Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forget the CAR and the GAU, meet the GUU.

Feedback Score

Forget the CAR and the GAU, meet the GUU.

This was at the range today with an Air Force LTC it is a M16 lower, M16-A2 upper, M4 barrel and stock. They call it the Goo, he said the armorer called it Frankenstein.

Attachment 12621

Attachment 12622
    Last edited by Todd00000; 07-31-12 at 12:59.
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score
    The Air Force will not get rid of anything if they can make it last a few days longer. The GUU-5/A, GUU-5-A/A, GUU-5/P are all frankenguns. some had forward assists, some not, some had 14.5", 10" and 11.5" barrels...some not. The AF had and still does have a hard time with small arms. Other than Security Forces, PJ's and Combat Controllers, not too many jobs require rifles...about the same in the Navy. Always liked the look of the GUU series, every one was differant...from the parts, make, armorer, finish (or lack there of)...just cool. If I did a retro, that would be the first one I'd do. Crazy thing is, the weirder and crappier it looks...the more realistic it is.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Oh, that SO needs a set of the ancient triangular CAR handguards on it!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by devinsdad View Post
    The Air Force will not get rid of anything if they can make it last a few days longer. The GUU-5/A, GUU-5-A/A, GUU-5/P are all frankenguns. some had forward assists, some not, some had 14.5", 10" and 11.5" barrels...some not. The AF had and still does have a hard time with small arms. Other than Security Forces, PJ's and Combat Controllers, not too many jobs require rifles...about the same in the Navy. Always liked the look of the GUU series, every one was differant...from the parts, make, armorer, finish (or lack there of)...just cool. If I did a retro, that would be the first one I'd do. Crazy thing is, the weirder and crappier it looks...the more realistic it is.
    That M16 lower is grey, I wonder how old it is?
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score
    If you notice it has an original ar15 marked lower which tells me it's probably one from the original purchase back in the early 60s. We still have a metric ass ton of these lowers with burst triggers and a2 uppers/furniture on them. Until a few years ago many still had hard chromed bolt groups.

Feedback Score
    I never did understand that. Back in Somalia (Blackhawk Down episode), I was amazed that there were so many unarmed Airmen. An AF O-5 stated that AF personnel were not used to carrying a weapon, especially a loaded one.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman1950 View Post
    If you notice it has an original ar15 marked lower which tells me it's probably one from the original purchase back in the early 60s. We still have a metric ass ton of these lowers with burst triggers and a2 uppers/furniture on them. Until a few years ago many still had hard chromed bolt groups.
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerinTPA View Post
    I never did understand that. Back in Somalia (Blackhawk Down episode), I was amazed that there were so many unarmed Airmen. An AF O-5 stated that AF personnel were not used to carrying a weapon, especially a loaded one.
    Ironic since it was General LeMay that got us the AR.

Feedback Score
    He also brought us the KC135 and B-52 both of which are still in service. One of the great forward thinking, ass kicking generals. Sadly, men like him would never make it that far in todays Air Force.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    .....The AF had and still does have a hard time with small arms.....
    They got ICBMs! Whata they need mouse guns for?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd00000 View Post
    ....Ironic since it was General LeMay that got us the AR.
    And the Army got us the revolutionary M14!
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 06-26-12 at 18:47.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerinTPA View Post
    Some parts of the AF continue to spaz at Bagram, where the Army 2-button running the show insists all personnel be armed at all times.

It's much better now that it was 5-6 years ago, when you still had Squadron and Group Commanders trying to buck the order and not trusting their personnel to be able to safely carry firearms full time.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast