Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Fireclean with AR15

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    This is very interesting to me as in all of my observation, Fireclean does far less to prevent it.

However, I used Froglube on my rifle and did get rust. When I use FireClean, it did not rust. I don't know if something in the powder/primer residue does not get along with FL, or what.
    I think the main difference may be since FL is a paste it resists salt water soaked paper towels better since it is actually a thick pasty barrier.

When it comes to what is best for a salt water mist or humidity fireclean works better because if you happen to miss any of the parts it will spread to those parts, unlike FL that just never moves unless you want to oven bake your rifle.

Thats my experiences living in a high humidity, high salt water area. What is most interesting to me, is that unlike other liquid lubricants fireclean stays put in areas where things contact each other, so even after a week of sitting my rifle and handguns are still suffeciently wet on places like the carrier rails, cam pin, and gas rings. On my beretta the rails and locking block are still wet as well.

Other liquid lubes would have moved out of the rifle fully by now, including slip2000 EWL.
    Last edited by sinlessorrow; 07-20-13 at 20:55.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TBomb View Post
    Thanks for the input gents, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't applying it incorrectly...it was nowhere near as quiet as the video demonstration they have. I guess I'll have to shoot it a bunch and report back.
    Knights rifles sound way smoother with the fireclean. My Colt is smoother with the fireclean but still makes way more noise and drags more than my Knights with it.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    It might take a grand or two to get the gun worn in.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Agreed. I've used all the wonderlubes and none made much difference over the other. My 4000 round noveske felt the same with fireclean as clp. Now, what does seem to matter is round count, and quality. My Daniel Defense after just 500 rounds is almost as smooth as that noveske, and some guys at a course I took who had 15-20k on their guns, those felt like glass. The only new rifle that just blew me away was a JP .308 a state trooper was using as their DMR. That thing was SLICK!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    I think the main difference may be since FL is a paste it resists salt water soaked paper towels better since it is actually a thick pasty barrier.

When it comes to what is best for a salt water mist or humidity fireclean works better because if you happen to miss any of the parts it will spread to those parts, unlike FL that just never moves unless you want to oven bake your rifle.

Thats my experiences living in a high humidity, high salt water area. What is most interesting to me, is that unlike other liquid lubricants fireclean stays put in areas where things contact each other, so even after a week of sitting my rifle and handguns are still suffeciently wet on places like the carrier rails, cam pin, and gas rings. On my beretta the rails and locking block are still wet as well.

Other liquid lubes would have moved out of the rifle fully by now, including slip2000 EWL.
    I got better protection with every other lube than fireclean. A heavy layer of fireclean with tap water soaked paper vs. Breakfree clp wiped off to a discolored smudge and salt water soaked, the bf. Resisted rust many times longer.

That said, I used fireclean in some humid weather and it did fine. Froglube did not. I'm still undecided on the stuff. Id like a few performance matrix changes, and for now, am using Rand CLP as its done great for me in every aspect, and Kyle Lamb recommended it to me long before he actually partnered with Rand.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You guys are all insane! Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to hear of the testing and personal experiences. Still, I think a few of y'all are obsessive and crazy...

I live in South Texas. Every day is in the high 90's to low 100's with high humidity. I live literally one block from the ocean and the majority of my shooting is outdoors, plus I often have a rifle in the car.

I do a lot of shooting and hunting at a dusty, windy ranch with ponds and muddy areas. My guns get covered in all kinds of crap. They'll be outdoors for 16 hours a day. They'll go in and out of an air conditioned house on the ranch, which forms condensation.

I occasionally take a rifle out on the boat. No matter what, I always have a handgun on me, typically a Glock 17.

I've used Slip EWL for a while now and my local shop gave me a bottle of Frog Lube liquid and about a 1/4 tub of the paste. I'm very interested in trying Fireclean as well.

But, my guns barely show any rust. What rust is there, is surface rust that cleans up easily. When I'm at a class or at the ranch and my guns get filthy or covered in mud, I might hose them down with fresh water, dry them off with a towel then they sit in the sun for a bit. I then squirt some Slip or now Frog Lube on the bolt, carrier, fire control group and the pins.

I've never had issues with rust other than a brushed stainless Ed Brown I carried for a few months. As a lubricant, Slip and Frog Lube have both worked very well for my needs. If I think it needs more, I add more.

As for application, I applied Frog Lube just as I do Slip.... I cleaned the guns before the first application, then just squirted it on, worked the action a few times and called it good.

Of the Slip and Frog Lube, I'm content using whichever I have on hand at the time. I am interested in the Fireclean though as I've heard a lot of good things about it.

I'd generally have a hard time believing it works any better than Slip and would eventually test it myself just to see if there was any benefit or not. But, I've seen enough members here that I either know or know of enough to trust their experiences. So, I'll definitely give it a try at some point.

I'm not worried about it being a rust preventative. My guns never sit for more than a day without sry or live firing, so I'm pretty quick to see any surface rust forming.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    You guys are all insane! Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to hear of the testing and personal experiences. Still, I think a few of y'all are obsessive and crazy...

I live in South Texas. Every day is in the high 90's to low 100's with high humidity. I live literally one block from the ocean and the majority of my shooting is outdoors, plus I often have a rifle in the car.

I do a lot of shooting and hunting at a dusty, windy ranch with ponds and muddy areas. My guns get covered in all kinds of crap. They'll be outdoors for 16 hours a day. They'll go in and out of an air conditioned house on the ranch, which forms condensation.

I occasionally take a rifle out on the boat. No matter what, I always have a handgun on me, typically a Glock 17.

I've used Slip EWL for a while now and my local shop gave me a bottle of Frog Lube liquid and about a 1/4 tub of the paste. I'm very interested in trying Fireclean as well.

But, my guns barely show any rust. What rust is there, is surface rust that cleans up easily. When I'm at a class or at the ranch and my guns get filthy or covered in mud, I might hose them down with fresh water, dry them off with a towel then they sit in the sun for a bit. I then squirt some Slip or now Frog Lube on the bolt, carrier, fire control group and the pins.

I've never had issues with rust other than a brushed stainless Ed Brown I carried for a few months. As a lubricant, Slip and Frog Lube have both worked very well for my needs. If I think it needs more, I add more.

As for application, I applied Frog Lube just as I do Slip.... I cleaned the guns before the first application, then just squirted it on, worked the action a few times and called it good.

Of the Slip and Frog Lube, I'm content using whichever I have on hand at the time. I am interested in the Fireclean though as I've heard a lot of good things about it.

I'd generally have a hard time believing it works any better than Slip and would eventually test it myself just to see if there was any benefit or not. But, I've seen enough members here that I either know or know of enough to trust their experiences. So, I'll definitely give it a try at some point.

I'm not worried about it being a rust preventative. My guns never sit for more than a day without sry or live firing, so I'm pretty quick to see any surface rust forming.
    Oddly enough your notthat far from me.
    Last edited by sinlessorrow; 07-23-13 at 11:32.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    before i left on my deployment i lubed all my ar's with froglube hopefully they held up well. i guess ill find out when i get back in a couple months. if not i guess i look into some fireclean
    "But if they want to play out a Rage Against the Machine album then...I have no problem blacking out my face, putting on Tiger Stripes, and working on my ear necklace."-FireFly

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnchair 04 View Post
    before i left on my deployment i lubed all my ar's with froglube hopefully they held up well. i guess ill find out when i get back in a couple months. if not i guess i look into some fireclean

I am located in Dallas, and I have had used exclusively FL for past couple years, total of about 10k rounds split 50/50 between AR-15 and my Glock. I have observed 0 rust issues, my guns are with me daily thru sweat, dirt, rain, cold, heat, and shot roughly every other day. Not saying it doesn't happen, just I have not observed any rust in my climate and application. Also if it matters I do not clean my weapons beyond a quick external wipe down.

P.S. I bought some Fireclean to try based on other FL users.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    Oddly enough your notthat far from me.
    I know you told me before, but I'm drawing a blank, where are you? A couple hours north of me, right?
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The best protectant I have found is Eezox. It is also a much better lube than it is given credit for. If properly applied it dries to a film that stays put and only goes away if removed with a solvent. I've been using it since 1994. I keep trying the "latest and greatest" but I haven't found anything that works better.

Some people object to the triclor it uses as a thinner/solvent but unless you are constantly exposed to it it is a non issue for me.

Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast