Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some Pistol Talk...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenhelmet View Post
    That's fair enough. Have you ever tried a Sig with the SRT (Short Range Trigger) upgrade? It's a drop-in sear that supposedly greatly improves the reset. They come stock on some models now (not the MK25, so I had to buy the kit separately). I'm happy to report back with findings in a few weeks.
    I'm one of those people that is leery of "messin' with stuff", so no I have not ever tried that. I absolutely love the SSA trigger in my AR, but I have this weird mental thing about modifying handguns the same way. I built the ARs all myself, but I buy my pistols as is off the shelf…

In any case, yes please, report back about the SRT. I need to keep an open mind about learning and trying new stuff and your report will encourage me.
    "Literally EVERYTHING is in space, Morty." Grandpa Rick Sanchez

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LDM View Post
    Ergo: pick a class of pistol that works for you, stay with it, and get as good at it as you can with it.
    Good advice here, I think.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    If I couldn't carry a 9mm, I'd be more apt to carry a .357 sig.
    I've got zero experience with the .357 sig.

Share your thoughts/experience with the caliber?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletdog View Post
    I've got zero experience with the .357 sig.

Share your thoughts/experience with the caliber?
    Sure. It's not quite a .357 magnum level of velocity but pretty close. Moreso than in some loadings of +p or +p+ 9mm.

Having gotten to do some shooting through windshield training, it does have less deviation than other auto calibers. But you still want to take trajectory of windshield as a factor. Shooting inward your rounds go low, outward they go high.

It is snappy, but no more than a .40. Loud.
    The rounds aren't cheap but have a flat trajectory. Depending on model of handgun, there can be some accelerated wear, so like with revolvers you may want to get a .40 barrel for practice and .357 barrel for carry.

I have a Glock 31. The load I prefer is the HST.

I'm no expert but a normal .357 sig seems to have more conistency than some +p+ simply because there really is no SAAMI spec.

Really, I just got it as a BUG/vehicle weapon for its penetrative qualities.

It's not a shoot everyday gun, but every so often I will run a box through it. Pretty much point and click with no real deviation from practicing with a .40 barrel. Sharper report and tighter groups at 25 yds.

I wouldn't say it is a perfect caliber and for 60% of any shooting one would do, 9mm is pretty much the better caliber.

But if you need penetration and nigh magnum velocity; it is worth it to invest in a .357 sig barrel. Magazines are interchangeable as well with .40.

I prefer the base standard Glock 31 full size, but if I were to really go all out for this caliber, I'd get a Glock 35 and .357 barrel.

On another note, in an aforementioned post I alluded to going through hell and high water to get my duty Smith fixed. That issue was with the dept and armorer. All dealings I've had with S&W as a private person speaking directly to company have been positive. All questions answered and I was treated well for a personal weapon that needed tweaking.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Sure. It's not quite a .357 magnum level of velocity but pretty close. Moreso than in some loadings of +p or +p+ 9mm.
    Let me put on my ammo nerd voice...

Actually, some of the hotter 357 SIG loadings can hang pretty well with 357 Magnum, so long as you keep the comparison to gun velocities from guns with similar weights/sizes. So a G33 with Underwood can compare well with similar loads from a J-frame, and a G32 can do very well against some 2-3" revolvers. At least with 125gr loads, and I'd love to see comparisons with 147gr vs. 158gr. And you get all the benefits of auto vs. revolver. It certainly falls off once you start comparing full-sized revolvers and heavier loads, but for the smaller guns, it makes sense to me.

I admit, I'm pretty far up 357 SIG's ass... I don't own one, I'm actually pretty indifferent to it as a defensive cartridge, but damn its velocity numbers and penetration qualities appeal to the nerd in me.
    Last edited by Uprange41; 05-26-16 at 19:24.

Feedback Score
    I had a .357 SIG in a P229 DAK. I hated the pistol (DAK trigger didn't work for me at all), but loved the cartridge. Shoots flat, very accurate for me, lots of velocity. Maybe I should have Bar-Sto make a barrel for my P226 X5, that could be a neat combo with a 5" barrel to get more velocity out of the round. I'd need to buy the $$$ adjustable rear sight for the X5 if I did that, although I've been seriously considering it anyway.

I've also always wanted a 9X23 Winchester, even more velocity than the .357 SIG and perfect for use in a .45 ACP length magazine in something like a 1911. Too bad no one offers them anymore.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletdog View Post
    I'm one of those people that is leery of "messin' with stuff", so no I have not ever tried that. I absolutely love the SSA trigger in my AR, but I have this weird mental thing about modifying handguns the same way. I built the ARs all myself, but I buy my pistols as is off the shelf…

In any case, yes please, report back about the SRT. I need to keep an open mind about learning and trying new stuff and your report will encourage me.
    I'm not Sevenhelmet but the SIG SRT trigger is well worth the money. The reset is very short and quite distinct in both feel and sound, SIG got it right.

MM

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've heard good things about the 357 Sig from cops on other forums but for me the price of ammo is a turn off.

My main caliber is 9mm and I carry a g19 but I'm always searching for that unicorn gun dispite the fact that the G19 is just about perfect for me as an all around all year carry. I still manage to buy different guns to compare against the 19. Sig 228, HK P2000. Each one is good but neither quite matches the G19. Whether it capacity, weight or trigger. Along the way I managed to pick up other guns and other calibers. Most have been traded off for various reasons. Some were just too good to pass up. So now, even though my main focus is on the 9mm, I probably have equal amount of all 3 calibers plus some 38spl and 357 mag

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    I'm not Sevenhelmet but the SIG SRT trigger is well worth the money. The reset is very short and quite distinct in both feel and sound, SIG got it right.

MM
    Thank you. I'm going to look into this. This would fix one of my main complaints about the Sig.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post

MM
    I second that, it improve an already incredible stock trigger IMO and makes for speedy, easier followups.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast