Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt Lug Tolerance/Spec

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Bolt Lug Tolerance/Spec

What is the length and tolerance of that length, of said bolt-lug? I have a bolt that is "sticky" when I administratively clear the weapon (requires a weak mortar or a good YANK! on the CH).

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    What is the length and tolerance of that length, of said bolt-lug? I have a bolt that is "sticky" when I administratively clear the weapon (requires a weak mortar or a good YANK! on the CH).
    More likely an ammo or barrel/headspace issue... assuming the bolt is a known/good brand.

Is it factory loaded ammo?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    More likely an ammo or barrel/headspace issue... assuming the bolt is a known/good brand.

Is it factory loaded ammo?
    -Speer LE Gold Dot 64gr.
    -Neither the Daniel Defense Bolt nor the Noveske bolt, in their respective guns, have this issue. This bolt does in both.
    -The bolt lugs measured around 0.280" in length with my calipers. I need to measure the Noveske/DD bolts, but did not. I do not wish to discuss where the bolt came from at this time.
    Last edited by WS6; 07-16-13 at 08:26.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    -Speer LE Gold Dot 64gr.
    -Neither the Daniel Defense Bolt nor the Noveske bolt, in their respective guns, have this issue. This bolt does in both.
    -The bolt lugs measured around 0.280" in length with my calipers. I need to measure the Noveske/DD bolts, but did not. I do not wish to discuss where the bolt came from at this time.
    Try the DD or NOV bolt in the problem gun.

Doesn't seem like the ammo... that's good stuff.
    Last edited by markm; 07-16-13 at 08:40.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I had one recently where the extension was slightly misaligned and had issues with certain bolts that wouldn't go into battery. I tested three bolts and only one would go into battery smoothly. That one also had the thinnest lugs, measured at 0.100". The other two had slightly larger lugs, with one feeling sticky going into and out of battery and the third would not go in at all. The one that would not go into battery was NiB coated and measured 0.103". That bolt inserted fine into other uppers. However, the additional bolt lug width combined with a slightly misaligned extension, was a no-go.

I say all that just to point out that it could be the lug length, width or extension alignment (less likely). Do you have any other bolts that you can test in that upper and then compare dimensions with your problem bolt?
    Last edited by mtdawg169; 07-16-13 at 08:48.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Try the DD or NOV bolt in the problem gun.

Doesn't seem like the ammo... that's good stuff.
    They are all problem guns. Both of them (dd and noveske) get sticky when this bolt is used.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    I had one recently where the extension was slightly misaligned and had issues with certain bolts that wouldn't go into battery. I tested three bolts and only one would go into battery smoothly. That one also had the thinnest lugs, measured at 0.100". The other two had slightly larger lugs, with one feeling sticky going into and out of battery and the third would not go in at all. The one that would not go into battery was NiB coated and measured 0.103". That bolt inserted fine into other uppers. However, the additional bolt lug width combined with a slightly misaligned extension, was a no-go.

I say all that just to point out that it could be the lug length, width or extension alignment (less likely). Do you have any other bolts that you can test in that upper and then compare dimensions with your problem bolt?
    Lugs miced 0.98"
    Both are complete guns from dd and noveske. Neither have issues with multiple other bcg. I mainly want to know what this bolt should*** measure, and how much leeway spec allows. I'll measure the dd bolt when I get home.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Re: Bolt Lug Tolerance/Spec

Lugs miced 0.98"
    Both are complete guns from dd and noveske. Neither have issues with multiple other bcg. I mainly want to know what this bolt should*** measure, and how much leeway spec allows. I'll measure the dd bolt when I get home.
    So the problem bolt lugs measured 0.098 x 0.280"?

I've got a couple of low round count BCM bolts at home. I'll try to measure them tonight for you. I'm not sure what the specs are, but maybe we can establish an estimate for you.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    So the problem bolt lugs measured 0.098 x 0.280"?

I've got a couple of low round count BCM bolts at home. I'll try to measure them tonight for you. I'm not sure what the specs are, but maybe we can establish an estimate for you.
    Correct, and thanks!

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    In the past 2 weeks I've never heard of so many headspace and tight lug issues on AR15's. It's everywhere and enough that its strange.

The one common theme is a no-name (claimed to to mil-spec) obviously not mil spec bolt. Just an observation.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast