Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backup rifle necessity?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

Backup rifle necessity?

Hey guys, I’m struggling lately with a concept and would appreciate some outside perspective:

After having owned and used dozens of configurations of AR15’s, I’ve put together what I believe is the perfect setup for me and my uses. I’ve yet to find myself in a situation of using this rifle and wanting something to be different on it. It’s a fantastic place to be; and yet I wonder if I’m missing something. The problem is I don’t ever want to use any other AR. Despite being a certified armorer and having ample spare parts on-hand, it seems to me that having only one carbine/rifle is not such a great idea in case one does go down, want to shoot with a buddy, wife, etc. Two is one and one is none, etc.

Part of what further complicates the issue is that my “perfect” AR is an SBR. I just don’t have any desire/need for anything longer. I do have a longer AR, but it’s also a .308. If it’s going to be longer and heavier, it may as well throw a bigger bullet as well. That gun serves a different purpose as well, though with its 2.5-10X scope vs the Aimpoint T-1 on my SBR.
    So here’s the crux of the issue: is it worth the financial investment to build a duplicate of my SBR to have a backup, second rifle? I mean, it wouldn’t be exactly the same. I might try a different handguard, fixed sights, but the basic setup of the rifle would be the same. My current is a DD MK18. For the second one I’m considering a Colt 6933.

So what do y’all think? Worth the financial investment in a second rifle just as backup/to mostly sit in the safe? Or, is the money better spent on ammo/training? I do have a backup to my pistol, but that’s a little easier to do financially. Glocks are only $500. SBR + stamp is roughly 3X that. Also, I’m not LEO or anything, just Joe Blow civvy, so the rifle isn’t used for work; if that makes a difference.
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Backup rifle, yes. Clone of your primary, not a necessity. Think of it simply as spare parts, assembled.
    Director of Business Development - Unity Tactical, LLC - Design and Validation for the tactical community.
    www.unitytactical.com / www.facebook.com/unitytacticalllc

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Shit. If I only had 3 ARs I felt adequate for fighting/defense, I'd be nervous. One? Forget that!!

And NO... building a large caliber AR isn't good for anything real world, civilian stuff other than fun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Shit. If I only had 3 ARs I felt adequate for fighting/defense, I'd be nervous. One? Forget that!!

And NO... building a large caliber AR isn't good for anything real world, civilian stuff other than fun.
    I'm not talking about building a large caliber AR.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Another thought that has been mentioned and I have discussed some with a buddy is an AR pistol. I'm not afraid of the NFA game. I already have 5 stamps. But for travel, especially out of state, no so much of an issue to throw an AR pistol in the car and drive vs traveling interstate with an NFA item.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    AR pistol is useless.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    You say your one AR is perfect and for you that might be correct, but as things change so do you your needs. If an AR is a tool and your SBR is your favorite hammer, you might remember that you might need a good screw driver or wrench latter on down the line. Now I understand finances might not be in your favor and I get that, but from what I know about AR's, is that the versatility of the platform pushes experienced gun owners to see what they can do with their rifle, whether it be an SPR or SBR, or a KISS rifle.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    Just pick up a colt 6920 or a BCM recce to throw in the safe and call it a day! It's a good investment and relatively light on the wallet... Then if things did hit the fan, you know you have a reliable gun for your wife.

I have 4 right now that serve different purposes, and I'm just beginning my venture into the SBR realm as they were just legalized in MI. Just one rifle tho? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm a little different in that my primary is a SBR and my other >16" AR's serve as back up. I built an AR Pistol lower with Sig Brace to use for impromptu out of state travel.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    AR pistol is useless.
    If you read my post above you see a potential use for one. What's your solution?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast