Page 1 of 103 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: 1-4 Variable optic options

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Post 1-4 Variable optic options

I posted this on another forum awhile back and thought I would share it here as well. I will be adding more to this list as I recently got the new Meopta's in stock.

C4

www.GRTactical.com

I have the privilege of having the USO SN-4, Trijicon Accupoint, Horus Talon and the S&B Short Dot in my possession. I have spent some time with each of these optics and have come to some conclusions about which is the best. Here is a three up and three down review of each:

USO SN-4

Up
    1. Chevron in circle reticle
    2. Glass quality
    3. Ranging capability

Down
    1. Cost
    2. Weight
    3. Illumination not visible in full sun

Trijicon Accupoint

Up
    1. Cost
    2. Triangle reticle
    3. Eye Relief

Down
    1. Not 30mm
    2. No ranging
    3. FOV

Horus Talon

Up
    1. Cost
    2. FOV
    3. Ranging reticle

Down
    1. Illumination not visible in full sun
    2. Reticle very busy

S&B Short Dot

Up
    1. FOV
    2. Controls (pull out on knobs to turn & release to lock again)
    3. Illumination visible in full sun

Down
    1. Cost
    2. Weight
    3. Reticle not visible on 1X (not necessarily bad)

Only the Accupoint and S&B have visible illumintation in full sun. This gives them a big advantage IMHO. The Talon is just as good as SN-4 for almost half the price. The Accupoint still remains the best bang for the buck.

The S&B is now my new favorite. The first 6 postions on the illumination dial are for NV. Position 7 gives you a visible dot on a cloudy day or indoors. Postion 8-11 are visible in full sun. The great thing about the illumination dial is that you don't have to go back to 0 to turn the dot off. Just go between a number and the dot shuts off!

On 1X the reticle really isn't all the visible. I at first found this to be a negative, but then began to think about it. If your running on 1X your most likely in a CQB environment and would be using the illuminated dot. The fact that you don't have the black reticle cluttering up the glass is a good thing IMHO. In 2-4X the reticle is precise and useable. The windage and elevation knobs feel precise and I like that you pull them up and then turn to make adjustments. This does away with the need to have caps over them (smart).

S&B on 1X

S&B on 1X with illumination

S&B on 4X with illumination

Feedback Score
    Grant-
    While I haven't had experience with either the Horus or the Trijicon offering, I used both the USO and S+B models overseas.

I could add an adverse issue or two with the USO but you have defined the pros and cons on these.

I do like the S+B.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus
    Grant-
    While I haven't had experience with either the Horus or the Trijicon offering, I used both the USO and S+B models overseas.

I could add an adverse issue or two with the USO but you have defined the pros and cons on these.

I do like the S+B.
    I have as well found an issue with the SN-4. I broke mine.

C4

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Good post Grant, I think these optics are only starting to become more popular. Instead of explaining things to people over and over, I'll just refer them to this thread. I've got a feeling this thread will continue to grow with info.

More pictures of people setups, along with their own personal observations will make this thread even better. I'll have to dig up some pictures of my current Accupoint setup.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman
    Good post Grant, I think these optics are only starting to become more popular. Instead of explaining things to people over and over, I'll just refer them to this thread. I've got a feeling this thread will continue to grow with info.

More pictures of people setups, along with their own personal observations will make this thread even better. I'll have to dig up some pictures of my current Accupoint setup.
    Thanks for the feedback. I personally love 1-4 variable optics and think they are the do all optic.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Does anybody have any info on the new Nightforce 1-4x? Personally I'm a big fan of the Short Dot, but it is pricey to say the least. After reading a few threads on other forums guys seem to be making a big deal about the Nightforce being a "True" 1x optic. What exact difference is this going to make? I know the S&B is 1.1x and it never bothered me in the least. Hell, to be honest I could not tell the difference. Is this "True 1x" talk just Internet noise?
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VA_Dinger
    Does anybody have any info on the new Nightforce 1-4x? Personally I'm a big fan of the Short Dot, but it is pricey to say the least. After reading a few threads on other forums guys seem to be making a big deal about the Nightforce being a "True" 1x optic. What exact difference is this going to make? I know the S&B is 1.1x and it never bothered me in the least. Hell, to be honest I could not tell the difference. Is this "True 1x" talk just Internet noise?

Pics and short review of the Nightforce 1-4x can be found here:

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads...0&page=0#28017

Grant

Awesome info, this thread should be a sticky......Anyway to make that happen?

Semper Fi
    Jeff

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC03
    Awesome info, this thread should be a sticky......Anyway to make that happen?[/b]

Semper Fi
    Jeff
    Consider it done.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    48 (100%)
    I just zeroed my TR21R on my carbine today and I have to say that the adjustment knobs on the Accupoint made it the easiest scope I've ever dialed in. I can't wait to use it beyond 25yds. I like the reticle even more than I thought I would as well.

Page 1 of 103 1231151101 ... LastLast