Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New AWB?

Feedback Score

New AWB?

OK, rather than continue to sidetrack the CD AR thread, I thought I'd start this one.

Some comments were made about CD not wanting to spread themselves out too far (a 7.62 version of their AR) because of the unknowns coming up this fall. I can appreciate that. However, why does everyone who's concerned about another AWB actually believe there will be a grandfather clause?

It was also presented that, in light of a positive pro-gun outcome on Heller, that other statutes might not be revisited because there wasn't any organization with deep pockets enough to assist in the fight. I could have sworn that is exactly what the NRA-ILA was created to do. If the NRA will not help in this battle, then why should I join or maintain my membership?
    Just one of the Shepherd's sheepdogs. Joshua 24:15

Feedback Score
    Who knows what will come with another AWB if there is one. The gun industry is a lot bigger now than back in 1994, there are more gun owners, and in the age of information politicians know they will be outed quick fast for supporting any such bills.

Granted, the left will try to push bans where they can, but generally speaking its going to be hard work to get any bans passed these days...
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    If only one of us had a crystal ball...

IMHO, a worst case is that the Heller case is decided in such a way that it allows all of those "reasonable" restrictions to stand. And, new ones to be passed.

My nightmare is that it's found to be "reasonable" to restrict us all to 5 shot revolvers!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DM-SC View Post
    If only one of us had a crystal ball...

IMHO, a worst case is that the Heller case is decided in such a way that it allows all of those "reasonable" restrictions to stand. And, new ones to be passed.

My nightmare is that it's found to be "reasonable" to restrict us all to 5 shot revolvers!
    Well at the very least we can expect that prohibition will not be regarded as reasonable, which it is now in many places.

This opens the doors to many challenges to laws on the books.

Feedback Score
    In all likelyhood Obama will win in November and the anti-gun crowd will make a push for a more draconian AWB. It is doubtful that it gets anywhere because even the biggest anti-gunners want to keep their jobs and the lesson from 1994 is that there is hell to pay when you cross gun owners. I don't think the Democrats are willing to trade an assault weapons ban for control of the House and Senate. They tried that once and didn't like the taste. The nice thing for them is that it is an issue that they can scream about while pandering to their base but there is no real pressure to get anything done.

I suppose that there is a remote chance that the crazies will win the day and the bill would include confiscation, but I am fairly sure that it would not pass Constitutional muster considering the current makeup of the Supreme Court.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If the bill does include confiscation, someone still has to go out and confiscate the guns. Since most police and military are gun owners, it will become difficult to enforce almost to the point of treason.

I know I won't give up mine, and won't take from others. Hopefully we can use our own judgement and do the 'right' thing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by telecustom View Post
    If the bill does include confiscation, someone still has to go out and confiscate the guns. Since most police and military are gun owners, it will become difficult to enforce almost to the point of treason.

I know I won't give up mine, and won't take from others. Hopefully we can use our own judgement and do the 'right' thing.
    There is no shortage of JBT's frothing at the chance to get into confrontations.

And even the non-JBT's, the normal guys, if it comes down to their paycheck and their family being fed, or you owning an AR15 bet your ass your collection is going to get thinned by force...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rubberneck View Post
    In all likelyhood Obama will win in November...
    I'd say this is far from a foregone conclusion. It's at worst 50/50 nationally right now and if you look at the polls state by state McCain is leading or is well within the MOE in more than enough states to win the EC and at this point in a year where the GOP should get killed nationally that is very very positive. Of course anything can happen and all of the disgruntled blue-collar/blue-dog Dems could suddenly decide to vote for the hard core, smooth talking leftist and all of the obstinent "conservatives" could decide to stay home and cede their country to the looney leftist libs but I don't see enough of either of those groups doing that.

McCain has a realistic chance to win the general, and most of the dems that are winning repub seats are acting (or at least talking) like conservatives thus I don't forsee enough votes for anything close to the old AWB. Now you may see bills that close the "gun show loophole" or add other PITA hurdles to firearm ownership/purchasing but I'm fairly confident that the moderate dems have learned that the easy way for them to lose their next election is to support a gun ban.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    And even the non-JBT's, the normal guys, if it comes down to their paycheck and their family being fed, or you owning an AR15 bet your ass your collection is going to get thinned by force...
    That statement injects a large dose of reality into this discussion. And if we think the Marxists don't know it, then we are being very naive.

Right now, the only thing between us and them is the Heller case going our way and a willingness on the part of gun organizations to bring suits in hopes to dismantle the current set of statutes on the books.

If Heller goes our way and we persist in attacking the other laws, then the Marxists will have as difficult a time at passing an AWB as social conservatives have at passing anti-abortion laws.
    Just one of the Shepherd's sheepdogs. Joshua 24:15

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rmecapn View Post
    OK, rather than continue to sidetrack the CD AR thread, I thought I'd start this one.

Some comments were made about CD not wanting to spread themselves out too far (a 7.62 version of their AR) because of the unknowns coming up this fall. I can appreciate that. However, why does everyone who's concerned about another AWB actually believe there will be a grandfather clause?

It was also presented that, in light of a positive pro-gun outcome on Heller, that other statutes might not be revisited because there wasn't any organization with deep pockets enough to assist in the fight. I could have sworn that is exactly what the NRA-ILA was created to do. If the NRA will not help in this battle, then why should I join or maintain my membership?

rmecapn, don't give up your membership in the NRA just yet. They are doing a great job but they are stretched terribly thin as they fight the battle on a national level and locally in all 50 states. Heller had an "angel" and succesful court challenges are always going to need more than the NRA can provide, so please, contribute as much and as often as you can. There are angels out there, their pockets are just not as deep as the George Soros's of the world who think civilian gun ownership should be relegated to the dustbin of history.

And to those of you that think confiscation is problematic in its execution, just imagine 4 or 5 nights of stories on the evening news showing SWAT teams going door to door seizing guns and arresting "non-compliars". Sure, maybe some pokets of resistance will surface in places like Utah and Idaho, but the meek masses will be standing in line to surrender their guns, rather than greet the SWAT team at their door.

I used to believe that "it can't happen here". But I used to say that about Australia too. I am not preaching doom and gloom, but I'm no longer so naive as to believe that we in the USA are immune from such possiblities. A few more VT's and a Columbine or two and watch your 2A be "reasonably" limited to bolt action centerfire rifles (no magnum sniper rifles of course) and single shot or over & under shotguns.

Just my .02.
    Last edited by Charles Daly; 05-28-08 at 16:18.
    Michael Kassnar
    President, K.B.I., Inc.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast