Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.5in barrel/Carbine length FF HG/Suppressor Help

Feedback Score

7.5in barrel/Carbine length FF HG/Suppressor Help

So I recently finished this SBR build:

However, I was told that the Troy VTac rail would allow me to mount my suppressor (a SilencerCo Saker). It doesn't.

What I am looking for is a FF rail that ends right at the end of the shoulder of the barrel. This would be a rail EXACTLY 7in long. It seems that most "7in" rails are in reality 7.25in...

I really don't want to use a YHM rail or other rail that would index OVER the suppressor in case it ever gets shot without the suppressor mounted (and its an aesthetic thing)

So, does anyone know if there is a 7in rail that is really 7in and not more? The Centurion Arms rail says it's 7in but does that mean 7 or 7.25?

Thanks for the help!

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Why not have your VTac rail cut down at a machine shop?
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdcgrohl View Post
    Or a chop saw with a sharp blade on it.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdcgrohl View Post
    /\ this is prob your best option

although with that rail i would cut it down but leave the top rail like the old larue "gooseneck" rails.

i just went through this with my 7" upper that i wanted to mount my can on. i ended up with an 8" rail and 9" barrel as a solution

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I just built an upper with a 7.5" barrel and a Samson Evo 7.6" rail. The rail is a hair over 7.5" so it appears the Samson stated lengths are accurate. They make a 7 and 7.6 inch rail, so the 7 may work for you.

The Evo is surprisingly solid for an inexpensive rail.
    Last edited by DWood; 08-30-14 at 12:12.
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Or a chop saw with a sharp blade on it.
    I thought about doing JUST that, however it would leave the rail with several of the long slots unsupported at the end of the rail...

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog714 View Post
    I thought about doing JUST that, however it would leave the rail with several of the long slots unsupported at the end of the rail...
    As easy as those rails are to RR and considering their low value in the used marketplace I wouldn't worry about that. What is left will still be a section of a cylinder and stronger than you think.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sounds like it's time to make an appointment with Dr. Sawzall and Nurse Bighammers

Nice concept, BlackDog. How's it shoot?
    Last edited by MistWolf; 08-31-14 at 00:55.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Dump the 7.5 barrel and get a real one. On a side note, when you get a baffle strike you will want a different rail anyways.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Dump the 7.5 barrel and get a real one. On a side note, when you get a baffle strike you will want a different rail anyways.
    And why would I get a baffle strike? Never had an issue with that barrel and the Saker is warranted on a 7.5in barrel.

It was a build specifically designed for stealth. I built it to accompany my everywhere. It fits in a backpack that I carved out foam to fit inside. I put a soft first aid pouch over the top of the foam, so unless you actually lifted the cover of the first aid pouch, you'd never see the gun...

It functions perfectly with and without the suppressor. It's got over 500 rounds through it and except for a few FTE the first mag, it's been flawless. I was cognisant of keyholing with such a short barrel and the ONLY time I saw anything other than a perfect .224 circle in paper was using 80gn handloads that had to be hand chambered because they wouldn't fit in a mag...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast