Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Most un-reliable handgun you've ever owned...

Feedback Score
    I'm actually glad to say I've never owned a pistol that's unreliable. Only have 7 now, and two that I swapped (one I didn't shoot well and the other too heavy), so maybe that's too small of a sample size.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Taurus 24/7. The one and only Taurus I've ever owned.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Taurus 24/7. The one and only Taurus I've ever owned.
    Exactly this.

Had one years ago before I knew better. Extractor broke on the first trip to the range.
    "Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf."

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jondoe297 View Post
    Exactly this.

Had one years ago before I knew better. Extractor broke on the first trip to the range.
    On the other end of that spectrum 247 DS OSS Is one of my favorite and most reliable firearms ever

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    i had the will power to not buy guns. I even bought a gun store and work for a company that manufactures the forging machines for said guns. I need help.

Feedback Score
    1990's era Walther PPK/S. I thought it was great for carry and I'd buy it a year before the Brady Law so I'd avoid the panic.

Jammed on every third or fourth round even with good quality ball ammo.

I later bought an el cheapo Makarov in 9x18 and it ran 100% even with the early defensive loads made for that caliber.

James Bond gun went bye-bye real fast.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    The only pistol I've really had issues with is my wife's Glock 42. Numerous fail to feed and fail to eject malfunctions with various brands and types of ammo. It is the version with all of the latest updates after release. All of the mags were the latest versions as well. When I sent it back to Glock, they said they couldn't find any issues with the gun after running 50 rounds of FMJ through it and sent it back. I haven't had an issue with it since....

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The two Colt 1911's I was issued, and the Kimber Gold Combat II that I currently own. It's better than the (old) Colt's I used, but still has a lot of "rules" that make it a safe queen/occasional range toy. You know, "it's pretty reliable...as long as you use Wilson mags, clean it often, keep it wet, don't limp-wrist it, only feed it x brand ammo, don't let sand get in it, etc". The Colt's might have worked well with hotter ammo than the "match" ammo I would draw, but I'll never know at this point.

I see a lot of Kahrs on this list. I can't remember the last time my CW9 had a stoppage, although admittedly I probably only shoot 25 rnds every month or two out of it, and only when I'm home. I had a buddy that swears by his Kahr, but I'm not sure which model.

Every plastic gun I've owned or been issued has been very reliable. Sigs, too. I'm in the market for a 5" plastic gun currently.

ETA: I just re-read the thread and remembered that I load my CW9 with 7 rounds instead of 7+1 due to 2nd round malfunctions with 7+1. So I guess it goes on the unreliable list, too. Sort of.
    Last edited by 1168; 08-31-17 at 23:16. Reason: Add info

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I forgot to include a ParaOrdnance P14 full size 1911 in 45ACP. I bought it in early 1990s figured it was best of a big bore "Hi Cap" in a proven platform.Silly ignorant me.. Bad right out of the box! Front sight popped off in first box of 230Gr Federal ball, grip screws loosened then came out, couldn't find more than 2 mags out of 8 purchased (all were OEM) that worked, numerous failure to feed etc. I tried different ammo finally bringing it back to shop that sold it to me after 3 weeks. Sales guys & manager tried it out with my ok and had same issues with reliability then extractor broke while testing. Needless to say they took it back and with the refunded money I bought a NIB Sig P-220 WG made in 45ACP. With the exception of Trijicons, its box stock and has been my benchmark of reliability and ergonomics for me.
    Last edited by GNXII; 08-31-17 at 17:13.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Only guns I recall owning that as a type ever game me problems were 1911s. That's not to say they all did - every Colt I've ever owned was 100% and also a Springfield TRP. Had a Kimber TLE II and a Springfield Loaded about 10 years ago. Both were garbage - feeding and extracting issues, etc. Had a Springfield XD40 not long after the two problem 1911s that wasn't reliably unreliable, so I never trusted. I couldn't discern a pattern as to when/why it choked, across mags and ammo. Also bought a used Gen 2 Glock 17 that would jam every couple of magazines - could've been a bad mag, but I never liked it enough to mess with it. Still a "Glock" guy, though, having owned at least 10 over the years. Still have my Gen 3 17 and Gen 3 19 Austrian import.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I never owned it but was issued a S&W M&P .40 for a year and a half. I had zero confidence in the gun.

1. I dont like .40 (I own one .40 but it is/was purely for IPSC)
    2. It had a lot of problems with the slide release and the trigger group. Scary problems. I know people like to cry wolf and blame the gun but it really had some reset issues and nobody believed me until I showed them then they still didnt want to accept it. Granted these are coffee drinking chair jockeys but dammit man. The pistol was unsatisfactory.

3. Accuracy. It was just not accurate. Even in a rest. It was good enough for 3 yards and in but at 25 would be a bit spotty. S&W has admitted and addressed this but in 2007-8 nobody believed me.

4. Novak sights. On a modern fighting pistol; novak ramps really dont help if you had to do one handed slide manipulation. Every fighting pistol should have a step or a post rear sight.

5. The mag disconnector. I have been instructed that this could potentially be a good thing but if it is that bad then I'm screwed already. If a mag gets detached in a fight and I have just the one chambered round that I cant use then what?
    I'd sooner take my chances without it.

I had to fight and campaign to carry my personal G21 and it was worth it. Then word got out on the M&P. I know it is still popular with the "I just dont like Glock" crowd, but I am soured to it.

I will admit that the ergos weren't bad and the Sig style takedown lever was good but not a pistol I would spend my own money on.

I had a few hiccups with a Gen 3 S&W in the day. But once it was finally serviced; it was a lazer beam of a .45. The trigger was stupid long and heavy but that single stack was just as good as any 1911 for accuracy. You just had to practice the trigger.

But the M&P? Never again.
    Had similar issues with the 357sig version but with the added failed to extract. Very nice single shot pistol and that grip tool came in handy extracting shells.

The 9mm M&P was just not accurate.

The 45 was good but I bought it used and the previous owner had everything Apex'd! Still, the G21 was softer shooting and better feeling so the MP45 got traded for a G21.

I do like the 40 though

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 09-01-17 at 13:15.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast