Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HK P30 ???

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

HK P30 ???

Just wondering if anyone can provide comment (good or bad) on this one.

Happen to spot one when I had stopped to pick-up some ammo. Casually asked for a lookie, and felt pretty damn good. Fit my hand actually better than the M&P9 I owned for awhile, which tended to squirm a bit for me, I think because of the rather narrow frontstrap. The HK P30 has a broader frontstrap along with finger grooves, which I'm one of those people that actually like if they are not too deep or narrow (the P30's felt perfect). Like the M&P series, backstraps are interchangeable, but for the P30 the side panels are as well. Would all this accommodation allow me to finally improve on the less-than-perfect fit my current Glock 19 provides?

Donwsides? The USP-ish slide is bulkier than I'm used to, but maybe I'd get used to that. Likewise, the DA-to-SA transition would definitely take some getting used to, but I can see there being an advantage with that feature for a self-defense piece. Never had a gun with the lever-type mag release, so not sure on that. Likewise, the decocker is a button on the back end of the slide -- never even seen that before. Last but not least, the price tag is typical HK hefty.

I am so far utterly ignorant on much else: handling, reliability, longevity/ruggedness, replacement-sight options, etc. Anybody got anything to add from a owned-one/shot-one perspective? Would appreciate any edification -- thanks.

Oh, and here are some pics I borrowed off the HK web site. I think it's a fairly nice looking piece, if that matters.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Shooting is expensive. You'll spend thousands of dollars on ammo, hundreds on match fees, perhaps several hundred more on training, then even more on accessories. The gun is usually the cheapest part of the whole shooting equation. If you don't shoot alot, then sure, the gun is expensive. But then again HK weapons are not made for the guy who throws down a box of ammo a month.

I had the chance to fondle one and I liked it. I posted a review of the similar HK45 on here somewhere, so check that out for my opinions. If it's as reliable as the larger HK45, then you'll have no worries.

Feedback Score
    Larry Vickers was pretty high on P30s when we were discussing 9mm service gun choices earlier this year. I consider his recommendations very reliable.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The two friends of mine who own P30's think very highly of them. Both are also outstanding shooters.

I would not hesitate to buy one and probably will at some point down the road.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

ToddG Guest
    If I were to go back to shooting a TDA ("DA/SA") gun, the P30 would probably be my first choice. The triggers are mediocre and the mag catch is not as ergonomic in my opinion as a traditional reversible button, but the guns are accurate and reliable. I, too, was concerned about the decocker location but after shooting one a bit it's a perfectly functional location.

Find someone doing a decent action job, find some night sights, and it's a wholly acceptable sidearm.

Feedback Score
    I had one issue that resulted in my selling the P30. If you use a thumbs forward grip, your shooting thumb may ride the slide release putting just enough pressure to prohibit it from locking the slide back on an empty mag.

I chose not to alter my grip for one handgun. I've been shooting like this for years and didn't want to re-train and change muscle memory. I've read that there are others who have this issue. We're probably the exception rather than the rule.

Trigger reset is rather long.

Feedback Score
    If I ever go back to the private security sector or decide I need a 9mm that will be the one and I do not like 9s

Feedback Score
    I'm in the same boat as you. I finger raped a P30 awhile back and I was really impressed. It's a little pricier than I like, but I'd still like to get one in the future.
    The luxury of freedom was not free.

Feedback Score
    I have been running a P30 for a few months now and have been very impressed with the results. My only legitimate complaint is that trigger reset is long and sloppy compared to other pistols.

Prior to my P30 I had been running P2000s in V3 and V2 (LEM) with great success. I have never experienced a malfunction in any of them despite thousands of rounds, deliberately not lubing them, and generally trying to get them to hiccup. No luck, just stone cold reliable.

Accuracy in my P30 has been exceptional. And although the DA trigger stroke was rather stiff when new it has slicked up very nicely and compares favorably if not better than the well broken in DA triggers on my P220-series SIGs. It is good and I'm not a fan of lightening mainsprings.

The P30 is becoming one of my favorite nines. Although, my P2000 in LEM holds the throne right now.

There is simply no mag release system faster or more secure than HK's paddle. It must be used to be appreciated and works best with the trigger finger.

Tim

Feedback Score
    A quote from LAV:

The HK P30 is the Mercedes of mid-sized service pistols. You will not be limited by its performance.
    I purchased one recently. Only several hundred rounds through it, so I can't comment on reliability at this point. However, as WD pointed out above, Larry is very complimentary of both the reliability and accuracy of the gun. That endorsement covers the reliability issue for me.

I am switching from a G19. I am holding noticeably tighter groups inside 25-yds with the P30 compared to the G19. For me, it is a much more comfortable gun to handle. I have small hands, so I am using the small backstrap and side panels. Even though the grip is slightly longer than the G19, I find that it conceals quite well for me because it is relatively slim. The DA/SA takes a bit of getting used to, but I am adapting quickly. I am a lefty, and find the paddle mag release to be extremely fast. In addition, I find that the mags drop free much more quickly than my drop-free G19 mags. Like the M&P, the P30 also has an ambi slide stop. However, it is much more substantial than that on the M&P. This has made my slide-lock reloads much faster, as I can operate the slide release the same way right-handers take for granted - no need to come over top and rack the slide. I have had no problems riding the slide stop. My support thumb sits nearly on the pivot point, so it just doesn't have enough leverage at that point to prevent the slide from locking.

Drawbacks: The sights. I'll replace the factory sights with a decent set of night sights when available. Also, mags are roughly twice as expensive as Glock mags. I paid $31 each recently. That said, the mags are not as cramped as G19 mags. I can stuff 15 rounds in the mags and still have a little bit of play in the springs. I have to work hard to get 15 in my G19 mags, so I download them to 14. No need for this with the P30. If you carry IWB-appendix, holster availability is an issue at this point. While some makers advertise an "appendix" holster for the P30, I don't find them to be well designed for that mode of carry. If you carry at 4 o'clock (8 o'clock for lefties), there are a number of IWB holsters available. Comp-Tac makes several IWB models for the P30. Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast