Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Precision Armament AFAB-Mini Flash Hider/Compensator?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Holiday View Post
    Cool, 16''.
    Yeah, then you should experience a marked improvement by going to the AFAB. As barrel length decreases, the concussion of any device increases.

Just shooting an A2 on a 10.5" barrel can be brutal. Put a brake on that barrel and, DAMN. So, you get the picture.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Awesome. Yea my buddies who are spotting me are tired of getting whacked. And when they sit behind me they are complaining about how loud the thing is so I've been slowly shopping for awhile doing my homework trying to find what is best to help with recoil and muzzle climb.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Holiday View Post
    Awesome. Yea my buddies who are spotting me are tired of getting whacked. And when they sit behind me they are complaining about how loud the thing is so I've been slowly shopping for awhile doing my homework trying to find what is best to help with recoil and muzzle climb.
    This would be an improvement, no doubt. If you can settle for a device that has no recoil mitigation, the PWS Triad seems to be a good comp that is decent at keeping the muzzle down.

I NEVER operate in a stacked setup. I'm a solo patrol deputy so I'm either alone or maybe in a pair or trio of deputies as we respond to a critical incident. If you're on a tactical team, then it's possible that ANY muzzle device that is designed to reduce recoil isn't for you. However, much to many forum member's chagrin, VERY few members here have to function in a true tactical "team" environment.

So, in reality, the only common situations these brakes suck is either in a class environment or inside an enclosed structure without earpro. For classes, I'm about to say something that is unpopular: f^ck my buddies that are on he line next to me. I don't go out of my way to annoy them, but I don't go to classes to train for classes...I go to classes to train for REAL LIFE...which, for me, is me functioning ALONE in a hostile environment the vast majority of the time. I have been next to several people who were using ported brakes and instead of whining, I doubled my ear-pro and trained-on. There's no guarantee that my opponent's muzzle report will be any quieter.

I think that a device that helps me deliver faster follow-up hits on target gives me a tactical advantage that I am (personally) willing to accept in trade for a reasonable level of additional muzzle blast and a little more flash (only a little) as compared to an A2. That is a personal decision that I have made. But, I have heard too many people make blanket statements (in various different threads, on this forum and others) about muzzle brakes in a "self defense environment" as being the "wrong" choice.

Now, obviously, this is an intensely personal decision and there may be people who simply find most muzzle brakes/comps to be unpalatable or who do actually function on a team. That is fine...but I don't like to dissuade somebody from TRYING some of these hybrid devices. Most of my buddies in patrol now run some type of hybrid device on their patrol carbines. These are some of the devices that they use on patrol: PWS FSC556, BC series, RA XTC comp, GA M4SD-II Flash Comp, AAC BrakeOut 51T, BCM Comp, PWS Triad, LanTac Dragon, SF MB556K brake, Troy Claymore, YHM 5C2, etc.

The guys whom I encounter that are running A2's quickly transition from those to SOMETHING else. I said all that to say that I encourage people to experiment with quality muzzle devices. It's great that we have so many choices and each person will and SHOULD develop their personal preferences according their situation and needs. There will never be a one-size-fits-all muzzle device, including the AFAB.

These are the good ole days.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    Cool, thanks for the time you put into everything to help everyone out including myself!

-Drew
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    BTJ - thank you for the review and feedback, makes me feel good to be part of M4C!
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - John Dean "Jeff" Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by E-man930 View Post
    BTJ - thank you for the review and feedback, makes me feel good to be part of M4C!
    It's a team effort, but thank you. There are many here who contribute far more than I do. Just a cog in the machine, sir.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Alright.

Got my new upper sighted-in with irons and my micro. Smoothest shooting setup I've ever run.

Used a Vltor A5H4 buffer, wolff RP rifle spring, LMT E-carrier (w/ std LMT bolt), and a Rainier Arms Mountain Series 18" barrel with rifle length gas system. Rail System is Rainier Evo 15".

I had nobody to hold the camera for me, so I used one hand to hold the camera (away from the gun) and the other to shoot. I had a BFG VCAS padded sling, but it wasn't much help with one handed shooting.

Muzzle dip doesn't seem to be a problem....but I wasn't able to evaluate flash since it was very bright out.

Recoil impulse was softer than a BC...much more like my FSC556 equipped BCM 14.5" middy. However, the side blast and concussion was much reduced from the FSC556 when shooting from under a metal roof. I also shot from prone, but the ground was wet so no info on dust kick-up.

Bottom line, I'm VERY pleased so far. Only ran about 90 rounds through it today...but I'm very happy with the performance. More shooting impressions later...I got a hot date for the evening.
    This flash comp has definitely piqued my interest. Thanks for guinea pigging this. There certainly appears to be a heavy KAC influence as evidenced by the outward appearance, looking like a cross between the 3T and the MAMS. I've gone from the Spike's to Griffin Armament and now the MAMS. I'm tempted to grab one to try out on my 11.5" carbine.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    This flash comp has definitely piqued my interest. Thanks for guinea pigging this. There certainly appears to be a heavy KAC influence as evidenced by the outward appearance, looking like a cross between the 3T and the MAMS. I've gone from the Spike's to Griffin Armament and now the MAMS. I'm tempted to grab one to try out on my 11.5" carbine.
    KAC has some serious R&D to aid in the creation of their products. I wouldn't expect the AFAB to outperform a MAMS. I would be VERY impressed if it just came close to matching it in all aspects.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You're making this very hard for me to keep pretending I don't want to pick one of these up to try. I'm looking forward to a review after some more rounds for sure. Thanks for guinea pigging this!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    KAC has some serious R&D to aid in the creation of their products. I wouldn't expect the AFAB to outperform a MAMS. I would be VERY impressed if it just came close to matching it in all aspects.

I've got one inbound. If I could find someone in the DFW area with the KAC to do a side that would be great.

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast