Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Noveske Barrel Break-In (Stainless Steel)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Robb Jensen View Post

Oh but I was.

What you didn't post was what was the effect did the marks have on accuracy? Velocity? Barrel life? Or is it just much ado about nothing?

You haven’t tested very many new AR-15 barrels for accuracy from a bench-rest have you? Did you even read the information from Krieger Barrels Inc. that I posted above? The reamer marks on the leade need to be removed for the barrel to shoot to its accuracy potential. Did you even read my responses to your famous stock maker’s article? Even the famous stock maker admitted that the artifacts left in the throat had to be removed for the barrel to achieve its best accuracy. It’s the same for the reamer marks left on the leade. The barrel won’t shoot to its accuracy potential until those marks have been removed.

No one has been talking about velocity with regard to barrel break-in, so I don’t know why you would even bring that up. As for barrel life, again, did you even read my responses to the famous stock maker’s article? Percentages of barrel life were clearly discussed.

Here’s what a Krieger barreled AR-15 can do after the barrel has gone through a break-in process. Get back to me when you can do this with the first 10 shots from an AR-15 with a new barrel.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    You haven’t tested very many new AR-15 barrels for accuracy from a bench-rest have you? Did you even read the information from Krieger Barrels Inc. that I posted above? The reamer marks on the leade need to be removed for the barrel to shoot to its accuracy potential. Did you even read my responses to your famous stock maker’s article? Even the famous stock maker admitted that the artifacts left in the throat had to be removed for the barrel to achieve its best accuracy. It’s the same for the reamer marks left on the leade. The barrel won’t shoot to its accuracy potential until those marks have been removed.

No one has been talking about velocity with regard to barrel break-in, so I don’t know why you would even bring that up. As for barrel life, again, did you even read my responses to the famous stock maker’s article? Percentages of barrel life were clearly discussed.

Here’s what a Krieger barreled AR-15 can do after the barrel has gone through a break-in process. Get back to me when you can do this with the first 10 shots from an AR-15 with a new barrel.

i guess the biggest problem is that there's no way to compare. every barrel break-in procedure i've seen requires that the weapon be broken-in prior to firing strings... therefor there are no pre break-in groups to compare to post break-in groups.

how would that barrel have grouped before it was broken-in?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Impressive groups to say the least. If Kreiger barrels couldn't shoot that kind of groups new they would probably be loosing money.

What would be WAY more interesting to me would be to take two brand new stainless Kreiger barrels:

Barrel 1) take a chamber casting to include the throat and leade before shooting, another casting after the 'break in', and another at 2K rounds and shoot it for groups.
    Barrel 2) take a chamber casting to include the throat and leade when new before shooting, and one more chamber casting after 2K and shoot it for groups.

It would also be interesting to see what the velocity percentage of deviation was between rounds when the barrels were new vs. when they've had 2K rounds through them.
    Compare the before/after results of each barrel before and after 2K rounds and if the barrel break-in helped or didn't do anything. Don't really compare one barrel to the other for accuracy as that isn't the point of the study but to see at what percentage each barrel lost accuracy and velocity deviation from when each was new.
    I have my predictions but Noveske is saying that they find that the ritual 'break-ins' don't accomplish anything and this thread is about Noveske barrels.

I'd like to do some testing like that but I don't have that much time on my hands let alone the cash to buy two new barrels and 2K rounds to put through them.

My wife had a AR30 .338 Lapua which would shoot sub 1/2" groups at 200yds and we never did the voodoo break in. The first day we had it we fired 100 rounds out of it. Study group of 1 yes, but hey it didn't seem to hurt it at all.

I'm a competitive 3gun match shooter. Most of my time at the range is training and preparing for a match. Or testing firing or zeroing guns. So no I don't wait for a match to shoot a first 10 shot group out of a new barrel and pray that the gun runs at that match. I put 500 rounds through the gun w/o cleaning because I need to know it works, non working guns are a fantastic recipe for losing a match. If I were a groundhog shooter, benchrest shooter, or high power rifle shooter I'd probably be worried about the first 10 shots out of a barrel and worshipping over the barrel sacrificing goats blood practicing Santeria and all that.

FWIW we're in agreement on Kreiger, they are who manufactured my 16" midlength stainless barrel on my 3gun rifle. It's capable of accuracy that I'll never need for 3gun. I also use chrome lined barrels for 3gun and they work very well. They wouldn't make it lightweight enough so I had it turned down to .650" by someone else and also dimpled by Marvin Pitts, KAC style dimples.

They say opinions are like assholes....

Here's the advise from Schuemann barrels:
    http://www.schuemann.com/LinkClick.a...bid=67&mid=445 Schuemann says he only cleans the chamber and the only thing to go down the barrel is bullets but what the hell does he know?

My old Limited gun had a Schuemann gain twist .40AET barrel. Even after 25K rounds though it, it shot tiny little groups. Nothing scientific but it would easily smoke any 1911, Glock or M&P that I've shot even my old 1911 Bullseye guns that was built by Precision Weapons at Quantico with a Barsto barrel.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    ...and Molon's borescope pictures are chicken's blood?
    As far it relates to accuracy on target, yup. Got the former SNCOIC of Marine Corps Mountain Sniper School at Bridgeport here, reading this thread, shaking his head. His M40 at the school was rebarreled 3 times and it was a solid sub MOA performer without break in. He doesn't think break in is needed nor will it help more than shooting the weapon.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Still and all, Molon's borescope pictures show a clear improvement at the leade and for the investment of 20 rounds, it removes a variable when one is chasing ultimate accuracy. The group Molon showed isn't just tight, it's round.

This isn't to say I suggest that anyone would incur the wrath of Baron Samedi if the sacred rituals of breaking in the bore were not performed. Folks, such as your Marine Corp friend, are successful shooters without doing so. Before I saw Molon's pictures, I would have told you the barrel is going to smooth itself without a break in. But now, it's something I feel I should investigate further. The pictures show it's more than just chicken blood
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-30-11 at 17:29.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Ok, let me see if I got this right...

The only thing that will smooth it out is firing it. The reason for the fire/clean "break in" is to have the same smoothing effect w/o excessive fouling?

I would also gather, that Noveske doesn't recommend a break-in because the vast majority of their customers aren't 500 yard+ shooters.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post

The only thing that will smooth it out is firing it. The reason for the fire/clean "break in" is to have the same smoothing effect w/o excessive fouling?

I would also gather, that Noveske doesn't recommend a break-in because the vast majority of their customers aren't 500 yard+ shooters.
    i don't think noveske caters to the "majority" of their customers- but his originally intended customers don't need a gun that does 1/2" at 500 meters. minute of man at 500, if it gains you some barrel longevity is perfectly "good enough." it's a tradeoff... but one that actually works best for the "majority."

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post

The theory is that with a rough leade, copper fouling will occur and deposit itself into the rough file-like texture, preventing the subsequent bullets passing through to further smooth out the rough areas.

If you shoot once, clean the fouling, and shoot another, then the subsequent bullets are acting on a clean bore/leade without any fouling deposits over it, allowing the rough spots to smooth over.

Whether or not this has any measurable impact on accuracy is what is being questioned.
    Last edited by uwe1; 01-30-11 at 21:45.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwe1 View Post
    The theory is that with a rough leade, copper fouling will occur and deposit itself into the rough file-like texture, preventing the subsequent bullets passing through to further smooth out the rough areas.

If you shoot once, clean the fouling, and shoot another, then the subsequent bullets are acting on a clean bore/leade without any fouling deposits over it, allowing the rough spots to smooth over.

Whether or not this has any measurable impact on accuracy is what is being questioned.
    Yep.

And then there are also dumbasses that shoot lapping rounds through there bores. Stupid is as stupid does...
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robb Jensen View Post
    Yep.

And then there are also dumbasses that shoot lapping rounds through there bores. Stupid is as stupid does...
    Just wondering aloud, is it possible that the copper fouling filling in the rough texture, eventually gets as smooth as the rest of the leade kind of like smoothing over rough areas of drywall with putty? If it does, the rough surface would cease to be as rough. The "roughness" would then only be re-exposed if the leade/bore were to be cleaned with a copper solvent.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast