Thread: Standard Issue ACOG?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Standard Issue ACOG?

Can someone tell me which model of ACOG is the "standard issue" for the US military? Does it vary between service branches?

Thanks,
    Pete

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    There's a lot of crossover.

TA01 variants were a part of the SOPOD kit at one time. 4x32 optic, no fiber-optic. Differing reticles based on model selected.

TA31RCOA4 and TA31RCOM4 are the primary rifle and carbine optics, respectively, currently issued by the Marine Corps. 4x32 optic, tritium and fiber-optic illuminated chevron reticle

The Army picked up an RCO variant that they call the M150. Some small differences from the USMC RCO variants, but essentially the same optic and reticle.

That doesn't include stuff open-purchased by individual units: TA11s, TA33s, more. Then, there's all the stuff scaled for 7.62......

If you're looking for capability, there's tons of ACOG threads to read up on, if you use the Search function: http://m4carbine.net/search.php?searchid=2193204

If you're just looking for a look, then take your pick, you'll get it right pretty much regardless of any ACOG 3x and over you choose, since they all look pretty similar in terms of profile.
    Last edited by JSantoro; 07-28-10 at 15:58.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thank you very much, Jim. That answered my queston beyond my expectations, and I greatly appreciate it. My 16 year-old son wants to replace the Aimpoint on his Colt carbine with an ACOG, and had settled on the TA31RCOM4. He wanted to know how that compared to what the Marines use.

Thanks again!

-Pete

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    That is what we use, but on a 16" Carbine, the plain TA31F would be my choice. An ARD and LaRue RCO mount for the price difference is worth it.
    Last edited by TehLlama; 07-29-10 at 15:34.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    There's a lot of crossover.

TA01 variants were a part of the SOPOD kit at one time. 4x32 optic, no fiber-optic. Differing reticles based on model selected.

TA31RCOA4 and TA31RCOM4 are the primary rifle and carbine optics, respectively, currently issued by the Marine Corps. 4x32 optic, tritium and fiber-optic illuminated chevron reticle

The Army picked up an RCO variant that they call the M150. Some small differences from the USMC RCO variants, but essentially the same optic and reticle.

That doesn't include stuff open-purchased by individual units: TA11s, TA33s, more. Then, there's all the stuff scaled for 7.62......

If you're looking for capability, there's tons of ACOG threads to read up on, if you use the Search function: http://m4carbine.net/search.php?searchid=2193204

If you're just looking for a look, then take your pick, you'll get it right pretty much regardless of any ACOG 3x and over you choose, since they all look pretty similar in terms of profile.
    Is the TA31ECOS part of the SOPMOD kit or has the Elcan overshadowed it?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    My primary experience in that regard is dealing with MARSOC Marines, and they've all had the Elcans in their kits, though many use the RCO. It's up to them or their command as to what they use. They get lots of gear from SOCOM, but they still get all the same stuff any Marine rifleman would from the Corps.

Overshadowed isn't the word I'd use. Between the two options, I think the Elcan has the edge in a side-by-side.
    Last edited by JSantoro; 07-30-10 at 09:14.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXSUT View Post
    Can someone tell me which model of ACOG is the "standard issue" for the US military? Does it vary between service branches?

Thanks,
    Pete
    It varies between units, I saw TA01NSN's and red chevron TA31's when I was active duty. In the 25th I dont think there was any standardization with optics, unitsgot whatever was available at the time. Same went with the Aimpoints, before 2006 we got the Comp M2's, right after coming home they got boxed back up and replaced with Comp M4's.
    Last edited by Turnkey11; 08-15-10 at 00:00.