Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 VS SIG 556

Feedback Score

AR-15 VS SIG 556

I want to build either a new AR-15 or a Sig 556. I am definitely leaning towards the AR-15 as this would be my first AR. Unfortunately I live in California so I will have to abide by some Nazi like rules however I am committed to work within the law. I am willing to spend up to 2k. I want it to have an EO tech sight but am flexible in that regard. It must come in the dark earth, "sand looking" color though as I love that color. Any ideas of where I should start would be greatly appreciated !

EDIT - Now that I think about it telling you guys my goals with this might be helpful. I want this to be a accurate and reliable SHTF weapon. I do like to shoot recreationally but I want something that could save my life in a pinch with its deadly accuracy. Thanks again I appreciate your guys input in parts and optics and such!
    Last edited by Lwhennen; 11-02-13 at 17:54.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    Thanks I missed the part about completed rifles. Can a mod move this to the appropriate section or should I repost ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lwhennen View Post
    Thanks I missed the part about completed rifles. Can a mod move this to the appropriate section or should I repost ?
    They'll move it. Welcome BTW.
    To answer your question, I'd go the AR route. $2k is a decent budget but isn't enough if you're wanting to go all out, especially if you're including optics. I'd take it slow. Buy quality parts when you can afford them. There are plenty of good manufactures to buy from. Read around a bit, the same names will keep popping up.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lwhennen View Post
    I want to build either a new AR-15 or a Sig 556.........I want something that could save my life in a pinch with its deadly accuracy......
    As far as I know the only way to build a SIG 556 is to work for SIG. Most components are not available as aftermarket parts.

As far as saving your life with "deadly accuracy", the circumstances where a civilian needs an accurate rifle to save his life are extremely rare if not nonexistent. What sort of life or death confrontation are you anticipating?
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 11-02-13 at 18:41.

Feedback Score
    I live in Kal-i-for-nia. Buy a lower , assemble it. Then buy a BCM upper of your choice and call it done. Through the hard work and donations Gov Brown didn't sigh the law that would "ban" semi auto rifles so make sure you give some $$$ to a pro second amendment organization so you can shoot the guns you own. Deadly accuracy is a whole different subject.
    Last edited by SteveS; 11-02-13 at 20:27.

Feedback Score

AR-15 VS SIG 556

My suggestion is buy a complete BCM lower from Grant at G&R Tactical. Blemished lowers are like $350. He will ship to the FFL of your choice with a bullet button (vamfire) installed. He will also upgrade to a Geissele trigger if you like. Then order an upper from BCM, Grant, Daniel Defense, Ranier Arms, Noveske, or any other retailer of your choice.

I'm stuck in CA as well. I'm afforded a few perks as LE, but I'm stuck in the same boat for AR's as my Chief won't sign letterhead.

ETA: Photo from last trip to the range
    [/URL]
    Last edited by fourXfour; 11-02-13 at 21:59.

Feedback Score
    Slight tangent perhaps, but I have a Sig 556 Commando from 2007. Very reliable, very accurate.

I had one failure of a part in this gun, which was my fault- improperly reinstalled the charging handle after a field strip and caused a failure of the rocker tab that holds it in place. SIG replaced the part, no questions asked and no charge. But not a chance in hell that I could find that part in any gun shop, unlike the AR platform.

Which is why I shoot my Colts about eight times more often.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I would go with a BCM carbine with whatever in spec lower you can find, and put a quality LPK in it.

As for deadly accuracy, the AR has proved that it does fine in battle. If you are thinking EOTech, then super accuracy is not an issue.

Feedback Score
    A new production Sig 556 should not be in the same sentence as the words "reliable" or "SHTF".

Buy an AR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast