Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Palmetto State Armory AR-15 Review

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DS-11B View Post
    Ah! Thanks for pointing that out! I edited it. All the groups on there are from 100 meters.
    Very nice accuracy and across a broad selection of ammo as well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist~ View Post
    Very nice accuracy and across a broad selection of ammo as well.
    yes I know! I've been impressed. I do think that it does best with the 69gr SMK stuff though. The worst group using that bullet is as good as the best groups (displayed) using 75 and 77gr bullets. The SMK bullets in general seem to be outstanding though. I thought maybe their reputation was a little hyped but apparently not.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That is a well built and good looking rifle. Just one question, why do you dislike the MI rail or say that it isn't as good as the troy. I have two of SS15 rails that have been pretty solid performers for me.

Before I purchased them, I researched this site and although there seems to be some negativity towards the MI rails, I have never seen any proof of why. I am just curious is all, so no negativity meant.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slvr Surfr View Post
    That is a well built and good looking rifle. Just one question, why do you dislike the MI rail or say that it isn't as good as the troy. I have two of SS15 rails that have been pretty solid performers for me.

Before I purchased them, I researched this site and although there seems to be some negativity towards the MI rails, I have never seen any proof of why. I am just curious is all, so no negativity meant.

Thanks!
    Well, two things. First let me say that on one of the things that I was concerned about, it was probably operator error, I probably am to blame. Anyway,

I like the way the Troy VTAC handguard feels better, it seems a little more narrow.

The other thing, and the Troy handguard might have the same problem, I don't know. The Aluminum of the MI handguard seems pretty soft. I accidentally stripped out the set screw.... The only thing about that is, I never strip screws! Believe me, I was NOT torquing on this screw at all. I put the proper sized hex key in the set screw to see how big of a pain it would be if I ever wanted to change handguards, and it literally immediately stripped out and began spinning freely. That might be a problem with ANY aluminum but I was surprised for one thing that they used aluminum set screws in the first place. I also don't know that I wouldn't have had the EXACT same problem with the Troy handguard but I don't know....

I can't emphasize to you enough how little effort I put into turning the hex key before it stripped out. Anyway, so now I'm thinking I am going to have to take it to the gunsmith and have him drill it out and rethread it (after stripped the screw I am not doing anything else to that handguard).

Since you have experience with these particular handguards I will ask: Have you ever had problems like this before? I wholly believe that it was my screw up that caused this problem but I'm telling you, I BARELY turned the hex key at all and it happened. What do you think?

Feedback Score
    Yeah I can't believe how cheap their stuff is considering the extra work they put in on them. Must be introductory or something.

The difference between the LPKs....you know, you are the FIRST person to ask me that lol. The difference, I'm sure, is that I was on a very tight schedule to get this build done before August 22nd so I was in a hurry and unfortunately PSA doesn't have expedited shipping options so I ordered from Midway.

As far as the quality? feels just like every other LPK I have ever handled. I guess if it says DD on the plastic bag it comes in, it warrants an extra 30 bucks lol

It literally came down to if I would have ordered from PSA I would have received it on Monday Aug 22nd. By ordering on Midway I got it Wednesday the 18th. I'm not sure if there are any other differences, like I said, it looked and felt the same though.
    Cool man. I figured it was pretty much the same.

I just ordered this kit.

https://delta3tactical.com/store/pro...Parts-Kit.html

First time I used this website. I called first and talked to the owner Don. He's a super cool guy with plenty knowledge. I ordered it friday so I should have it by tuesday I hope.

It's going in this lower

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kie...illetlower.htm

Also a first timer for me to use, and I called Joe Bob, also a cool guy. That lower is already waiting for me at my FFL once I get back into town tuesday I will have it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ok, I understand now. That screw is absolutely the weak point IMHO of the MI system. I purchased a BCM upper pre-built with the MI SS15 handguard. I removed the handguard to make some changes and then replaced it. I did the exact same thing you did. I completely stripped the hole as you did. I was pretty pissed at myself for doing that. I wasn't sure if I should re-thread it or contact MI to see about what they could do. I also was unsure if it was just the screw that was damaged.

As my luck would have it, I contacted MI via email during the week of this years SHOT show. A MI CS rep replied back that night. I honestly wasn't sure if I had stripped the screw or the hole the screw sits in. He told me that he would send out a new screw as soon as they returned the following week. True to his word he sent a brand new screw at their cost. I tried it and unfortunately confirmed that the hole was the issue.

I sent him another email telling him that the hole was in fact stripped. I told him that I wanted it fixed and that I was more than willing to pay for it since I damaged it. The only thing he asked was the length and color of rail that I had.

He sent me a brand new complete kit to replace the system I had. I could not believe that they sent the entire kit. The CS rep did not even want the old want back. With the complete kit came the installation instructions which CLEARLY stated to install that silly screw only finger tight. It is not to be installed with any significant torque. The screw is only designed to keep the handguard from turning if the jam nut comes loose.

I was really amazed about the CS that MI provided. Especially since I did not buy it directly from them. I was not even asked to provide any proof of having the original rail. I am sold on this company and now would not hesitate to buy more of their stuff. I am sure that the troy rails are bad ass. At the time that I purchased the pre built upper, the MI SS15 was the longest rail provided.

I would highly suggest that you contact MI and let them know of your issue. From my experience they will take care of you. I know of one other forum member who also had issues with his rail and was taken care of immediately.

I kept the damaged rail and now use it on my daily carry patrol rifle. I did try to re-thread the hole with the same diameter tap. It didn't work. I considered using a larger diameter but the new screw must coincide with the recess within the barrel nut. I have not tried anything else. I have been running the handguard with out the screw and have had ZERO issues. I just keep an eye on the jam nut to make sure that it is still tight. YMMV.

Well, two things. First let me say that on one of the things that I was concerned about, it was probably operator error, I probably am to blame. Anyway,

I like the way the Troy VTAC handguard feels better, it seems a little more narrow.

The other thing, and the Troy handguard might have the same problem, I don't know. The Aluminum of the MI handguard seems pretty soft. I accidentally stripped out the set screw.... The only thing about that is, I never strip screws! Believe me, I was NOT torquing on this screw at all. I put the proper sized hex key in the set screw to see how big of a pain it would be if I ever wanted to change handguards, and it literally immediately stripped out and began spinning freely. That might be a problem with ANY aluminum but I was surprised for one thing that they used aluminum set screws in the first place. I also don't know that I wouldn't have had the EXACT same problem with the Troy handguard but I don't know....

I can't emphasize to you enough how little effort I put into turning the hex key before it stripped out. Anyway, so now I'm thinking I am going to have to take it to the gunsmith and have him drill it out and rethread it (after stripped the screw I am not doing anything else to that handguard).

Since you have experience with these particular handguards I will ask: Have you ever had problems like this before? I wholly believe that it was my screw up that caused this problem but I'm telling you, I BARELY turned the hex key at all and it happened. What do you think?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ok, I understand now. That screw is absolutely the weak point IMHO of the MI system. I purchased a BCM upper pre-built with the MI SS15 handguard. I removed the handguard to make some changes and then replaced it. I did the exact same thing you did. I completely stripped the hole as you did. I was pretty pissed at myself for doing that. I wasn't sure if I should re-thread it or contact MI to see about what they could do. I also was unsure if it was just the screw that was damaged.

As my luck would have it, I contacted MI via email during the week of this years SHOT show. A MI CS rep replied back that night. I honestly wasn't sure if I had stripped the screw or the hole the screw sits in. He told me that he would send out a new screw as soon as they returned the following week. True to his word he sent a brand new screw at their cost. I tried it and unfortunately confirmed that the hole was the issue.

I sent him another email telling him that the hole was in fact stripped. I told him that I wanted it fixed and that I was more than willing to pay for it since I damaged it. The only thing he asked was the length and color of rail that I had.

He sent me a brand new complete kit to replace the system I had. I could not believe that they sent the entire kit. The CS rep did not even want the old want back. With the complete kit came the installation instructions which CLEARLY stated to install that silly screw only finger tight. It is not to be installed with any significant torque. The screw is only designed to keep the handguard from turning if the jam nut comes loose.

I was really amazed about the CS that MI provided. Especially since I did not buy it directly from them. I was not even asked to provide any proof of having the original rail. I am sold on this company and now would not hesitate to buy more of their stuff. I am sure that the troy rails are bad ass. At the time that I purchased the pre built upper, the MI SS15 was the longest rail provided.

I would highly suggest that you contact MI and let them know of your issue. From my experience they will take care of you. I know of one other forum member who also had issues with his rail and was taken care of immediately.

I kept the damaged rail and now use it on my daily carry patrol rifle. I did try to re-thread the hole with the same diameter tap. It didn't work. I considered using a larger diameter but the new screw must coincide with the recess within the barrel nut. I have not tried anything else. I have been running the handguard with out the screw and have had ZERO issues. I just keep an eye on the jam nut to make sure that it is still tight. YMMV.
    Wow that is excellent customer service. If they are giving out that kind of treatment and stand by their product that much then I will definitely be willing to give them a shot. I will contact them and see what they say. I will let you know what they say when I hear back. Thanks for letting me know this, you saved me a ton of trouble. Would you mind outlining to me how you eventually got the old screw out? I tried a screw extractor and all that accomplished was basically finishing off the threads. Did you just drill it out? Anyway, let me know what ended up working for you.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    PM sent.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    PM sent.
    I got it thanks. Did you get my response?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the review! I'll be purchasing the same upper this week to finish my build, really looking forward to it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast