Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Question For airweight J-frame shooters

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Krampus,

I saw that pick of your GF and thought it was you. I was like, I REALLY NEED TO FOLLOW KRAMPUS MORE CLOSELY!!

I ran 50 rounds of 158 Monarch HP through mine today. I have completely lost count of how many rounds I have run through it.
    Ha ha ha. Those are 26 year old petite Chinese female legs. She makes the Jframe look gigantic.
    Lost count? What will become of the infamous thread? Also, how is that flashlight working out? Im thinking of getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    4,563 rounds and counting.............
    Dear jesus that's amazing. Carry on!
    Clay....Bill Clay.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    65 more. Total is 981.

So why just shy of 1000 you ask, which I have been eagerly working my way towards for months, enduring the pain, spending the money, making the time to hit the range.....

Well my 442 didn't catastrophically fail. But it let me down.

The center pin that locks the cylinder into the frame, was binding and was stuck. I noticed this when I depressed the cylinder release latch , and it was very rough. It took a bit of force to depress it and release the cylinder. It would hesitate and stick, and sometimes bind halfway outwards.

At the time the gun still functioned, but I was not about to risk firing. The center pin, which may only be retaining the cylinder with half its engagement length, dragging itself out and sheering/galling the hole in the recoil shield after detonating a round was a very real possibility I gathered. Screw that. I packed up and left. Just shy of 1000. Bad day.

I got home and took the cylinder out of the frame, took the yoke out, unscrewed the ejector assembly (which was a real freakin whore) etc, and had a look at what was going on. When looking through the ejector, where the center pin slides in and out, I noticed raised bumps of metal that must have been poor machining marks. I took some fine sand paper to both the pin and the inside of the ejector and smoothed things out.

Now everything seems to be fine again. No more binding. I have no clue why it decided to exhibit this now and not sooner. Very weird.

I'm going to carry on and continue forward.
    Clay....Bill Clay.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You'll hit 1,000 or 2,000 rounds before you know it. A drop of oil between the ejector rod and cylinder is a good idea after cleaning.

There is another thread on the accuracy of the J Frame. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...(642)-Accuracy
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    You'll hit 1,000 or 2,000 rounds before you know it. A drop of oil between the ejector rod and cylinder is a good idea after cleaning.

There is another thread on the accuracy of the J Frame. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...(642)-Accuracy
    T2C
    I have oiled that area every cleaning I have done, which has been after every range session. And at least once, every two weeks. What was going on was a raised bump of metal that inhibited the center pin from moving freely. What is strange is that this problem didn't pop up until last night. Can not explain that one.

Yeah I'll have a look through that thread, thank you for the link man!

SO, TONIGHT, after work, I have passed the 1000 round mark. 75 rounds fired. The center pin did not bind nor did it stick tonight.

Brings the total to 1,056 rounds.

When I first started shooting my jframe, I really planned on just making sure it worked and that was about it. Shooting this damn thing to the 1000 mark wasn't hard, but damn........ It took some grit. I can definitely understand why certain people would fire 20 rounds and just put it down.

Im starting to grow attached to it, I love this gun.

I'm going to continue, and stay the course. My GF (Awesome of her) just bought me some Eagle Secret Service Grips for it, looking forward to receiving them.
    Last edited by KrampusArms; 07-31-15 at 22:20.
    Clay....Bill Clay.

Feedback Score
    Glad your enjoying the S&W...but geez, man get some gloves and save your skin/hand!

It's not less manly it's just smart. Every mammoth hunter with a spear, every Roman with a Gladius, every Knight with a lance, every American Colonist with a Musket, and every US Special Ops guy prefers to wear gloves to protect his hands during extended training sessions!

You don't have to hurt your hands while training.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Glad your enjoying the S&W...but geez, man get some gloves and save your skin/hand!

It's not less manly it's just smart. Every mammoth hunter with a spear, every Roman with a Gladius, every Knight with a lance, every American Colonist with a Musket, and every US Special Ops guy prefers to wear gloves to protect his hands during extended training sessions!

You don't have to hurt your hands while training.
    Yes, absolutely.

I really only jacked up the webbing of my hand/knuckle about 3 times. At the time I did not want to stop the shooting session, so I just said screw it. I had no gloves or bandaids, so I just kept firing.

Since the last couple range visits, I have been using a mechanics glove on my right hand, with the index finger removed. I can usually make it about 30 rounds before the skin on the web of my hand starts to rub raw. After 100 rounds, the repeated impact just removes the skin. I honestly don't know if its my grip, soft skin or what.

The webbing of your hand is an annoying place to have any kind of wound and I have started using a glove, thanks man.
    Clay....Bill Clay.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    150 more fired. Again all Magtech 158 grain.

35 rounds a few weeks ago, and 115 rounds tonight. Brings the total to 1,206.

My GF bought me a set of the black ebony Eagle secret service grips. These grips are very nice. Exquisite really. I had to get a different model of Clipdraw, as the screw in style wasn't compatible with the Eagle grips. I ordered the universal type that attaches with a very high bond tape, and I had to grind down one side of the mounting plate just a bit to fit right. Pleased overall with the Clipdraw.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KrampusArms; 10-24-17 at 23:14.
    Clay....Bill Clay.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Gentleman
    Its been a long hiatus. My last post was the last time I fired my J-frame. Life got in the way, money, lost my hot girlfriend, and much of the enthusiasm I once enjoyed.

I digress. Seems a number of years have past......

I took my J frame out for what I thought would be just another session, little did I know.

The grand total is 1261. The trigger stud snapped. I broke it.
    Clay....Bill Clay.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KrampusArms View Post
    Gentleman
    Its been a long hiatus. My last post was the last time I fired my J-frame. Life got in the way, money, lost my hot girlfriend, and much of the enthusiasm I once enjoyed.

I digress. Seems a number of years have past......

I took my J frame out for what I thought would be just another session, little did I know.

The grand total is 1261. The trigger stud snapped. I broke it.
    Trigger stud?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yes sir Mr. T2C

The "stud" or pin, that the trigger pivots upon. I fired 55 rounds at the range. Everyhing was fine, until I got home and did a function check after cleaning. When my trigger would reset, something just didnt feel right.

I opened the side plate, and discovered that pin had snapped.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast