Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with trigger guard removal

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Help with trigger guard removal

I don't have a TM for the M16 series and as simple as it seems I'm having trouble removing the trigger guard from my 6920 for installation of a Magpul version. Is there a certain side to remove it from? Any advice on how much force to remove it with? So far it seems like I'll need a BFH. And yes, I have the front pivoted down, just having trouble with the damn rollpin.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    While any long, thin punch of the right size will work, a proper roll-pin punch is best.

I've come across a few that didn't want to budge and I had to whack them with the 5 lb hammer. I find it easier to take the grip off first and then use a bench block.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Rob,

Thank you very much for the quick reply! I wasn't sure if there was "too much" force that could be used. I'll give it another try.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    .....whack them with the 5 lb hammer.
    Rob,

Thats what I needed. A BFH (Bigger F'ing Hammer) worked. Done!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Be VERY careful to support the "ears" on either side of the trigger guard (as they can snap off).

C4

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Be VERY careful to support the "ears" on either side of the trigger guard (as they can snap off).C4
    A big +1 on this - do not break the ears, which is easily done if not propertly supported.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Gotta love the search feature I guess I need a BFH too!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Be VERY careful to support the "ears" on either side of the trigger guard (as they can snap off). C4
    in fact.., you better pay attention to C4IGrants warning, be VERY, VERY careful, i have read THREE stories in the past year about "builders" who broke off one of the "ears" and when THAT happens you now have a worthless fancy piece of black aluminum junk !!

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    While any long, thin punch of the right size will work, a proper roll-pin punch is best.

I've come across a few that didn't want to budge and I had to whack them with the 5 lb hammer. I find it easier to take the grip off first and then use a bench block.
    Rob, is there a great deal of difference between the two blocks? I'd like to get one but not two at that price....

Thanks

Buckaroo
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think the pistol block is more versatile and I use it for working on rifles as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast