Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magpul CTR Stock QD Sling Use

Feedback Score

Magpul CTR Stock QD Sling Use

Anyone replace their standard Magpul butt stock for a Magpul CTR in order to use the QD sling swivel point?

If so, did you like placing your sling at that location?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
    Anyone replace their standard Magpul butt stock for a Magpul CTR in order to use the QD sling swivel point?

If so, did you like placing your sling at that location?

Thanks!
    I have had CTRs and MOEs. After the last lower I configured, I pretty much decided that I would never buy a CTR stock again. The quality is fine, but the friction lock is useless and the stock can still be easily moved, and the QD cup has no rotation limiting. For those reasons, the CTR is basically just a marketing gimmick in my opinion. Fine in quality, just useless/needless features. Your best option, if you really want a QD attachment point, is to go with a B5 stock or shell out for one of the MOE QD stock mounts from IWC. Or just forgo the middleman and use the slots in the stock.

As for placement of the rear sling mount, I have found that I prefer to have the sling on the rear of the stock facing outward (right hand side of the carbine for a right handed shooter) as I do not have the buckle or webbing between the stock and me when shouldered.
    Others like theirs on the receiver end plate, or any other configuration. You'll have to figure that preference out for yourself.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
    After the last lower I configured, I pretty much decided that I would never buy a CTR stock again. The quality is fine, but the friction lock is useless and the stock can still be easily moved, and the QD cup has no rotation limiting. For those reasons, the CTR is basically just a marketing gimmick in my opinion. Fine in quality, just useless/needless features.
    I have to ask, what rifle did you install your CTR on? Are you certain you had mil-spec CTR on mil-spec receiver extension, or commercial/commercial? I ask because my CTR locks up rock-solid on my BCM RE, no movement at all. I much prefer it to the MOE standard I had on it before, and even that was a perfectly acceptable stock. Have you discussed this issue with Magpul?

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I bought a CTR for the sling mount. It works just as well as any other stock with QD cups. The lack of room for swivels essentially makes it rotation limited.

I run VCAS or Huskey slings, both 2 point slider. Thats the location I prefer to have a sling at.

Feedback Score
    I bought an IWC QD mount for a the MOE buttstock that came on my DDM4V7lw. I bould buy a CTR before I would buy a MOR and the IWC mount. The money might be the same but I like the friction lock on the CTR and the built in QD mount. I also like the STR, bought one for a S&W10.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My rifle that runs a CTR has the sling secured in it's OD cup on the stock, which only allows for about a quarter turn of rotation due to the position of the cup on the stock. It's been reliable and comfortable, and I really do like the set up. It also locks up rock solid with the friction lock, so I'm wondering if Meplat has a COM-Spec stock on a MIL-Spec RE.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFingers View Post
    I have to ask, what rifle did you install your CTR on? Are you certain you had mil-spec CTR on mil-spec receiver extension, or commercial/commercial? I ask because my CTR locks up rock-solid on my BCM RE, no movement at all. I much prefer it to the MOE standard I had on it before, and even that was a perfectly acceptable stock. Have you discussed this issue with Magpul?
    2 BCM lowers with untouched REs, 1 BCM lower with factory and A5 REs. Mil-spec CTRs. 4 different CTRs at various times. They work fine. The stock will not have that small amount of play in it that a normal stock will, but they are easily shifted by hand still even with the friction lock. As someone on this forum stated before, worrying about how it "locks up" is for people who spend more time fiddling with and admiring their AR rather than shooting it, as any play in a stock will disappear when shouldered unless it is wildly out of spec, in which case something else needs to be looked into entirely.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
    As someone on this forum stated before, worrying about how it "locks up" is for people who spend more time fiddling with and admiring their AR rather than shooting it, as any play in a stock will disappear when shouldered unless it is wildly out of spec
    Of course it will, and my MOE stock was a perfectly serviceable stock. However, I prefer the lockup on the CTR, and I cannot move it by hand once it's locked. I fail to see how that has anything to do with "admiring their AR rather than shooting it", but that's a different discussion and probably not helpful to either of us.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    With the STR and SOPMOD I use the buttstock QD sockets when using my sling in a two-point configuration (I also use the QD end plate for a single point configuration). Since I'm running the MS3-QD sling, the QD end of the sling plugs into the right-hand side socket while the paraclip end is connected to a fixed RSA on the rail just a little forward of where the rail meets the upper receiver. Using the right side QD socket as opposed to the left side allows me transition my the left side without having to unsling or choke. Works perfect for me. YMMV
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I've got both the MOE with the IWC QD set and the CTR. I bought the CTR afterwards for a new rifle because the IWC attachment with the MOE stock would have cost more than the CTR stock alone. For me, it was simplicity when buying a new stock.

I don't have issues with the no limit attachment points as the swivel tends to limit itself on the stock.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast