Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CMMG Uppers

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

CMMG Uppers

Hi what is the Opinion on CMMG uppers?
    I am looking for a New Upper and have narrowed it down between LMT and CMMG.
    I am looking at a 14.5" with a Phanton 5C2 FH attached.
    Thanks

Dave

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've got a 16" lightweight middy.
    i've only put about 400 rounds through it, but it's been flawless so far. they're pretty quick compared to a lot of builders (i got mine in under a month.. and this was during the holiday season)
    for the cash i think they're tough to beat. Hell for any price.
    the MP test all their barrels and bolts. 4150 steel barrels.
    they offer 1 in 7 twist on basically everything.
    very nice fit and finish.

there's some story floating around here or TOS that somebody got an upper with really soft front sight taper pins. seems to be a fluke most likely.

if i get another upper it'll probably be a noveske though. $$$

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I've had a few issues with CMMG uppers, some just nuisances, some serious functional issues. And yes, they do have extremely soft FSB taper pins, which is a pain in butt as I've experienced it myself.

I have not had an LMT assembled upper, but I'd buy that over CMMG without a doubt.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by krichbaum View Post
    I've had a few issues with CMMG uppers, some just nuisances, some serious functional issues. And yes, they do have extremely soft FSB taper pins, which is a pain in butt as I've experienced it myself.

I have not had an LMT assembled upper, but I'd buy that over CMMG without a doubt.

Specifically, what would those be? Particularly the "serious functional issues"?
    AMERICAN INFIDEL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a CMMG 14.5 w/a Phantom and I have had no problems with it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm in the same boat too. I'm looking for a good value 11.5" upper, and BCM could be a long wait. LMT doesn't make an 11.5".

I'm trying to resist gambling on CMMG. I think this thread is helping me resist the temptation.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Mine has been 100%

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

I just ordered a CMMG from Pete at evilblackrifles.com He sounds very well informed and can likely answer your questions...in addition to offering a significant discount from MSRP.

That said, if money's not an issue, and if LMT offers the model you want, I don't see why you should hesitate getting one.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5POINT56 View Post
    Specifically, what would those be? Particularly the "serious functional issues"?
    Barrel nut clocked wrong resulting in gas tube being angled inside the upper receiver. I've also seen a barrel nut that was barely even torqued, and some of their gas key staking isn't very good. Another issue was the roll pin halfway out of the charging handle. While these things can easily be fixed, in some cases you'll need special tools to do so. If you fix the problems that you sometimes get with their assembled uppers, then you're probably fine. I just don't trust them to be ready to go out of the box.

BTW, for anybody that tries to remove their taper pins: They'll mushroom on the end you hit to remove them, essentially locking them in place. Center punch the pin, then drill into it enough to get below the surface of the FSB (use a drill bit a little smaller than the pin OD). Then use a smaller punch in the hole so the impact force doesn't mushroom the pin above the outer surface of the FSB and prevent removal. You can even reuse the pin in a pinch if you were careful with the drilling.
    Last edited by krichbaum; 01-19-08 at 09:46. Reason: clarification

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast