Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Steyr AUG fans here?

Feedback Score

Any Steyr AUG fans here?

My '89 Steyr AUG A1 16" with M16 NATO/ AR-15 mag conversion stock kit

Pic before the conversion

There are two US companies that are going to be selling AUG clones soon but It's not clear if they are going to offer A1, A2, A3 or civi models.
    YMMV

AR-15 SP1 owner since 1971
    NRA and CRPA life member

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I was a huge fan until I actually got to shoot a few....the triggers on the standard model were just bad, bad.

I've heard that there's now a fix out there for the trigger, and if there is, I'd like to try it.

"Bad" trigger or not, I'd still love to have an AUG the way yours is set up!

Who's going to be bringing out the US AUG's? DSA?

Spill it!!!
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar
    I was a huge fan until I actually got to shoot a few....the triggers on the standard model were just bad, bad.

I've heard that there's now a fix out there for the trigger, and if there is, I'd like to try it.

"Bad" trigger or not, I'd still love to have an AUG the way yours is set up!

Who's going to be bringing out the US AUG's? DSA?

Spill it!!!
    The Trigger Tamer is available to fix the heavy triggers and it's either self installed or already installed in the trigger module.

http://www.triggertamer.com/

The nice thing about my setup is I could just grab my three ARs and the AUG, they all have the same mags.

They're using enough US made parts to comply with the import ban, the rest of the parts are still made by Steyr.

The two US makers are not DSA or any large company, they are small companies and the one in Oregon should have theirs ready either by the end of this year or early next year.
    YMMV

NRA and CRPA life member

Feedback Score
    TROS?

Feedback Score
    The mfg in Oregon is Tactical Product Design T.P.D. (new website under construction).

Established in 2002 to manufacture AUG parts and complete rifles.

After years of promises form Australian Defence Industries (ADI) they have moved forward with their own barrels and soon, first article AUG recievers.

They're not involved in anything other than the AUG type rifle at this time, located in Beaverton, Oregon, 07, 08, SOT.

Current T.P.D. AUG project status:

US compliant AUG foregrip - Done
    Gas piston - Done
    Barrel - Done
    Gas block - First pull phase
    Gas reg springs - Done
    Gas regulator - In production
    Trigger - On the way
    Disconnector - In production
    Mag body, floor plate
    Follower, US M16 - Any

Get your wallets ready, the guesstimate price is about $1,758 and they will be available from Pete of PJA Investments Co., which is my and most of the AUG owners parts supplier.

The other US company will be available much later than T.P.D. and Steyr is currently looking in the US to setup their factory which could take several years.
    YMMV

NRA and CRPA life member

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the Info.

Feedback Score
    Truth be know (and I shouldn't even say this on "M4") my absolute favorite urban police rifle is the AUG. You can deal with most of the supposed "issues" with training. You get used to the trigger (in the last class I was in, I beat all the AR's and my shot to shot times were faster than all the AR's/M16's). I have found the AUGs to actually work far better in actually carrying and using than in shooting or training drills. I also carried an AUG extensively in the aviation environment where it excelled as well.

I limit my carry now due to the cost of my AUG's and the price and availability of parts. If this gets rectified with U.S. mfg., then I am excited.
    "Cpl ##### is condescending and abrassive towards coworks who don't follow directions" my favorite evaluation quote........if I'm like that at work, you should see me on the internet .

"Even if I order you to trim your mustache, you're going to totally ignore me, huh".-another favorite supervisor "discussion".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti
    Truth be know (and I shouldn't even say this on "M4") my absolute favorite urban police rifle is the AUG. You can deal with most of the supposed "issues" with training. You get used to the trigger (in the last class I was in, I beat all the AR's and my shot to shot times were faster than all the AR's/M16's). I have found the AUGs to actually work far better in actually carrying and using than in shooting or training drills. I also carried an AUG extensively in the aviation environment where it excelled as well.

I limit my carry now due to the cost of my AUG's and the price and availability of parts. If this gets rectified with U.S. mfg., then I am excited.
    Same thing with my AUG, I had it so long that I'm used to it's bad trigger, I might try the Trigger Tamer next time.

When I first got mine back then it shot better than my A2 carbine and rifle because of it's optic and vertical front grip.

I could usually make a plastic bottle go uphill when I'm consistently shooting it with my AUG, it was harder to do that with my A2 ARs but now that ARs have caught up with picatinny rails, optics and vertical front grip the AUG lost it's first advantages, except it's still great in cold weather because of it's piston gas system.

I also try to limit the use of my AUG because of limited parts but with better parts availability in the near future I could shoot it more often again.

Tactical Product Design also stated that they will be making a 6.8mm SPC AUG model after they are done with the 5.56mm model.
    YMMV

NRA and CRPA life member

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I would love to have one and look forward to seeing them made in the US. Please invite T.D.P. to come to this forum and share any info they have.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AR-15A3
    The mfg in Oregon is Tactical Product Design T.P.D. (new website under construction).

Established in 2002 to manufacture AUG parts and complete rifles.

After years of promises form Australian Defence Industries (ADI) they have moved forward with their own barrels and soon, first article AUG recievers.

They're not involved in anything other than the AUG type rifle at this time, located in Beaverton, Oregon, 07, 08, SOT.

Current T.P.D. AUG project status:

US compliant AUG foregrip - Done
    Gas piston - Done
    Barrel - Done
    Gas block - First pull phase
    Gas reg springs - Done
    Gas regulator - In production
    Trigger - On the way
    Disconnector - In production
    Mag body, floor plate
    Follower, US M16 - Any

Get your wallets ready, the guesstimate price is about $1,758 and they will be available from Pete of PJA Investments Co., which is my and most of the AUG owners parts supplier.

The other US company will be available much later than T.P.D. and Steyr is currently looking in the US to setup their factory which could take several years.
    Hello M4Carbine.net!

TPDSOT here, nice to see some interest in the US AUG. We are looking forward to our product market insertion in the next month or so. As we will be supplying compliance parts listed above initially, no complete AUG's quite yet.

We have a parntership emerging that may facilitate a complete US AUG early next year. Having said that we have been promised alot over the years and none to date have been able to deliver. This is why TPD has taken the lead in providing the compliance parts for those of you with receivers already in hand.

Letters from ATFE confirm compliance and we are very excited to provide a product long over due here in the US, an affordable AUG.

We also believe we can deliver a product as good or better due to our attention to detail and much lower production numbers. We will ultimately be using foreign parts to supplement our product line.

I personally have to say that this has been quite an under taking even more stressful and frot with pitfalls I didn't even imagine, but nonetheless we are very close!

Look forward to talking with the members of M4Carbine in the coming weeks

Cordially,

Kent Luttrell
    Managing Partner/Designer
    TPD 07, 08, SOT

PS I will add that price and distributor may change at a moments notice. Price will be determined when all the nuts are counted.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast