Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Castle Nut Torquing

Feedback Score

Castle Nut Torquing

I am installing a QD end plate on my Colt and am need of some advice. The tools I used to get it off was the hammerhead tool with the lower secured in a Magpul Bev Block/vise. This was no issue. As far as putting it back together, I have a torque wrench and will use loctite C5A. My concern is with how the lower is secured in the bev block...would applying the proper torque spec cause any harm using this combo?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    And why are you using Lotite? A castle nut should have an appropriate anti-seize compond applied, torqued to spec and staked in two places.

I not seeing how a Bev block and Hammerhead combo would harm anything.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    And why are you using Lotite? A castle nut should have an appropriate anti-seize compond applied, torqued to spec and staked in two places.

I not seeing how a Bev block and Hammerhead combo would harm anything.
    Loctite C5A is anti seize, not threadlocker. I was more worried about possible stress or flex to the lower.
    Last edited by jschmitt08; 05-13-18 at 23:30.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jschmitt08 View Post
    Loctite C5A is anti seize, not threadlocker. I was more worried about possible stress or flex to the lower.
    Oops, duh, my apology.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Torque spec is 40 ft. Lbs plus or minus 2, it's not a lot of torque. I've never used a Bev block to secure a lower, but if it secures through the mag well it should be fine. Just go slow, and stop if you feel like damage is being done.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 05-14-18 at 07:52.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Torque spec is 40 plus or minus 2, it's not a lot of torque. I've never used a Bev block to secure a lower, but if it secures through the mag well it should be fine. Just go slow, and stop if you feel like damage is being done.
    Yes it will be secured through the magwell.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm sure there was some engineering used to determine 40 foot pounds.

Essentially the castle nut functions as a jam nut to hold the receiver extension in place with the end plate limiting rotation off the RE.

In my view, that has always seemed more than is needed for the assembly, especially considering it is staked and the old style retainers were not.

Feedback Score
    Make sure you correct for the rotational twist. I have stripped threads on at least two tubes because I'm an idiot.

For example, if using a Bev Block, put a stock on it and hold it square while you tighten it. Alternatively, if using a jig for the tube (i.e. the Reaction Block) then you must hold the lower/pistol grip.

Feedback Score
    I lock the lower between my knees and crank it down. I've not had one come loose yet. Ymmv.
    "Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber projectile ".

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I just snug it up pretty tight, and stake.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast