Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady Superformance not recommended in carbines?

Feedback Score

Hornady Superformance not recommended in carbines?

So I"'ve read in three different posts that the Hornady superformance round is not recommended in carbine length gas systems. Can someone explain why? What will happen if I do?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The ammo? Or the Powder?

I won't fire that ammo in any of my guns. I suppose the powder could be made to work with tinkering.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The ammo? Or the Powder?

I won't fire that ammo in any of my guns. I suppose the powder could be made to work with tinkering.
    I'm with mark, to much pressure for my taste. Bang away with your bolt gun but no, no for the ar.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The ammo? Or the Powder?

The ammo. So what could/would happen if I shoot it in my carbine? What about shooting it in a mid length gas system?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The Super Performance uses special power and has a pressure curve that is longer than normal.

The net effect in gas guns will be over gassing.

How much is difficult to say.

This can be dealt with in the usual ways.

http://www.hornady.com/ammunition/su...rated-firearms
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    if you graph the pressure curve, there is more area under it. The peak pressure isn't higher, but the average pressure is higher, meaning it will not adversely affect bolt guns, but result in higher velocity.

In the ar or any gas system, the higher impulse results in higher bolt carrier velocity. This will beat up the gun and may cause extraction issues, especially in a carbine. I have a 14.5" midlength that will not reliably cycle tula with an h2 buffer. I would imagine superperformance would cycle okay in such a gun. Heavier buffers will help.

I don't have experience with superperformance, just explaining the science and application of it. Id be interested to hear details of any issues users experienced.

Feedback Score
    I might have to play with some of this in my AR that has an adjustable gas block, I imagine that would probably work to dial in the gas system with the higher port pressure.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have a friend at Hornady who I spoke with about this. It was in reference to their 5.56 55gr. GMX Superformance load. I had assumed that with the 5.56 designation it would only make sense that it could be safely used in a carbine. He says......nope, it'll pop primers.

I did shoot some in a BCM 16" mid length and it operated no differently than IMI M193, with no signs of high pressure. Velocity, however, was unspectacular.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by highxj View Post
    I have a friend at Hornady who I spoke with about this. It was in reference to their 5.56 55gr. GMX Superformance load. I had assumed that with the 5.56 designation it would only make sense that it could be safely used in a carbine. He says......nope, it'll pop primers.

I did shoot some in a BCM 16" mid length and it operated no differently than IMI M193, with no signs of high pressure. Velocity, however, was unspectacular.
    Gene from LMT advised me against this in my rifle , he said they tested it and it was not safe for their guns.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    Gene from LMT advised me against this in my rifle , he said they tested it and it was not safe for their guns.
    Why would LMT waste their time and money "testing" ammunition that was designed to be used in rifles and carbines that they don't even make?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast