Page 95 of 140 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast

Thread: Comparison Chart of Major AR Brands

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ir0nm4n View Post
    Where does the new DD M4 stand among others?
    this is addressed in the thread, not 15 posts above yours.

Feedback Score
    There are threads elsewhere that say the 5 coil extractor springs with the black insert and doughnut are better than the 4 coil spring with the blue insert but the doughnut does all of the work. Then there are the chrome silicon springs that have no insert or doughnut.
    In photo The first/blue came out of a CMT/Stag bolt, the 2nd/black is a Buffer technologies, the third/no insert is a chrome silicon and much larger than the other 2.
    If guys are only looking for colored inserts they could actually throw out a better chrome silicon spring and install a worse spring with a black insert.
    Most carriers I see today are shrouded, they are AR15 carriers because the rear section is short so they will not trip a sear. They are not M16 carriers that have been reground, they are manufactured that way. A huge number of 3 gun guys shoot lightweight carriers because they are smoother so if the carrier is shrouded then why is it bad just because it is a AR15 carrier?
    left 2 are AR15s, right is a M16

ETA-And last, I can buy bolts 1000 at a time that are stamped MPI, it cost an extra $3/bolt. They have not had a proof load of 70Kpsi fired on them, they are machined, shot peened, MP inspected, marked as such and phosphated. So what good is a MPI bolt if it was inspected without the proof load shot on it?
    Colt and FN have government inspectors on site and do it the way it should be done but what do we really know about the rest?
    ETA2- I understand this is about an M4, if it were about real M4s that are FA then the M16 carrier would be the only choice and the weight would no doubt slow the cyclic rate.
    Last edited by constructor; 03-11-09 at 04:08.

Feedback Score
    I was looking at the chart tonight (didn't notice this before) and see that Armalite is listed as a single heat shield under the forearm. I have a new Armalite M4 just picked it up at the end of August and it is sporting double heat shields.

Just figured I'd throw this up to let folks know.

Shawn

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Thanks

Just finished reading through this thread! I can only imagine being part of the adventure. Thank you for all the time and thought you put into this chart and thread, Rob and others. I am new to the AR-15 scene, but I am looking forward to more on this site, and I think my new Noveske N4 has transferred the BRD to me!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    There are threads elsewhere that say the 5 coil extractor springs with the black insert and doughnut are better than the 4 coil spring with the blue insert but the doughnut does all of the work. Then there are the chrome silicon springs that have no insert or doughnut.
    In photo The first/blue came out of a CMT/Stag bolt, the 2nd/black is a Buffer technologies, the third/no insert is a chrome silicon and much larger than the other 2.
    If guys are only looking for colored inserts they could actually throw out a better chrome silicon spring and install a worse spring with a black insert.
    Most carriers I see today are shrouded, they are AR15 carriers because the rear section is short so they will not trip a sear. They are not M16 carriers that have been reground, they are manufactured that way. A huge number of 3 gun guys shoot lightweight carriers because they are smoother so if the carrier is shrouded then why is it bad just because it is a AR15 carrier?
    left 2 are AR15s, right is a M16

ETA-And last, I can buy bolts 1000 at a time that are stamped MPI, it cost an extra $3/bolt. They have not had a proof load of 70Kpsi fired on them, they are machined, shot peened, MP inspected, marked as such and phosphated. So what good is a MPI bolt if it was inspected without the proof load shot on it?
    Colt and FN have government inspectors on site and do it the way it should be done but what do we really know about the rest?
    ETA2- I understand this is about an M4, if it were about real M4s that are FA then the M16 carrier would be the only choice and the weight would no doubt slow the cyclic rate.
    I would use an insert with all springs.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Finally, DPMS owners can sleep soundly in their beds, knowing that they bought the correct rifle.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Not really sure why I thought something useful would have been added when I saw the text of the reply... but I came to look anyways. Oh well, back to work.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDooley View Post
    Not really sure why I thought something useful would have been added when I saw the text of the reply... but I came to look anyways. Oh well, back to work.
    I'm just trying to get people to laugh...DPMS and Colt owners alike.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just out of curiosity, where does the Knight SR-15 stand in terms of features/quality?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    KAC makes a quality rifle, but I think it'd be inappropriate to put the SR15 on 'the chart'. The chart compares different brands of 'M4 pattern' rifles. The KAC rifle has a number of proprietary parts that, while aguably superior to military specifications, are not common to the M4 pattern. For example, the bolt is proprietary and is not the same as used on any of the other rifles on the chart. It uses a rail system instead of the double shielded handguards. It doesn't have a standard front sight block, using a folding front sight integrated into the rail system instead. It has a two stage trigger and uses a mid-length gas system.

That's not to say that the KAC isn't a quality rifle - I have no doubts that it is. Many would consider those parts as upgrades or enhancements over the basic specifications. I'm just more inclined to compare it to the Noveske Recce or perhaps even the LMT MRP than more conventional M4 type rifles because of its unique features.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 04-02-09 at 20:46.

Page 95 of 140 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast