Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pictures: "Government" Barrel vs. "Pencil" Barrel Weight Difference

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Pictures: "Government" Barrel vs. "Pencil" Barrel Weight Difference

I'm new to AR-15 builds, so please bear with me if I make any mistakes.

That being said, for those who are curious about the actual weight difference between a "government" barrel profile (also known as an A2 barrel profile) and a "pencil" barrel profile (also known as an A1 barrel profile): (EDIT: this picture/schematic isn't mine; I found it in a Google search, but I don't recall where)

I did an apples-to-apples comparison between two barreled upper assemblies from Palmetto State Armory (PSA). Both have 16" barrels with a midlength gas system; both have rear back-up iron sights (BUIS), bolt carrier groups (BCG), charging handles (CH), front sling swivels, and muzzle devices removed.

I know it's an informal test at home (using a baby scale, no less), but the government/A2 style barreled upper assembly came in at 2 pounds, 13.5 ounces (sorry about the glare):

In contrast, the pencil/A1 style barreled upper assembly weighs 2 pounds, 8.0 ounces (again, sorry about the glare).

The weight difference may seem negligible, but it really does seem to assist with handling/weight perception.

But it could be all psychological....
    Last edited by butlers; 06-01-18 at 18:53.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    The weight difference in handling is exaggerated by the leverage of having that extra weight on the end of the barrel.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    The weight difference in handling is exaggerated by the leverage of having that extra weight on the end of the barrel.
    I think you've got a solid point. It's only 5.5 ounces, but it's forward of the center of gravity, so physics!

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    Yea, 5-6 ounces in front of the sight is a ton. BTW, I wonder if his wife knows he is weighing gun stuff on the baby scale?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The FSP location on a midlength does throw the balance away forward.

The BCM ELW barrels are beautiful!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The difference in moment is approximately 60 in/oz, or about 4 in/lbs.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 06-17-18 at 01:57.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yeah but the major point is what does that extra 6 oz in front of the FSP gain you, not a f'ng thing, move it back under the hand guards and it adds heat sink out front it does nothing except spoil balance. What makes sense is a SOCOM profile under handguards and a pencil front end but does anyone make that profile, h@ll no. Rant off.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Yeah but the major point is what does that extra 6 oz in front of the FSP gain you, not a f'ng thing, move it back under the hand guards and it adds heat sink out front it does nothing except spoil balance. What makes sense is a SOCOM profile under handguards and a pencil front end but does anyone make that profile, h@ll no. Rant off.

100% agreed. I make this very point in pretty much every barrel video on my channel. Problem is, most consumers have no idea what a "barrel profile" is never mind which is best nor why it is so.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    That style of tapered profile has been made, but it doesn’t sell well.

OP- Your pics? Or does that first one belong to someone else?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    OP- Your pics? Or does that first one belong to someone else?
    Yes, first picture is not mine, but was taken from a Google Images search. If I'm violating copyright or trademark, I'm sorry and will delete it.
    "The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards."
    William Francis Butler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast