Thread: "Torture Test" - Bushnell Trophy MP 1x32 GEN I.

Feedback Score

"Torture Test" - Bushnell Trophy MP 1x32 GEN I.

I've been hearing a lot of bitching about the quality of a scope/sighting system that is below the price point of $500-$1500 dollars. I've been using a Bushnell MP Trophy for almost two years, and just recently procured the 2nd Generation unit to replace my first. No outstanding differences in operation, other than a built-in iron sight, and a better fit and finish.

After reading this thread, there should be no excuse for ANYONE to even think about getting a "Clonepoint" Chicom knockoff optic. The price point is too similar, and I can absolutely guarantee you will not get satisfactory performance from those optics. My primary motivation was to provide further proof that real RDS can be procured for only a modest difference in price than the toy optics strapped together with electrical tape, and lead based matte finishes. Unlike the bogus sights, everyone's pimping for the budget-conscious, this will perform on anything up to a 12ga Hammer of God. I've read the thread on TOS on bogus optics, and it's patently shameful anyone can believe an $80 bogus Aimpoint should be bolted to their favourite blaster, especially considering reputable companies are making something that actually CAN perform on your weapon.

It has multiple brightness settings for variances in ambient lighting conditions. The reticle(s) consist of a "T" that are three disconnected lines intersecting at a central dot.

Bushnell Trophy 1x32 GEN I

Bushnell Trophy 1x32 GEN II

GEN II - Mounted to M4

Features of the BTMP RDS:

Multi-coated optics: Creates better contrast

100% waterproof: Proven below in my torture test

Dry-nitrogen filled: Eliminates fog

CR2032 battery: Has about a 100-125 hour battery life

Finish: Matte
    Eye Relief: Unlimited
    Magnification: 1x
    Objective Lens Diameter: 32mm
    Field of View @ 1000 Yards: 44 ft.
    Exit Pupil: 32mm
    Reticle: Red/Green T-dot
    Length (in): 6.75 inches
    Weight (oz): 12.3 oz.

Differences between the 1st and 2nd Generation versions include:

A completely different housing.
    Windage and Elevation knobs have changed, but the inner workings have not.
    Generation II feels a bit more rugged, and has slightly more heft
    Generation II has a threaded area inside the lens hood, possibly to accomodate a KillFlash/ARD
    Generation II is a uniquely styled optic / Generation I is very close in appearance to a Trijicon ACOG TA01LAW
    Generation II can cowitness out of the box with most flip-up irons / Generation I *may* need a riser

The Torture Test

Below is a photo of the Aiming "T" reticle, pre-testing. Prior to testing, the RDS had been mounted on a Bushmaster Carbon-15 Pistol, which kicks like a mule, and has no stock or foregrip to reduce recoil, further burdening this optic. 720 cartridges were expelled, no problems with RDS. Optic never lost zero, and no loctite was used in the mounting process.

Water: Many manufacturers idea of "waterproof" means water can be spilled on a unit, with very little adverse effect. While not soaked in a brine solution, or at extreme depths, unit was switched on, and placed under running water for 15 minutes. After showing no performance drop, unit was submerged in approximately 8" of water for 2 hours. Reticle lost no brightness, unit suffered no ill effects.

Cold: Following my "Rule of Two", after assessing the unit post submersion, I placed the unit in the freezer for two hours. Fogging occurred, but after settling to room temperature, and thawing occurred, reticle appeared normal / scope functioned properly.

Drop: No video, but testimony. Dropped unit from a height of approximately 4', ten consecutive times, onto concrete pavement.

Below is the unit, after "Torture Test":

I will promptly be mounting the GEN II to the M4 pictured with Loctite. Considering all the hubris about Chicom optics, the same people seeking those out could afford to procure a quality scope, such as the BTMP, for around $200, and it can actually perform, without being held together with electrical tape...
    Last edited by IroquoisSnakePlissken; 09-12-08 at 12:46. Reason: updating

Feedback Score
    ISP,
    Glad the Bushnell is working out for you--Im a big fan of their 3200 & 4200 line of optics so Im not surprised your getting good results with your red-dot...I just wish they didnt try and make it look like an ACOG!

Ive done sim things to both the Millett Z/Dot and also the Pride & Fowler 33mm red-dot and both passed w/perverbial "flying colors". I even froze both optics in a pale of water over the winter out on my deck ( no pix unfortunatly ) Im not sure Id do the same w/my EOTech as its on the house gun but who knows.

Did you get my PM?

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Interesting read. I agree with LettersFromEarth - it's almost insulting to Trijicon that Bushnell is trying to make that look like an ACOG, obviously for a selling point. And what's more, I'd say 85% of the people on the range, without close examination, will think it's a real ACOG lol, as most haven't ever used or owned one... But, I guess that's a good thing for the guys who can't afford an ACOG..
    After reading this, I may buy one for my cousin's DPMS for Christmas
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Damascas' point is why I prefer the styling of the Gen II, as it doesn't borrow as heavily from Trijicon as Gen I.

Despite my torture test, I ended up getting a Trijicon TX30 for my carbine. I've never owned a high-end scope, and too many here swear by the big three...So I'm takin' the plunge.

I'm still standing behind these BTMP's until they prove otherwise.

My Gen II has none of the canting issues, and after seeing what kind of abuse they can take, I'm overly pleased. I don't think I will dish it out quite that hard )torture test hard) on the Beretta Storm that the Gen II is currently residing on.

Feedback Score

bushnell mp trophy

i have this scope and for less then 200 dollars it works great the optics are clear and the green and red dots are easily visable great optic for the price and would recommend it for someone on a budget i have a gen 1 version only downside is the irons on the top of the red dot dont work for squat imho

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Anyone using a magnifier and FTS or DQ mount with this setup?
    I'm interested in getting something like this temporarily, until I can save enough for my TA01NSN-RMR.........

Feedback Score
    It's a crap sight, man. Save just a little more and get an Aimpoint C3 from Grant over at G&R Tactical. There are some other choices to be sure but the AP will be the safe and best option IMO.
    Familiarity breeds contempt -- and children.

Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by IroquoisSnakePlissken View Post
    I've been using a Bushnell MP Trophy for almost two years, and just recently procured the 2nd Generation unit to replace my first.
    But are you on the same battery after 2 years? I am with my Aimpoint. Sorry just had to brag