Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Joining the 1-4 Variable Club

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    FOV on the PX4i is 110 ft at 1x and 27.5 ft at 4x and is true 1x, according to Steiner. It also has a constant eye relief through the magnification range. The Leupy VXR is 1.25x on the low end and has a 74.2 ft FOV at 1.25x and a 29.4 ft FOV at 4x. The VXR's eye relief distance also changes .430" thousands of an inch through its magnification range.
    https://www.steiner-optics.com/riflescopes/p4xi-1-4x24

Steiners eye relief is 4.0" to 3.5".

Also, it isn't really 1x or at least not like an Aimpoint PRO. I can definitely tell the front sight blurs from magnification vs. the PRO.

VXR eye relief is 4.17" to 3.74"

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compa...ctedSku=111231

Eye box is more forgiving on the VXR....that isn't meaning the P4XI eye box is bad, just not as forgiving as the VXR.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 03-08-18 at 23:06.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    You’re not going to get a true 1x from any scope less than $1k and maybe not even then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    You’re not going to get a true 1x from any scope less than $1k and maybe not even then.

I think Mr. G&G said he hadn't seen true 1x in $2k scopes.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ive been using the Steiner PX4 in Midwest Industries QD Mount for nearly a year now...damn thing is sweet. Got mine on sale mounts & all at DSG.
    Also- in the Amazon link you gave for descriptive purposes only...they advertise the scope as Imported...then three lines later Manufactured in the USA. WTH?
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    VXR in Aero SPR.
    P4XI in ADM Scout X
    Last edited by jsbhike; 03-09-18 at 09:05.

Feedback Score
    AR's with variables on them are just downright sexy, don't you think? (Not that anyone should use that as a reason to use that type of optic).

It's just that in my mind the 1-4 variable in an extended mount must look to the uninitiated like the gun will carve huge chunks of meat out of you before it kills you]

Or that you can hit a gnat's eyeball from the next county.

I'm choosing to go the variable route because of middle-aged eyesight, but I just think it looks badass on a carbine.

Any of you guys feel like posting more pics of your variable setup?
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 03-09-18 at 09:21.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I prefer the look (and the view) of a scope with eye relief on the longer side mounted forward on bolt actions too. I think part of my preference comes from picking up rifles at gun shows where the scope is mounted so far to the rear that cheek weld ends up near the butt pad/plate.

Feedback Score

Leupold Mark AR Firedot 1.5 - 4 in a Midwest Industries Mount.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Field of View (FOV) on the P4Xi is pretty decent at 110 ft at 100yds.

In my opinion, field of view is largely overlooked by consumers when shopping for optics; a huge mistake. Consider what you can see with both eyes open, compared to looking through a toilet paper tube. With both eyes open, you see more and you can see it faster. Through a toilet paper tube your vision is limited and you have to “hunt” for targets. While this example might sound extreme, it is actually right on target. Many of the lower end scopes with a field of view not exceeding 80 feet at 100 yards actually feel like looking through a toilet paper tube. Field of view might be the most important factor in fast rifle transitions. Field of view affects the speed of initial target acquisition, target transitions, and re-acquisition. Field of view literally translates into how much you can see through the scope. Hunting for targets slows you down. When you have a large field of view, you can often see the next targets in the scope without breaking cheek weld. Field of view might be even more important as the trend in 3 gun is moving towards 3 Gun Nation style rifle stages with close fast paper and lots of barricades. Field of view also dictates how much magnification you can use on farther targets. If you don’t have a large field of view you can’t use the magnification you’ve paid for because you won’t be able to find your targets. It should be noted that the field of view on the P4Xi is usable to the edges of the glass and that there is no distortion or fishbowl effect as you move the scope. The eye box is also pretty decent on 1x and allows you to see through the scope with an imperfect mount or when shooting from strange positions.

Feedback Score
    Here's another interesting 1-4x variable by Atibal and a very interesting comparison in this article. It's their made in Japan flagship line which has their HD glass. However, FOV isn't that great which makes me think it is similar to the Leupold Mark AR Firedot 1.5 - 4 but with better glass.
    http://www.thenewrifleman.com/atibal...e-razor-hd-ii/
    Last edited by ToeheadAR; 03-09-18 at 13:46.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast