Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What axe are you folks using?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

What axe are you folks using?

Alright I was convinced.

Mine is Mattias Blixt forged.

I’m using BLO on the handle.

BLO has driers in its formulation, something Raw Linseed oil does not and can get sticky under certain conditions.

Last edited by HKGuns; 01-07-18 at 09:27.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Gransfors has quite the following at work. Here's a few prior to being issued to instructors.
    GB.jpg
    Last edited by Tortuga; 01-07-18 at 14:20. Reason: image

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Nice! I am glad to see they are investing in quality tools that will serve them well.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I wish! They were all personal purchase.

We got a discount on them, but they still cost more than they did before the 2007 warehouse fire that destroyed much of their inventory. The only GOV purchased axes are the large Fiskers that we keep at the buildings.

https://blog.woodworkingtooltips.com...ors-bruks-usa/

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    +1 on the Gränsfors Bruks Small Forest Axe

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I don’t think I ever actually bought an axe in my life, these all came from my Dad. But the two on the floor were the ones he kept for himself until very late in life. Note the very slender handles. Double-bit heads (one is a “Plumb” brand and I forgot the other), doe’s-foot handles which are definitely not modified from single-bit handles. Don’t know if he made them, someone else made them, or if they were just very available at one time.
    Armload-o’-hatchets not shown!

The upright double-bit with new-looking curved handle is one where the old curved handle got broken teaching a kid how to split wood; the Old Man got a curved handle which was made for a single-bit head and modified it, like fifteen years ago. Various covers home made from leather, aluminum, and Kevlar.

Somebody name these tools. A few were found at an old logging camp site in the UP, ca 1890-1920.

Big fellas, specialty use, a left and a righty. Pretty sure Dad made the big handle:

Guys, we’re coaxing each other into dangerous territory here. I thought I had a bunch of axes and old lumberjack tools. Now you have me thinking I might have a collection. It’s all I can do to not spend half a day cleaning and sharpening and polishing and oiling and shopping for more. Please, stop the madness!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Why not clean and sharpen them all? I’d say you do indeed have a nice collection started.

You are from MI? Hmmm

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Guys, we’re coaxing each other into dangerous territory here.
    Tell me about it. It leads to scanning eBay and and stopping by garage sales, flea markets and antique stores looking for axe heads and scrutinizing piles of hickory handles for runout.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Somebody name these tools. A few were found at an old logging camp site in the UP, ca 1890-1920.
    I recognize the Peavey and a very well-worn pick head axe.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post
    Tell me about it. It leads to scanning eBay and and stopping by garage sales, flea markets and antique stores looking for axe heads and scrutinizing piles of hickory handles for runout.
    I just bought a GB vintage head on eBay to restore. Ha!

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast