safariland 7TS holster...

Attachment 29103

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Did Sig ever came around to shipping you the replacement barrel?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gesundheit View Post
    Did Sig ever came around to shipping you the replacement barrel?
    Yeah, got the barrel a couple of weeks ago (should be going up on the EE soon...) BUT had to send the gun back to SIG back to the factory because I got 9 class 3 failures to extract in the first 200 rounds. They only had it about a week and on Friday I got the notification that it's coming back, so we'll see what they had to say...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Well I hope the Sig comes back in tip top shape.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast