Thread: Buying a Colt 6921 or other SBR Lower...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Thanks Frogman, and no, I actually had not seen that, but I did already know that IF they have removed it from the NFA "registry?" then, it can be sold as a NON NFA item, but thanks for making sure I was aware of that.

Anyhow, I suppose I was just wondering what the difference was between buying a "Factory SBR", and a regular lower, and SBRing it myself.
    It seems that the same ATF/NFA "wait time" is still mandatory, and apparently there is NO WAY to purchase an SBR in any way, and walk right out the door with it, without some kind of "wait time". (weeks, months/etc) - This IS correct, RIGHT?

Finally, it seems that the MAIN difference between a Factory SBR, and SBRing an existing lower, would be the engraving issue. IOW's, the only real reason to buy a Factory SBR, would be to avoid having to have the lower engraved with my personal info.
    That sounds good to me, and I would MUCH PREFER this over SBRing an existing lower.
    Thanks for clearing things up for me FROGMAN.

I suppose a final question I would ask, would be in regards to "Trust" vs the "Local Sherriff Signoff" method.
    I mean, IF I buy a factory SBR, and have it shipped to my local FFL, then do I still have the option of going with either a "Trust" or the "Local Sherriff Signoff Method"???
    I always wanted to do the TRUST, to AVOID having to deal with the local Sherriff, who is known to be a PIA, even though he has approved some NFA items for some guys.
    Is there a way to purchase this "Factory SBR" we have been talking about, and still use the TRUST method? (or IOW's, can I still AVOID having to get the local Sherriff to sign off on this Factory SBR????)

Just trying to determine IF the "Trust" vs "Local Sherrif Signoff" is still a decision I make, when purchasing a "Factory SBR"????
    Thanks FROGMAN. You have been VERY helpful.
    "ROLL RIGHT SNIPER!"

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Yes, the issue of trust vs. individual purchase is the same no matter what NFA item you're buying. You can have SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, machine guns, etc. on a trust.

I'm currently in the process of purchasing a factory SBR using a trust. Right now, I've purchased the gun, and it is being transferred from the out-of-state dealer to my local NFA guy. This Monday will make 3 weeks of waiting on that Once it arrives, I'll then have to wait for it to transfer to me (my trust).
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cataldo View Post
    Thanks Frogman, and no, I actually had not seen that, but I did already know that IF they have removed it from the NFA "registry?" then, it can be sold as a NON NFA item, but thanks for making sure I was aware of that.

Anyhow, I suppose I was just wondering what the difference was between buying a "Factory SBR", and a regular lower, and SBRing it myself.

The main difference is the form used, and the process.

For a factory SBR, a Form 4 is used, and the process is what I described in my last post.....(item transferred to in state class 3 dealer.... send Form 4 to ATF, while item remains at in state class 3 dealer.... Form 4 is approved.... pick up item at in state class 3 dealer)

For a regular lower, and SBRing it yourself, a Form 1 is used and no dealer is necessary. Assuming you have the regular lower in hand.... this is how some have recommended you complete the process...
    Have your lower engraved with your personal/trust info (first name, last name, city, state). Doing this step first helps ensure the engraving is correct before sending in your paperwork. Next, fill out a Form 1 and send it to the ATF. Upon approval, purchase your SBR upper. Some people have purchased their SBR upper prior to receiving their approved Form 1 and kept the upper and lower at separate addresses.

It seems that the same ATF/NFA "wait time" is still mandatory, and apparently there is NO WAY to purchase an SBR in any way, and walk right out the door with it, without some kind of "wait time". (weeks, months/etc) - This IS correct, RIGHT?

That is correct.

Finally, it seems that the MAIN difference between a Factory SBR, and SBRing an existing lower, would be the engraving issue. IOW's, the only real reason to buy a Factory SBR, would be to avoid having to have the lower engraved with my personal info.

Correct.

That sounds good to me, and I would MUCH PREFER this over SBRing an existing lower.
    Thanks for clearing things up for me FROGMAN.

I suppose a final question I would ask, would be in regards to "Trust" vs the "Local Sherriff Signoff" method.
    I mean, IF I buy a factory SBR, and have it shipped to my local FFL, then do I still have the option of going with either a "Trust" or the "Local Sherriff Signoff Method"???

Yes. Just as you have the option to go with a trust or individual (sheriff sign off) if you were transferring a suppressor or MG.

I always wanted to do the TRUST, to AVOID having to deal with the local Sherriff, who is known to be a PIA, even though he has approved some NFA items for some guys.

Not to mention the other added benefits of having your NFA items in a trust.

Is there a way to purchase this "Factory SBR" we have been talking about, and still use the TRUST method? (or IOW's, can I still AVOID having to get the local Sherriff to sign off on this Factory SBR????)

Yes, you can purchase the factory SBR and fill out the Form 4 with your trust info.

Just trying to determine IF the "Trust" vs "Local Sherrif Signoff" is still a decision I make, when purchasing a "Factory SBR"????
    Thanks FROGMAN. You have been VERY helpful.
    You're welcome. Glad I could help!
    Once again I am not an attorney.
    I am speaking from my experience with successful Form 4 and Form 1 transfers using my trust.
    Let me know if you have any more questions.
    Last edited by FR0GMAN; 05-09-09 at 22:23.