Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Georgia Switchblade Laws

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)

Georgia Switchblade Laws

I've heard that you may legally own a switchblade in Georgia, but not carry. I've also heard that you can carry. Anyone know what the law is in Georgia concerning automatic/switchblade knife carry? I'm guessing that open carry is legal, but concealed it not. However, I would hate to guess wrong!

Feedback Score
    I don't personally have any info for you, but here's a decent starting point...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switchblade

The state y/n list has links to copies of each state's code.

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    Thanks, but already been there. As I read the actual Georgia statutes, the only reference to "switchblades" I find is mainly limited to schools. Also, there is a reference to "offensive and defensive" knives not being legal to conceal.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'd suggest you contact an attorney, or perhaps the GBI and ask for clarification. Good luck!

-RD62

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I swear to God. Humans are basically Retards as a whole. How an automatic feature on a knife makes it any more or less lethal, and thus worthy of legislation, is beyond stupid.

I think automatic knives where the shit to me when I was a 3rd grader.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    I swear to God. Humans are basically Retards as a whole. How an automatic feature on a knife makes it any more or less lethal, and thus worthy of legislation, is beyond stupid.

I think automatic knives where the shit to me when I was a 3rd grader.
    If you look at the statues then you'll see most of the weapons laws in the United States are an attempt to take the tools-of-the-trade away from criminals (we'll leave the 'race' issue out of this one for now, e.g., the Gun Control Act of 1968). Switchblades were all the rage with street gangs back in the 1950's. Ban switchblades and the street gangs would lose their tendancy for violence, right?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Hmmm... yeah.

I always assumed the irrational fear was spawn out of from hollywood nonsense.

Either way, it's so dumb. Even worse is these dealers who'll only sell auto's to cops.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    Either way, it's so dumb. Even worse is these dealers who'll only sell auto's to cops.
    Federal law restricts purchases across state-lines (under interstate commerce which the Supreme Court has affirmed) to active-duty military, police, EMT, Federal employees, handicapped (blade less than 3" if only use of one arm), etc. It also generally bans their possession and/or use on federal property and U.S. territories, etc. Inside your state, automatics may be governed by state and/or local laws.

I tend to think of automatics in the knife "culture" as being the equivalent to NFA firearms. Just cheaper and less red tape.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    in Alabama it is legal to carry in case on belt,if you dare some police dont know that.
    if you are missing a arm or can not use you hand to open a knife you can have one.
    it is legal to buy and own here as a collector.
    and if blade is under 4 inches .
    I would call your local sheriff and ask

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Wow. That's so silly and irrational.

I remember Lotboy had some issue when he got his automatic a few years back. I can't remember exactly what the issue was, but it was like he was buying a firearm or something.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast