Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elcan SpecterDR

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Elcan SpecterDR

I just got my shipment of these in and thought I would share some pics and thoughts. The optic is revolutionary in it design and is the best optic that ELCAN has ever made IMHO. Here are some of the key features that seperate it from all others:

1. 1X to 4X with a flip of a lever
    2. No change in eye relief (whether your on 1X or 4X)
    3. Dual illumination (can illuminate the center dot or illuminate the cross hairs)
    4. Dot and crosshairs are visible in full sun

There are also some down sides to the optic:

1. ARMS mount
    2. Heavy (1 pound 5 ounces)
    3. Eye relief is around 2" on 1X setting
    4. Lever to rotate power setting is somewhat hard to find

I want to love this optic in the worst possible way, but the eye relief on 1X really bugs me. I can get 4-5 inches of eye relief from almost any 1-4 variable powered optic. I am not a nose to charging handle shooter, but with this optic, I will have to be in order to get the full FOV. The ARMS mount is VERY tight on my rail. So tight in fact that I had to pry the levers open with a tool.
    The external elevation and windage doesn't sit all that well with me either, but I think they would be VERY difficult to bump and change your zero.

All in all, this is one of the most interesting optics to hit the Tactical market since the S&B Short Dot IMHO. It is also much cheaper than the S&B!

C4

1X No Illumination

1X with Illuminated Dot

4X No Illumination

4X with Illuminated Dot
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 06-21-06 at 15:59.

Feedback Score
    I have an AR project in mind that this would go SO well on....
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hmm i measued twice and had my wife measure twice to,
    i get little over 4" inches of eye relief on my DR on both 1x and 4x.
    GOA & NRA Life member

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by forster
    Hmm i measued twice and had my wife measure twice to,
    i get little over 4" inches of eye relief on my DR on both 1x and 4x.

Can I trade you mine for yours???

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant
    Can I trade you mine for yours???

C4

I'll pass

According to Elcans book its 70mm or 2.75 inches on 1 or 4x i just double checked again i get full fov on 1x and 4x at hair over 4 inches on mine.

Did you check 1 or multiple DR's? be curious if i for some odd reason got lucky.
    GOA & NRA Life member

Feedback Score
    Regarding the mount: It should be everyone's duty to voice their opinion at the Elcan booth the next time they're at a trade show (I.E. Shot Show). Together, we can make the world a better place. That's the ONLY thing preventing me from getting one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisara
    Regarding the mount: It should be everyone's duty to voice their opinion at the Elcan booth the next time they're at a trade show (I.E. Shot Show). Together, we can make the world a better place. That's the ONLY thing preventing me from getting one.

Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisara
    I agree. The problem is that you generally get the "sales force" at these shows. They generally do not care or even understand that there is a problem.

I also know that Elcan is working with LT on putting their superior mount onto the DR. We shall see if it makes its way to the Civy market or not.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    IF they could guarantee they solved the zero loss issues due to the mount system and IF they had a Larue mount I would be interested.

Is seems they are getting rid of all the prototype versions they had for SOCOM...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It will be prob this saturday or early next week before i can head back to the range. I'll check mine out with multipe removals to check zero at 100 yards. I wish it had larue mounts.
    GOA & NRA Life member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast