Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Charlotte Observer Caught Fabricating Sources in Gun Control Story

Feedback Score

Charlotte Observer Caught Fabricating Sources in Gun Control Story

It looks like I've caught the Chalotte Observer fabricating a source for one of their pro-gun control stories. I stumbled on this article that was mentioned in another thread.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...3storylink=cpy

In it, they quote a supposed local firearms manufacturer, Tactical Arms Manufacturer, Inc, in Huntersville, NC who favors a ban on high capacity magazines. They even go so far to quote the company's VP who alledges that his customers are mainly LE personel.

The problem is, this company does not appear to exist. First, here is their website which appears to be an amateurish shell with no real products.

www.tacticalarmsmfr.com

They only list Huntersville, NC in their contact information and no actual mailing address. In addition, the contact information on the website lists out of state area codes (FL) for this "family owned company." I attempted to call the number and a Hispanic sounding lady answered and hung up the phone telling me that I had the wrong number.

I also tried to find a listing for Ken Rinkor who is the supposed VP. Well, he has no listing in Charlotte, but there is a listing in Orange Park, FL. Things that make you go humm...

Well, I sent this email to the ombudsman at The Observer. Let's see what they have to say for themselves:

Dear Sir:

I'm writing to inform you of inaccuracies in your story, "Gun makers fret as gun control consensus gains steam" that was posted on 12/18/12 and can be found here:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy

In this story, you cite Tactical Arms Manufacturer Inc. in Huntersville, NC as a company that produces assault style weapons, but also favors tougher gun laws. On further review, I am unable to verify the actual existence of this company. First, their website appears to be a shell created by a novice scam artist. In addition, there is no mailing or physical address listed on their website. The provided phone number on their website has a NY area code, and appears to connect to a residence. Finally, I've been in the military and worked around the M4/AR15 series of weapons for over 15 years and I never once heard of this company or their supposed VP, Mr. Ken Rinkor, whose existence also cannot be verified.

Thus, it appears that your writer did not do his due diligence in vetting (or factiously creating) this source. Please contact me or issue a correction for this story that appears to contain false and misleading information.

Sincerely,

XXX
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice catch! Be sure to update this thread when you get a response.

Feedback Score
    That is a FL area code for the (appears to be a wireless) phone number, AND a Massachusetts area code+nxx for the fax line. Interesting indeed...

BBB shows them listed as a NE FL business.
    Last edited by jet66; 12-22-12 at 23:41. Reason: cell phone?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I don't know man, they sell NcStar which I've seen Navy SEALs using first-hand.

Oh and don't worry, their standard features list includes military style sights (which apparently means they can be adjusted in the field) and a rail that maintains the use of metallic sights.
    Last edited by Wake27; 12-23-12 at 02:46.

Feedback Score
    I've already received this email from The Observer editor:

Thanks for sharing your concerns. We'll need to investigate this further.

Ronnie Glassberg
    Front page editor
    The Charlotte Observer

and this email from one of the article's arthors:

I called them on their website number and talked wirh rinkor

Sent from my iPhone
    I plan to compose another email to learn more about how the paper even learned about this "company."
    Last edited by Sensei; 12-23-12 at 06:35.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Is there any way you can check to see of they actually have an FFL?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    ATFs website lists all the FFLs. Its a bitch to weed through though.

Feedback Score
    Per ATF list of FFL holders, as of Jun 2012:
    TACTICAL ARMS MANUFACTURER INC
    XXXX PARK AVE STE XXX ORANGE PARK FL 32073
    XXX BLANDING BLVD XXXX ORANGE PARK FL 32073
    561309XXXX

Source. (May take a few minutes to load text to browser page.)
    Last edited by jet66; 12-23-12 at 07:26. Reason: just in case it's not ok to post all the info, even though it is easily accessible via public records

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Oh this ought to be good.
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Damn! Nice one if this pans out.

I know a lot of people here don't like Glenn Beck but he would probably run with this one and get it a lot more exposure. Which is what it needs.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast