Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATF fingerprint cards Form 1

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)

ATF fingerprint cards Form 1

So my local department (where I work) only has blue fingerprint cards with our ORI and address on them. I know that I can order some from the ATF that are pre-filled with the proper info, but I'm not sure how long they will take to get here. Does anyone know if it is OK to white out my ORI and put their info in? What info do I put there? I need their ORI and associated address I think.
    Thanks guys

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    So my local department (where I work) only has blue fingerprint cards with our ORI and address on them. I know that I can order some from the ATF that are pre-filled with the proper info, but I'm not sure how long they will take to get here. Does anyone know if it is OK to white out my ORI and put their info in? What info do I put there? I need their ORI and associated address I think.
    Thanks guys
    I know this doesn't answer your question... But why not go trust and skip all of that crap?
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    I considered it and decided not to. the cost didn't seem worth it right now, and in the event of my untimely demise the rifle can be transferred tax free to my son or wife anyway. the only real advantage of doing a trust was that the other members could transport and use the rifle while not in my presence, something that really doesn't need to happen anyway. I just didn't see the advantage.

Feedback Score
    I'd recommend against trying a literal 'white out' of the original ORI. My company has had print-cards returned when someone tried that and it flaked-/peeled-off. Either use re-print squares and trim a couple of them to size to cover your agency ORI or a suitable-sized PERMANENT white address label trimmed to size to cover it and you're good to go.

Another consideration on the trust: How can your family legally possess the registered item when they are at home with it and you are not if not by a trust or corporate ownership? I'm not aware of any circumstances where that has become an issue...yet...but I don't want my family to be the test case for the concept (especially given the current political climate). To me, right-after hassle-reduction and survivorship issues, that is why my items are all owned by trusts with all adult household members listed as trustees/beneficiaries (even though they aren't necessarily aware of that fact).

MikeN
    Last edited by MJN1957; 11-26-15 at 04:46.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have always just typed the address and ORI on a sticky label, trimmed it, and stuck it on. If you're having them done electronically, you can just have the deputy enter that stuff with your name etc when he puts that stuff into the computer. The form is then all neatly filled out and printed along with your prints. Surely your agency has some blank cards sitting around somewhere.

Last I looked, you can order the FD-258 from the ATF forms library. https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/forms-library . It's been a couple years, but they got the cards to me in a couple of days. I remember being surprised how fast they came.

I agree about trust vs individual. IMHO the main value of the trust is avoiding fingerprinting and CLEO sign off, and the other time/hassles associated with the Form 1 process. I have found the process to be only mildly inconvenient...not enough to pay to have a trust created.
    Last edited by Hmac; 11-26-15 at 06:03.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Yeah my department does fingerprints the old ink way, and we even fill out cards with a typewriter. I'll ask the captain on Monday if wet have any blank cards. But that leads me back to the original question... What's their information to put on the card?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you're doing it with ink, I think you can just print the cards.
    https://www.atf.gov/file/61511/download
    I had mine done by the state police. They use a computer so it was with their cards, which had the address space blank.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Last I looked, you can order the FD-258 from the ATF forms library. https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/forms-library . It's been a couple years, but they got the cards to me in a couple of days. I remember being surprised how fast they came.
    Yep, they're usually pretty quick. Order them from here. Just check the fingerprints box then click the dropdown and choose NFA (ORI WVATF0800).

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Order the ATF cards. I have heard of folks being rejected for the wrong cards or something the ATF didn't like about the cards they submitted. It is worth the extra few days to get the right ones. The wait is long enough without them hassling you about the fingerprint cards after a multi month wait. It is a pain but you will be happy when everything sails through.

When you place your order, get a bunch so you will have them on hand for you or friends. I actually just looked in my NFA folder, I was going to offer to send you a set but I am out. I have been giving them out to friends that are getting cans and SBRs. Time to order some more.
    Last edited by TommyG; 11-26-15 at 08:38.
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    But that leads me back to the original question... What's their information to put on the card?
    In the ORI box:

WVATF0800
    ATF-NFA BRANCH
    MARTINSBURG, WV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast