Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Build for a petite shooter.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Lightweight Build for a petite shooter.

Last year I built my wife a rifle, as she had shown interest in the build I had done for me, and of course wanted one for herself; it was a good thing that when I bought my lower, I bought a spare for this eventuality. The initial build was a straight-up 16" free floated "standard rifle" very similar to many of the rifles here on this forum. When I built it I wasn't sure just how much she'd take to shooting it, so I signed her up for a Magpul Carbine I class, so that she could learn the manipulation basics from someone other than me, all in the spirit of maintaining household harmony! Her previous M4 experience had been some agency familiarization, and regular shooting of the Colt SMG, though while similar it is a completely different beast. Well, she took to shooting her M4 like a fish to water and has since attended two other courses within 90 days of the first.

At the first course I had the opportunity to talk to Steve Fisher and Iraqgunz about her rifle, and improvements that could be made to make it a better fit for her. Chief among the suggestions were the replacement of the barrel with a pinned lightweight 14.5 and the use of Centurion Arms C4 rails (unavailable at the time of the initial build). As she is barely over 5' tall, shaving some weight and some length were in order, however, at the time a full-out SBR is and was out of the question so this is what we have ended up with. For now I do not have an overall weight, what I can say is that MOD II is a full one pound, four ounces lighter than MOD 1, with most all of that weight difference removed from the barrel nut forward. These weights are taken from the manufacturers, as I do not have a decent scale at home. Changes from MOD I to MOD II that I do not have weights for are the deletion of the Magpul MOE RVG and replacing it with LaRue hand stops. Weight of the upper receiver, BCG, and charging handle are not included below as they are constants from one to the other.

First build “MOD I” Upper

BCM Upper Receiver (wt. not included)
    Daniel Defense 16.1 M-4 Barrel 28.2oz
    Troy TRX 11” Rail 20.4oz
    Troy folding F+R HK BUIS 3.2oz
    YHM Phantom FH 2.1oz
    Gas Tube .4
    DD LP .750 Gas Block 1.8oz
    Total 56.1oz

Second Build “MOD II” Upper

Noveske Chainsaw Upper Receiver (wt. not included)
    BCM 14.5 L/W CHF Barrel Mid 21.0oz
    Centurion Arms 10” Rail 11.4oz
    Magpul F+R BUIS 2.5oz
    BattleComp 1.5 Brake 2.5oz
    Gas Tube .5oz
    DD LP .625 Gas Block 1.8oz
    Total 39.7oz

BCM BCG and Charging Handle carry over from MOD I to MOD II, and do not affect the tabulated weight. The only changes to the lower were the removal of the Magpul standard MOE grip and replacing it the the MOE "K" grip.

As soon as I can access a digital scale in a couple of weeks I'll post the before and after weights.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I hope she likes it.
    Last edited by kmrtnsn; 02-27-12 at 22:44.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Very nice! It looks like some really well thought out changes without sacrificing the reliability or capability of the weapon. Everyone also seems to have really good things to say about Centurion rails, they are definitely on my list for the next build.

And congrats on getting the wife to shoot! I can only get my fiance to shoot a .22 pistol so far. Baby steps, baby steps.

Feedback Score
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Light-weight rifles?? Always on the tip of our tongues these days ...

Fellas, where are you meeting these girls that want to shoot and further more take some quality classes?!(and I'm a West Virginia boy)

I wonder what the girl's equivalent of a man building his wife a carbine is?? Reading a Nick Sparks book? haha jesshhh

I'm not picking on yah, kmr nor is that my intention to come off that way. I just have never seen one of these girls (that doesn't smoke while she dips at the local country fair trying to coral the 3 youngest kids haha) so good for you man! Shooters' definition of love?!

Gettin' off topic here..... that is a GREAT looking rifle no matter who the user. Lucky girl! And that K grip grows on me every time I see it.That being said, lets not stereotype it as a girl's grip here at M4C 'cos that may be on one of mine it the future! haa

Good stuff man and thanks for posting!
    Never quit, can't loose.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was finally able to get a hold of a scale. The final kitted out weight, as pictured with MS-3 sling and the addition of a Magpul RSA added to the rails was 6.85lbs.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Any reason you went with a railed HG instead of one of the slick tube versions?
    IIRC, a 9" Troy TRX Extreme is around 8.5 oz, and no added weight from rail covers/ladders.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 03-22-12 at 02:04. Reason: weight correction
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Any reason you went with a railed HG instead of one of the slick tube versions?
    IIRC, a 9" Troy TRX Extreme is around 8.5 oz, and no added weight from rail covers/ladders.
    We went with the Centurion C4 on the recomendation of Iraqgunz, my wife liked the grip/purchase it provided after handling his SBR. LaRue Index Clips were used instead of rail covers.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Nicely done. How is that Centurion treating her?`

Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    We went with the Centurion C4 on the recomendation of Iraqgunz, my wife liked the grip/purchase it provided after handling his SBR. LaRue Index Clips were used instead of rail covers.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What is a "Noveske Chainsaw Upper Receiver (wt. not included)", what exactly does "chainsaw" mean? In the picture it just looks like a standard M4 receiver.

Google answered for me. "Blem" worked better for me and was not as gimicky, but I guess at the end of the day it doesn't matter.
    http://noveskerifleworks.com/impdf/noveske_chainsaw.pdf
    Last edited by TMS951; 03-22-12 at 09:42.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Nicely done. How is that Centurion treating her?`
    Very, very well. Although the Mod 1 rifle that she had in Tucson in November wasn't a bad rifle, Mod 2 kicks its butt with the weight savings and the shorter barrel. We probably could have saved another couple of ounces with a shorter C4 or a shorter Troy TRX Extreme but she liked the feel/fit of the 10" C4 so that is what we went with. Sometimes, even when the game is "make it lighter and save weight" you have to trade a little weight for the right piece.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Nice build! Makes me want to build my lady something, but then we can have her with a nicer rifle than me lol
    edit: OP what was total build cost if you dont mind me asking?
    Last edited by jared91; 04-23-12 at 11:07.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast