Thread: Cutting down ARX-100 barrel

Feedback Score

Cutting down ARX-100 barrel

With the 10.5 inch ARX barrels not currently available, and silencer shop doing form 1s, I'm going to finally SBR my ARX. I know they are pretty gassy with a suppressor, but I'm wondering if I can reduce it by cutting down a 16" barrel to 10.5 or 11". Wouldn't the gas ports be a little too small for the shorter barrel? Maybe making the normal port more suppressor friendly and the adverse port more like the regular size on the longer barrel? I'm waiting on my Griffin Alpha too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drjaydvm View Post
    With the 10.5 inch ARX barrels not currently available, and silencer shop doing form 1s, I'm going to finally SBR my ARX. I know they are pretty gassy with a suppressor, but I'm wondering if I can reduce it by cutting down a 16" barrel to 10.5 or 11". Wouldn't the gas ports be a little too small for the shorter barrel? Maybe making the normal port more suppressor friendly and the adverse port more like the regular size on the longer barrel? I'm waiting on my Griffin Alpha too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I think you're on the right track. You may need to adjust the size of the gas ports. If you do it carefully, you should be able to have the gas system be suppressed/normal instead of normal/adverse. Keep in mind that gas will gradually increase as the gas ports wear over time, so leave the ports as small as you can and still get consistent function.

Feedback Score
    I don't think you'd have enough meat to thread it. The factory barrels increase in diameter at the muzzle.