Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini 14, stainless or blue?

Feedback Score

Mini 14, stainless or blue?

I told my wife to choose which rifle she wants, she is considering selling 'her' BM and getting a Mini 14. She likes the traditional 'feel' of the Mini, it's her rifle, her choice right? If she does decide to go with the Mini 14 does anyone have any thought as to which one would be better, stainless or blue?

Durability is my concern here, with the barrel and the bolt cycling in the receiver. Does anyone know if one stand up better to wear than the other?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jhs1969 View Post
    I told my wife to choose which rifle she wants, she is considering selling 'her' BM and getting a Mini 14. She likes the traditional 'feel' of the Mini, it's her rifle, her choice right? If she does decide to go with the Mini 14 does anyone have any thought as to which one would be better, stainless or blue?

Durability is my concern here, with the barrel and the bolt cycling in the receiver. Does anyone know if one stand up better to wear than the other?

Thanks
    If the BM is a Bushmaster, try and talk her into keeping it. My Mini14 was never very accurate, (By AR standards). 6-8" at 100M was about the best mine would do. YMMV and if there is no convincing her, get the stainless one.
    Last edited by chuckles; 01-10-09 at 14:16.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Mini-14 is reliable, but not durable. It's a fine commercial/sporting arm, best when use is kept light. Lube generously. Inspect often.

The biggest difference between the SS and blue models will be in corrosion resistance of the metals. The effect of barrel heating on POI is less apparent with the SS than the blue.

There are a number of small tweaks that can be made to improve accuracy on the Mini.

The newest rendition of the Mini (580) is better than the previous in most regards. I recommend the SS over the blue. Getting the 16" barreled model is also recommended.

A substantial shortcoming of the Mini in your case will be accomplishing best fit for your wife. The stock is a traditional commercial LOP, generally regarded as too long for even adult males.

If limited to those two options (BM or Mini-14), I would keep the BM.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    A substantial shortcoming of the Mini in your case will be accomplishing best fit for your wife. The stock is a traditional commercial LOP, generally regarded as too long for even adult males.
    Amen! Every so often I'll pull my Dad's Mini out and mess with it. I can't imagine a broad liking the LOP on that thing. I don't even like how long it is.

A bushmaster with collapsable stock should be infinitely more comfortable for a woman..... Unless we're talking about a BIG girl.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Amen! Every so often I'll pull my Dad's Mini out and mess with it. I can't imagine a broad liking the LOP on that thing. I don't even like how long it is.

A bushmaster with collapsable stock should be infinitely more comfortable for a woman..... Unless we're talking about a BIG girl.
    She is not big by any standard, 5'5"-5'6", 120lbs. She can handle and shoot the BM without any problems but she has always been exposed .22 rifles with the standard type stock and she feels more at ease with it. I explained I was in the same boat 20+ years ago but now anything that does not have an AR type layout feels un-natural to me. She would follow my lead if I insist we keep the BM for her (I have an LMT for myself), we have 50 or so mags for the AR's and lots of spare parts, but I'd like to let her make her own decisions too. I just got my lay off papers yesterday (Friday), so spending money to build up mags, accessories will be very limited to non-existent at this point. I may go ahead and insist we keep the BM for awhile and wait to see what happens in this region with work/the economy, I just don't like taking charge of her decisions if possible. If we were to sell the BM and get a Mini then she would only have 2-3 20rnd mags while I've got 50+ for my M4 and unable to share, which could be an issue someday.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another thing to consider:

Owners of an AR-type can obtain every component, large and small, of their rifle/carbine for service without manufacturer support. (Use of W&R at the manufacturer, credentialed armorers or smiths remains optimal.)

The user of a Mini-14 must return the rifle to the manufacturer for certain repairs, including a couple that deadline the rifle most frequently. Armorers are in short supply, and are also limited in what service they're able to perform.

If you get a Mini, get a spare.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Could she shoot a friend's mini for a while, before you commit it buying it? Or, at least keep the BM and add a mini.
    Blue vs. stainless is simply a matter of personal preference.
    Does she prefer the more traditional blue/wood (or synthetic), or the more corrosion resistant stainless?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Another thing to consider:

Owners of an AR-type can obtain every component, large and small, of their rifle/carbine for service without manufacturer support. (Use of W&R at the manufacturer, credentialed armorers or smiths remains optimal.)

The user of a Mini-14 must return the rifle to the manufacturer for certain repairs, including a couple that deadline the rifle most frequently. Armorers are in short supply, and are also limited in what service they're able to perform.

If you get a Mini, get a spare.
    I have already discussed this with her and it is a serious consideration.

Could she shoot a friend's mini for a while, before you commit it buying it? Or, at least keep the BM and add a mini.
    Blue vs. stainless is simply a matter of personal preference.
    Does she prefer the more traditional blue/wood (or synthetic), or the more corrosion resistant stainless?
    We don't have access to one to shoot, she wants to find a shop with one in stock to handle, shoulder and get a fresh idea what they feel like. She actually prefers the stainless synthetic, which I feel is one plus here.

I totally understand when something feels 'right' or 'wrong'. She understands the benefits of the BM, especially when I have an LMT M4 with several cases of ammo (which, at least, we can share) a bunch of mags and a tool box of spare parts. Her Mini (if we get one) will see far less service than my LMT, I just hope the Mini will be capable of giving many years of reliable service without special needs or parts. I'm tempted to just say 'no', we are keeping the BM. But I want her to be satisified too and if the Mini is what she want (and can give decent service) I guess I will let her decide for herself.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We don't have access to one to shoot, she wants to find a shop with one in stock to handle, shoulder and get a fresh idea what they feel like...

...But I want her to be satisified too and if the Mini is what she want (and can give decent service) I guess I will let her decide for herself.
    Good on you for facilitating her choice, rather than coercing or making it for her as many well-meaning (and not so well-meaning) significant others would.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I

I totally understand when something feels 'right' or 'wrong'. She understands the benefits of the BM, especially when I have an LMT M4 with several cases of ammo (which, at least, we can share) a bunch of mags and a tool box of spare parts. Her Mini (if we get one) will see far less service than my LMT, I just hope the Mini will be capable of giving many years of reliable service without special needs or parts. I'm tempted to just say 'no', we are keeping the BM. But I want her to be satisified too and if the Mini is what she want (and can give decent service) I guess I will let her decide for herself.

Minis tend to not need much service. That said, when they do need service it is a real pain as Ruger wouldn't supply fire control parts , bolts, firing pins and such to anybody so you had to send the mini back to the factory for a firing pin, hammer, trigger and maybe a few other parts. There has been some talk of loosening that policy from what I've read but I don't know if that has happened or if it will happen.
    Be sure to let her handle one a bit before she buys it. They have a fairly long length of pull. Triggers can be fixed nicely just like an M1 or M14 - M1A trigger can be fixed. Length of pull is fairly easy to fix by shortening the stock, of course.
    Last edited by g5m; 01-11-09 at 09:10. Reason: more info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast