Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Back up iron sites, need opinions.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Tread On Me View Post
    I keep a host of spare parts on hand, everything from gas rings to complete BCG's and in the odd event that an FCG shits the bed, one of those, too.
    Really? You keep all those spare parts on your rifle in case they fail? That's pretty amazing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Literally anything can fail...so whats the point on espousing importance of running a BUIS? Ive had what many consider a top tier BUIS fail when all it did was sit on top my rifle folded. Flipped it up one day and it wouldn't stay up like it had erectile dysfunction. Ive never had any of my aimpoints fail and they probably take more impact than my folded irons ever did.

People in this thread keep talking like irons are some infallible sighting system when nothing can be further from the truth. And the truth ****ing hurts, my aimpoint can withstand far more abuse than any folding BUIS ever will.

I somewhat see your point. If you think of the BUIS as a reserve parachute, it is insurance, not really likely to be needed (unless you trash pack) and not infallible, sometimes reserves don't work. But having one gives you at least a shot at success.

I consider fixed sights on a rifle equipped with an optic as BUIS, I don't know if that is a terminology difference which is an issue. They are certainly robust.

I currently have 11 AR's in the safes, 3 have BUIS, 2 have fixed sights, 4 have only optics of some sort, and two are sightless - it is more fun to build them than it is to buy optics. The rifle I shoot the most has ARMS 40L's on it, the others are polymer - magpul and ARMS 71's. The ARMS 71 polymers are the last ones I purchased. They are on my wife's rifle and I probably won'y buy any more flip ups for my rifles.

Why? Because I don't carry or train with a rifle for duty use any longer, and I don't envision any scenarios where they would be a life-or-death item on my rifles. Much the same reason I don't store/carry back-up batteries, bolts, etc. on my rifles. If it breaks I go back to the truck, get another one and fix the broken one when I get home.

Different folks have different perspectives.

Run a BUIS or dont run a BUIS. In the end it doesnt really matter, its just minutiae that people waste their time talking about. And its not even fun minutiae like what HD ammo should I buy.
    You have a point, although the ammo discussions don't turn my crank, I just default to Hornady TAP.

Thanks for the reply.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    As an aside, there is still one final argument no optic can argue away, and that is, the weather gets a vote too.

Many of the budget optics, while "getting there" in battery life, durability, and optical quality, still aren't 100% weatherproof, and beyond that, in certain weather conditions optics in general can become difficult or impossible to use.

If you're using your gun 100% as a "sunny day" range gun or indoor shooter only, sure rock whatever you want.
    For those who either must use their rifles in less satisfactory conditions, or forsee a possibility where it may happen, a couple ounces of safety blanket is NOT enough to quibble over leaving on...
    It hasn't got anything to do with being "change resistant", it's about not being caught with your pants down... the same reason most here own a rifle in the first place...

And who puts a spare bolt and accessories on their gun anyway? That shit goes in your GP pouch, range bag or assault pack...
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    Okay, I refer back to my previous observation: why don't all those shooters who contend that BUIS are a necessity ("because everything can and will fail") carry a spare bolt on their AR's?
    All it takes is dropping your your gun and some bad luck to destroy an optic. Dont have buis, you’re hunt is done.
    Yea, a spare bolt is good to have as well- but was not the purpose of the thread iirc. Id advocate both, not neither.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    ....and I probably won'y buy any more flip ups for my rifles.Why? Because I don't carry or train with a rifle for duty use any longer, and I don't envision any scenarios where they would be a life-or-death item on my rifles. Much the same reason I don't store/carry back-up batteries, bolts, etc. on my rifles. If it breaks I go back to the truck, get another one and fix the broken one when I get home.

Different folks have different perspectives.
    Yes, exactly. "The mission drives the gear". Some folks live their lives in some part based on a SHTF/EOWTWAKI fantasy. If that is one's mindset, I can certainly understand the pressing belief in a need for redundancy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    As an aside, there is still one final argument no optic can argue away, and that is, the weather gets a vote too.

Many of the budget optics, while "getting there" in battery life, durability, and optical quality, still aren't 100% weatherproof, and beyond that, in certain weather conditions optics in general can become difficult or impossible to use.

If you're using your gun 100% as a "sunny day" range gun or indoor shooter only, sure rock whatever you want.
    For those who either must use their rifles in less satisfactory conditions, or forsee a possibility where it may happen, a couple ounces of safety blanket is NOT enough to quibble over leaving on...
    It hasn't got anything to do with being "change resistant", it's about not being caught with your pants down... the same reason most here own a rifle in the first place...

And who puts a spare bolt and accessories on their gun anyway? That shit goes in your GP pouch, range bag or assault pack...
    I am not a "sunny day" range shooter. I have shot on many occasions in very inclement weather, including snow and heavy rain, using carbines equipped exclusively with optics.

Never once did I NOT get a sight picture on a target using an optic because of bad weather. I shot one particular course of fire where I ended up covered head to toe in mud and debris using a carbine equipped with a Leupold DDP. Guess what? That little optic gave me ZERO issues. The only problems I actually experienced was with my eye pro. In fact, I have since removed my Aimpoint H1 on my go-to carbine in favor of the DPP. It performed that well.

So, I imaging weather that is severe enough to down either of these two optics would also down irons.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I'm sure everybody arguing that BUIS are just extra fluff that aren't really needed don't bother to carry jumper cables around in their car either. I mean, it's 2018, jumper cables are so 20th century. So many things could fail, why focus on just the battery? Jumper cables must be worthless to have and you must be a silly carry over from a bygone era if you have some in your trunk.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    I am not a "sunny day" range shooter. I have shot on many occasions in very inclement weather, including snow and heavy rain, using carbines equipped exclusively with optics.

Never once did I NOT get a sight picture on a target using an optic because of bad weather. I shot one particular course of fire where I ended up covered head to toe in mud and debris using a carbine equipped with a Leupold DDP. Guess what? That little optic gave me ZERO issues. The only problems I actually experienced was with my eye pro. In fact, I have since removed my Aimpoint H1 on my go-to carbine in favor of the DPP. It performed that well.

So, I imaging weather that is severe enough to down either of these two optics would also down irons.

If you don't have anything constructive to add to the thread, and the topic seems to go against your preference/opinion, why don't you just leave it alone?
    Last edited by AAMP84; 03-14-18 at 13:42.

Feedback Score
    1. Many readily available modern optics are rugged and reliable
    2. BUIS are not immune to failure
    3. Modern optics can be had for less than many BUIS
    4. BUIS are unnecessary

...nothing I have posted has been constructive? Well damn.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Your initial post sure, but now you're just arguing with ppl that disagree. You made valid points, but now you're just detracting from them with your aggressive and emotional responses to others.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast