Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAR: Redback One 3 Day Home Defense 4-6 OCT

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

AAR: Redback One 3 Day Home Defense 4-6 OCT

Class: RedbackOne 3 Day Home Defense
    Date: Oct 4-6 2012

Before I start... I was hoping that someone else would do this AAR since it is a bit overwhelming. There was so much information and curriculum covered, I can only hope to do it justice. We went from 8AM to 10PM on days one and two, and worked from 8AM-5PM on day three. Redback One doesn't mess around - they are willing to put in the hours to make sure their students get everything they need. Surefire suppressors and muzzle devices were issued to each student so that we could continue with live fire in the evenings. Safety was the top priority for the Redback One instructors, and they did a great job of slowing down the class when we got too fast and too excited. They also held us to a high standard, and made us run a couple hundred yards whenever you missed a shot.

Jason Falla and Muz did a great job with this course, and I hope to attend more like it in the near future.

The topics covered over the 3 days of training included:
    -Personal Protection as an individual and as a 2 man team
    -Types of entry and clearing of a room as an individual and as a pair
    -Criminal mindset and statistics
    -Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC) topics, use of tourniquets, hemostatic agents, bandages, making field expedient tourniquets, and aid bag contents.
    -Negotiating hallways, stairs, and intersections.
    -Approaching structures, negotiating windows and doorways.
    -Force on force assessment/scenarios with role players.

On day one, the class went through a quick shoot on the flat range for Jason and Muz to assess our weapon manipulation skills. This class covered some complex topics, and there was no time to build the basics. My advice is to come prepared. The class was split into two groups, and one group stayed on the flat range to work protective security detail type drills while the other group went into the shoothouse with Muz to work on single man room entries. Outside, Jason taught us that we need to assess potential threats early, how to place your body in the right positions to protect your loved ones, how to draw your weapon and shield your subject, and how to decisively maneuver and move them to safety. Inside the shoothouse, Muz taught his students how to pie, enter, and clear rooms as an individual. We covered inward and outward opening doors, and corner-fed and center-fed rooms. In both areas, Jason and Muz took us through several iterations dry before culminating in the live fire portions.

After lunch, we were all in the shoothouse to continue working on movement, entry, and clearing center and corner-fed rooms as an individual. This time we covered open doors and multiple rooms. After some dry fire runs, we ended with a live fire run with either Jason or Muz trailing us and giving us individual feedback. The training day ended with a lecture on criminal behavior, mindset, and various crime statistics.

Day two focused on the same protective service drills and shoothouse skills, but this time as a two man team. It was excellent to utilize the skills we learned the day before and incorporate them with team communication and movement. The shoothouse portions in particular were eye opening. As an individual, you sacrifice a certain amount of security to get the job done. We quickly learned that as a pair, you get much more security, but now there are de-confliction issues and elements of coordination that complicate things quickly. After many dry runs, Jason gathered us up and asked "Now, who thinks this stuff is easy?" No one raised his hand. We ended the shoothouse session with a live fire iteration of multiple room clearing with a partner. It was intense to say the least. The evening was concluded with a session on the flat range where the students learned a hard lesson - you have to be able to load, reload, and fix malfunctions in the dark! Jason and Muz gave us a few pointers and we retired back to our hotels.

The last day was spent with lessons on pre-hospital medical care, aid bag preparation, and use of the tourniquet. Around lunchtime, we geared up for our simunition scenarios and were issued a sim upper for our ARs. Each student ran through a scenario in the shoothouse where multiple home invaders were in your childrens' rooms. Outside, students went through a scenario where they had to protect their "wife" in a crowded shopping mall. Everyone learned about how they'll perform "on the day."

Outstanding course, outstanding curriculum, outstanding instructors, and an outstanding facility and support staff. Jason and Muz don't mess around.

Can anyone else out there tell me what I missed?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Below are some of the pics from the course broken down by Jason.

The rest can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3173768&type=1
    Last edited by C45P312; 10-10-12 at 23:28.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Great photos!
    Last edited by JSTICFRALL; 10-09-12 at 17:45.

Feedback Score

Questions Regarding Gear/ Equipment During Our Home Defense/ Personal Protect. Course

RB1 Home Defense and Personal Protection course at G4S ITI.

Redback One issued Crye Precision Cage armor carriers, level IV ICW and ESAPI plates, nylon pouches, weapons and associated equipment as well as issued suppressors and simunition weapons to students who required it.

Our courses include long hours and a significant amount of work by both the instructor cadre and the students. This provides the best opportunity for the students to receive and absorb the large amount of information and knowledge in the subject matter, in the time allotted. This allows them to achieve the proficiencies and competencies required to successfully complete the course.

We train to this high level to provide our students the ability to protect their loved ones and themselves from, but not limited to, home invasions and criminal acts that, if not mitigated would jeopardize or endanger their lives or welfare.

Within any Redback One course, safety at every level is paramount. We will always conduct live fire training in a close quarters environment such as the shoot-house or when conducting body protection drills, wearing relevant personal protection equipment commensurate with the level of training. This is not negotiable and is part of Redback One doctrine and policy.

We are firm believers in the 7-P principles (Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents...)
    It is not unachievable for individuals to put in place drills, equipment, rehearsals, commands and actions on in order for the entire family to react and respond to a home invasion decisively. This may include the availability and positioning of weapons and equipment such as body armor, carbines and shotguns.

We remain flexible and adaptable to the myriad of possibilities that could occur during a home invasion. Alternatively, when outside of the home in the course of normal daily activities, the individual may well be relegated to only carrying a concealed weapon such as a handgun, impact weapon or fixed blade.

Bottom line is for our cadre to develop and deliver curriculum to our students that is based upon skills, knowledge and experience and provides the best protection and defense for families and loved ones. -JF

Big thanks to Vic Anti of Prairiefire for the amazing photos he took during this course. Also, thanks to Carlo as always for his awesome photos. The pics came out great! -G&JF

**If you choose to share or use photos, DO NOT REMOVE WATERMARK

Copyright Prairiefire and Spartan Village 2012. All Rights Reserved. Authorized use to Redback One.

Non-watermark photos by Carlo Galinato.

Feedback Score
    Personal Protection Module

Feedback Score
    Internal - Individual Defensive Movement Techniques (IDMT) & Internal - Team Defensive Movement Techniques (Two Man).

Feedback Score
    Aid Bags, IFAKS, TCCC, Care Under Fire, Self Aid, Buddy Aid, Hemorrhage Control, TQ's, Hemostatic Agents, Pressure Bandages, Penetrating Chest Trauma, Chest Seals, Needle Decompression, Basic and Advanced Airway Management.

Feedback Score
    Force on Force Scenario Training using Simunition FX

Feedback Score
    RB1 Cadre

Thanks to everyone that attended for making this a successful course. See you on the next one!

Feedback Score

AAR from Jeremy Z.

I was asked to post this by one of our students, Jeremy who attended the course as he's not a member. There's some great feedback here for those of you interested.

Jeremy's AAR on our 3-Day Home Defense/ Personal Protection course:

Let me start by saying this is my fourth course with Redback One Combat Training Systems. I like most shooters who attend professional training are quite amped up prior to a course. I was very excited going into this course, and yet again Redback One exceeded all expectations. From start to finish, it was a very well thought out and organized curriculum. With two instructors, they were not only able to have very good student to instructor ratio, but they were also able to run two small groups through different blocks on instruction simultaneously. That provided the students more repetitions on each drill with more instructor feedback allowing the information to sink in, and let me tell you there was a lot of information passed along in the three days time.

At the time of this writing, it is almost a week after the course and I am still decompressing and processing information. It is a testament to the depth of the knowledge and experience of the cadre at Redback One. I found the lessons provided the student food for thought in not just one aspect but many. Completion of a drill(or not) would give you instant feedback on whether or not your marksmanship fundamentals were in check, your equipment is set up in a manner that is conducive to reality and not just something that looks cool. You could tell the drills were thought out and not just added to give you an impressively high round count to talk about with your friends later.

I purchased ammo through Redback One Before my arrival to the tune of 1000 rounds of 5.56 for my carbine, and 500 rounds of 9mm for my pistol. Coming from Alaska that made my life easier not having to ship it or arrive early to purchase it locally. Upon completion of the live fire period of instruction I had only fired 200 rounds through the carbine and 100 through the pistol. What this did for us as students was gave significantly more time in the shoot house and more time working on personal protection fundamentals. I was pleased with that because you can bang away on a square range any day by yourself. It is not every day you can be under the direct tutelage of not just one but two top tier combat veterans and instructors explaining the finer points of what can only be described as an art.

Now because I had to fly back home Jason also purchased back the ammunition I had not used during the course, which was very helpful considering the rules on flying with ammo and the cost of shipping it. Redback One was very accommodating throughout the entire process of this course whether it was questions about anything prior to, logistical considerations (ammo, hotel info etc.).

To extrapolate on the accommodating nature of their organization anyone who needed it was issued Crye Cage Armor systems with soft and hard armor, carbines and pistols were available for issue as well.

To top it off Redback One had their in house gunsmith replace everyone’s muzzle devices with surefire flash suppressors so that between 1700 and 2200 we could utilize the surefire sound suppressors that they issued as well! Talk about a bonus! As if I could not get any better, they issued simunition weapons and p.p.e. to each student for the entirety of day three. They essentially made it possible for a student to attend the training with only the clothes on their backs!

On another note there were not one but two photographers taking pictures throughout the training. Even with the policy of not taking pictures or video on your own in place, there was plenty of coverage if you chose to opt into it on the waiver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast