Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: AR500 Plates good to go?

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys for the great wealth of knowledge.

First threat is guys on the range during classes.

Insert 2nd threat and what not

Last would be SHTF

While I have given though to which is great threat from day one comes back that most peoples shoot combination of M193 and M855. At least I do, so that's where the problem/ balancing act starts.

AK round while has more inertia, it does not have the velocity. Anything over 3,100-3,200 ft/sec will go through AR500 plate.
    Last edited by Djstorm100; 09-07-14 at 02:14.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    What steel composition are these AR500 plates people are punching through?

There are differences in cheaper plates vs quality more expensive steel plates, thickness, steel used, process of hardening, etc. I have target plates that have seen thousands of rounds of m193, thousands of rounds of 9mm, and thousands of rounds of Soviet 7n6 and they're still standing with pock marks at the most.
    I believe most of the 'armor" AR500 plates are 1/4 inch thick, while target are 3/8 or larger.

One thing not mentioned so far (that I saw) is spall. While you can jury-rig it with soft armor or LineX or something, do you want the risk of a round peppering your throat or face?
    Last edited by Caduceus; 09-07-14 at 18:44.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    I believe most of the 'armor" AR500 plates are 1/4 inch thick, while target are 3/8 or larger.

One thing not mentioned so far (that I saw) is spall. While you can jury-rig it with soft armor or LineX or something, do you want the risk of a round peppering your throat or face?
    the coating would hold it (hoping)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post

The youtube and in person testing I've seen of the ar500.com coating reduces spall/fragging to 0.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly16 View Post
    The youtube and in person testing I've seen of the ar500.com coating reduces spall/fragging to 0.
    At what angle if impact? 100% perpendicular sure but how well does it do at say 45* or lower? In the past I've sent emails to both ar500 and the target man specifically inquiring on that attribute and I never received a clear answer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    At what angle if impact? 100% perpendicular sure but how well does it do at say 45* or lower? In the past I've sent emails to both ar500 and the target man specifically inquiring on that attribute and I never received a clear answer.
    Sorry never seen that kind of testing done.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly16 View Post
    Sorry never seen that kind of testing done.
    Yea, that's my biggest gripe. Logic dictates any coating will do absolutely nothing to mitigate spall let alone stop a ricochet. Only the likelihood in real life of receiving anything other than a straight on hit is obviously much much higher.

Better than no plates at all I suppose, but still.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    What steel composition are these AR500 plates people are punching through?

There are differences in cheaper plates vs quality more expensive steel plates, thickness, steel used, process of hardening, etc. I have target plates that have seen thousands of rounds of m193, thousands of rounds of 9mm, and thousands of rounds of Soviet 7n6 and they're still standing with pock marks at the most.
    Most steel targets give you a minimum safe distance for rifles, and that is to allow the velocity to drop before it impacts the steel.

Example: http://store.actiontarget.com/static.../pt-torso.html
    - Steel grade: 3/8” AR550 armor steel
    - Handgun shooting distance: 10+ yards
    - Rifle shooting distance: 100+ yards using ammunition below 3,000 fps

Once you cross the steels velocity threshold, rounds can literally melt/punch right through it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Not to mention target steel is thicker than armor steel.

AR500 is the Bushmaster of hard armor.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I am really curious to see their new line of level 4 plates get tested.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast