Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 9mm 1911 conversion from SACS

Feedback Score

My 9mm 1911 conversion from SACS

Just got back my gun back from the Springfield Armory Custom Shop. It started out as a Nighthawk Custom T3, and has had the entire top end replaced. They even threw in a few goodies for free that I didn't expect, like re-profiling and re-finishing my thumb safety (didn't request it). I had originally wanted a T3 in 9mm, but the wait times were a no-go for me, so I had the T3 in .45 converted instead.

Only two complaints. They hardchromed my extractor, which I specifically asked them not to (it's an Aftec), and the bushing and bushing/barrel fit is Baer-like tight. Not a little tight, but puckered-up-butthole-on-a-scary-roller-coaster tight. Other than, I'm very satisfied with their work.

Quick update, the extractor was bead blasted, not hard chromed as I originally thought.
    Last edited by ruchik; 06-24-13 at 09:03.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    very cool. But I have to ask, Why not just have the SACS build you a 9mm gun from scratch? I'm sure the T3 wasn't cheap. Can you interchange the 45 top end?
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    Very nice!

What magazines do you intend to use?

The locals have been using several brands and still have not reached a consensus. Tripp 9mm and Tripp 38 Super mags seem to be favorites but Wilson 9mm and McCormick 38 Super are also well represented. That's for the 10 rounders. There are several different 9 rounders.

Feedback Score
    I live in California, and it's a tedious process to go through a single shot exemption, especially if the seller is not quite up to date on the ins and outs of CA law. Since the T3 is on the approved roster for sales, I figured I'd give the .45 a go. Kick was a little too much for small hands and frame, so I went back to my original plan and got me a 9mm 1911. I got back all the original parts, but it's not interchangeable back to .45.

Right now I've got a few of the Metalform mags with the built-in front ramp. I could get them from Springfield Armory, but their markup was ridiculous. Got the same mags minus the SA logo for nearly 10 dollars cheaper elsewhere.
    Last edited by ruchik; 06-20-13 at 22:21.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have 10 Dawson Precision (metalform body) 10 round magazines that have performed flawlessly through 3k rounds since ive gotten the gun.

What weight recoil spring are you running in this thing and are you running this as a self defense firearm or a range toy?
    You are a genuine toolbag if you have your EDC "loadout" in your signature line...

Feedback Score
    I emailed Dave at SACS to see what recoil spring weight he recommends. I plan to use this as as my go-to gun for self-defense, but not until I shake out at least 500 ball and 500 of my chosen carry ammo through it first.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    I think SACS knows what they're doing when it comes to a 9mm.

I had a 9mm Custom Carry that I stupidly got rid of last year. That's the only gun I wish I would've kept.

The Aftec extractor is a good part, especially with a 9mm.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    I think SACS knows what they're doing when it comes to a 9mm.

I had a 9mm Custom Carry that I stupidly got rid of last year. That's the only gun I wish I would've kept.

The Aftec extractor is a good part, especially with a 9mm.
    Yup. The Warren 9mm 50k round test comes to mind.

Feedback Score
    So Dave says there's a #14 in there right now. It seems a bit light to me, but I'm assuming that's because I've also got an EGW square bottom firing pin stop in there. That, coupled with the super tight bushing, leads me to believe that a heavier recoil spring would slow down the slide too much. He does recommend switching to a heavier spring as the gun wears in, however.

Feedback Score
    Quick update, turns out the extractor was bead blasted, not hard chromed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast