Thread: Loose Muzzle Brake from Suppressor Mounting

Feedback Score

Angry Loose Muzzle Brake from Suppressor Mounting

I have Surefire SFMB556 muzzle brakes on two rifles that I use my SOCOM suppressor on. Both muzzle devices were mounted at proper torque and Rocksett in place.

Well, today during dry fires I noticed the brake on one of the uppers spun free from my mere hand torque during suppressor mounting and dismounting! I was lucky to have caught this now and not during live fire or I would have REALLY been upset with a baffle strike.

Should I just pin these muzzle brakes so this never happens again? I'm very much so leaning toward this option as these uppers have not even seen heavy use.
    Again, I guess I should atleast be happy I caught this early and my can isn't destroyed... but still... VERY aggravating as my zeros are down the drain now.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Did you follow the instructions when you used the Rocksett?

I had a similar thing happen but had to admit to myself that I hadn't properly cleaned and degreased the threads like the Rocksett instructions told me to. Went back through the process and it has never moved after the second installation.

Feedback Score
    I didn't mount the brakes. I had a local shop here in west WA mount them for me and considering the reputation of the shop and the fact that I told them I will be mounting a suppressor... I assumed everything was g2g.

I have sent them an email concerning this and will give them a chance to make it right before I put their name on here.

One caveat may be that I use a liberal amount of SLIP2000 grease on the exterior of both brakes to help keep the suppressor from carbon welding during use. Maybe the grease affected the Rocksett...?
    Last edited by DirtDiver06; 06-02-18 at 20:52.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiver06 View Post
    One caveat may be that I use a liberal amount of SLIP2000 grease on the exterior of both brakes to help keep the suppressor from carbon welding during use. Maybe the grease affected the Rocksett...?
    According to their product page, "Rocksett withstands oil, fuels, acids, alkalis."

So... probably not that.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I do the same thing with no issues...

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I have had that happen before. In my case, I think the quality of the Rocksett probably degraded due to age. I got some new Rocksett, remounted, and haven’t had an issue since.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    Ok, I'll give normal remounting of the brake a try and forgo the pin&weld. I checked my other upper I swap the can between and it's brake shows no movement.

I thought, maybe because I kept the can mounted 24/7 on the upper that now has the issue, that there was something going on in relation to the SLIP2000 grease. Checking the muzzle threads revealed the same brownish colored, wet residue that you see on old SLIP or Fireclean lubed guns that've been stored for awhile.
    Last edited by DirtDiver06; 06-02-18 at 22:51.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    I have had that happen before. In my case, I think the quality of the Rocksett probably degraded due to age. I got some new Rocksett, remounted, and haven’t had an issue since.
    Interesting point.

However, the muzzle brake in question was installed only 6 months ago.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Interesting point.

However, the muzzle brake in question was installed only 6 months ago.
    It's not the age of the rocksett on your rifle. It's the age of the rocksett at time of installation since its first exposure to oxygen after leaving the factory. In short, the exposed shelf life of the rocksett when it was used.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    It's not the age of the rocksett on your rifle. It's the age of the rocksett at time of installation since its first exposure to oxygen after leaving the factory. In short, the exposed shelf life of the rocksett when it was used.
    Ahhh, I can see that.